PDA

View Full Version : TV Quiz, "The Mint"

20th Nov 2006, 10:14
Very bored last night, I decided to watch some of the ITV quiz show "The Mint"

They gave the correct answer, to one of the questions asked last week, (which no one answered correctly). The question was:

Add the miles.
Bolton. 4 Miles
Widnes. 12 Miles
Formby. 23 Miles

The answer they gave was 95. ????

Does anyone have any idea how they came to this figure, as they never explain. (perhaps that's why they earn an estimated 250,000 per show

robdesbois
20th Nov 2006, 12:47
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=253005

Baffled to say the least

Fish Out of Water
20th Nov 2006, 13:42
I don't know how they get away with it - the government are investigating them all though and looking into how much they earn from it. Think the figure esp on ITV must be staggering considering most of the people that phone in are half cut and don't even know their own names let alone the answers. Good way to spend the weeks gyro - "but set yourself a limit on your number of calls" samaritans eh?

And as for that smarmy blonde headed prick presenter with the face that everyone on the planet would like to punch, don't get me started on him :ouch: .

Mercenary Pilot
20th Nov 2006, 13:53
I think they should make it a legal obligation to explain the solution on air. Rather than just standing there repeating "come on, pick up the phone" or "I know the next caller will get it" :rolleyes:

Krystal n chips
20th Nov 2006, 14:43
Very bored last night, I decided to watch some of the ITV quiz show "The Mint"
They gave the correct answer, to one of the questions asked last week, (which no one answered correctly). The question was:
Add the miles.
Bolton. 4 Miles
Widnes. 12 Miles
Formby. 23 Miles
The answer they gave was 95. ????
Does anyone have any idea how they came to this figure, as they never explain. (perhaps that's why they earn an estimated 250,000 per show

The abacus can be quite difficult to operate and grasp at times :E

robdesbois
20th Nov 2006, 14:45
Is this the one on at about 3am? I saw one after a Friday night out, the bloke is painfully bad at it. He's obviously really uncomfortable with talking ad lib and frequently just stops and stares at or off camera! When he does come up with a topic of monologue it's usually peculiar and makes no sense.

I was annoyed when didn't get through after trying to ring and take the piss.
Still, wasn't my own phone bill :} although did feel bad for contributing to such pants TV's earnings.

Lafyar Cokov
21st Nov 2006, 00:42
There is a article on it in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mint_%28TV_series%29) and discussion about a previously long running question which went:
"NINETEEN MINUS FIVE =
4 + 3 X 2 =
6 - 5 =
After many weeks and hundreds of different answers, the correct answer was revealed to be 2106."
A possible answer to this one is here....
http://theline.wordpress.com/2006/07/28/the-mint-on-itv-play#comment-775
Some may say its a bit of a con.........

eticket
4th Dec 2006, 12:15
Over the weekend the Parliamentary Channel was replaying the Culture and Media Commitee's grilling of various managers of ITV, C4 and Five about the running of these 'games'.

They squirmed and couldn't justify the top answer to 'What might you find in a lady's handbag?' - Rawlplugs!

The ITV man claimed that on average across all the ITV shows the number of calls received compared to those put through on-air works out at about 250:1. However when asked about peak times he said it was 5000:1. :eek:

Polikarpov
4th Dec 2006, 12:39
I suspect they have many possible answers to these ambiguous questions and, if someone does happen to "get it" early on, merely pick another solution.