PDA

View Full Version : Posting for the sake of posting

WestWind1950
20th Nov 2006, 08:44
Today for the first time I noticed the following message on the top of the board:
Hello WestWind1950, it appears that you have not posted on the forums for several weeks. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a debate with other members in any one of the forums?
You regulars who are on here all the time and also write all the time wouldn't notice it, but I do more reading then writing... I try to only write something when it's sensible :hmm:
Anyway, I went to open this new thread and got re-directed to the "rules- and regulations" which I had to read and accept. Now, I have no problem with that, but I have been a (good?) member for many years so this surprised me.
Oh, I feel so :( Perhaps maybe it's for the good and keeps all of us in line.... I guess. :E

Now I'll try to think of something "smart" to write more often so I don't get that notice any more.... :D
Westy

CherokeeDriver
20th Nov 2006, 09:07
ASk G-CPTN for some advice. A man with a lot of knowledge and always willing to share it!:)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
20th Nov 2006, 11:43
Has the message gone away now?

digidave
20th Nov 2006, 11:52
Thanks WestWind1950 for starting this thread, otherwise I would have had to find somewhere else to post.
Like WW1950, I only post if I feel I have something to contribute and if you look at my stats. you'll see that it doesn't happen very often.
Does anyone know how often we are expected to post to avoid the 'nag' message?
DD
p.s. It doesn't help if you get the The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later message every time you try to post either. :rolleyes:
p.p.s Followed by the This forum requires that you wait 120 seconds between posts. Please try again in 31 seconds

WestWind1950
20th Nov 2006, 12:08
yep, message is gone now!! :ok:

guess it means I have to be more active here.... like I used to be before, eh, never mind.... :p

bradfordboy
20th Nov 2006, 12:50
I was hoping someone would start a thread like this so I could get rid of the 'nagging' message I see as well:rolleyes:

aviosaurus
20th Nov 2006, 13:43
I had been a "lurker" on this site for more than four years before I registered a few months back in order to post a reply to a specific technical query. However, by the time I had typed it all out ( i'm not a fast typist) someone else had adequately replied - so I deleted the post. As a result, I'll continue to read, but only post when I've something constructive to contribe. Selfish or what?:oh:

lockton9334
20th Nov 2006, 13:52
And me!
It's almost like they are encouraging us to spam?? How strange?!?
Think I'm going to get a coffee, (http://www.cafeathome.org) see if it helps make sense of it all!
:confused:

BenThere
20th Nov 2006, 14:20
Funny, I'm only ever asked to not post.:sad:

spongebob
20th Nov 2006, 16:57
?????:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :mad:

nitro rig driver
20th Nov 2006, 17:11
i read,i agreed and mesg should go away

there-happy now

i'll be back n several weeks no doubt:\ :\

G-DAVE
20th Nov 2006, 17:15
WestWind,

Thanks for starting this thread.

There we go, that should clear the message for me as well!!

G-DAVE

Farrell
20th Nov 2006, 17:53
Hello WestWind1950, it appears that you have not posted on the forums for several weeks. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a debate with other members in any one of the forums?

It's a nice way of saying....."we miss you!"

It's also a nice way of saying..."Why not take a few moments to click on the Google ads? Or buy a personal title? Or keep our viewing numbers up so that the advertisers won't run away? (Somehow, I doubt that they would though)"

Let's face it folks...this is a great forum! I click on ten ads a day whether I need to or not......takes just a minute!

gorgeous spotter
20th Nov 2006, 21:53
Farrell, are you sure thats what it means? - we miss you? I've not posted for a couple of weeks and I've just had the same message!! Done lots of posties previously, got involved in lots of heated debates, slanging matches etc (you know!!) so what is it all about? As long as its meant to be friendly then thats OK. Sometimes we don't all have the time and energy after a days grafting at work to post on here every night. I've been busy with other things thats why I've not done it for a couple of weeks, but that doesn't mean to say that you are all not close to my heart.....You are!!:)

Gorgeous

WestWind1950
21st Nov 2006, 06:01
I must agree with Gorgeous.... we "non-posters" still cause a lot of traffic here, and if we ALL wrote new entries or wrote comments, wouldn't we bust the whole system? That would cause the server to overload, the reading doesn't. And we can click on ads even if we don't post.... so I don't see the point of the message. As you can see by the count of posts I have made, I was at one time VERY active!

Or is the whole thing explained somewhere and I missed it? :uhoh:

Westy

gizmocat
21st Nov 2006, 10:29
Has anybody noticed any changes to the posting rules ?

green granite
21st Nov 2006, 12:00
Bet you don't get one if yer banned for a month:E

lexxity
21st Nov 2006, 16:00
I get that message on another forum I use if I don't post very often. It uses the same skin as pprune, so I wonder if it is a "host" thing?

Standard Noise
21st Nov 2006, 16:22
I'll have to start posting a bit more, some buggah's nicked 1300 of me posts!
STOP, THIEF! OI MODS, I've been robbed!:{

jay_hl
21st Nov 2006, 20:24
How bloody stupid. I got this nagging message also so thought ill post it here so I don’t have to keep on looking at it only to be told as soon as I clicked the Post Reply button that I had to accept the forum rules first. And then the submit button for after your have clicked the check box to say I’ve read and understand them had a bloody countdown on so that you had to wait at least 6 second before you could click it. :ugh:

What is the world coming to.

PS
Hello jay_hl, it appears that you have not posted on the forums for several weeks. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a debate with other members in any one of the forums?

:eek:

edit: PPS also just tried to post in the IT threads and got told I had to wait 120 seconds before I submit. First of all it tells me I aint posing enought, and then it tells me am posting to often!!!!!!!!!! TYPICAL

Buster Hyman
21st Nov 2006, 20:29
Posting for the sake of posting
Hear, hear!

Major Attack
21st Nov 2006, 20:57
Normally everybody tells me to shut up, hold my breath - whatever.

And suddenly I'm told to speak my mind. But - alas - as usual I have nothing to say, so I just add my name to the current thread thus removing my message.

:hmm:

MjA

shaky
21st Nov 2006, 21:08
And here is another complete waste of bandwidth to remove that totally unnecessary message from the top of every page I view.

benhurr
21st Nov 2006, 23:57
Well after being told my posts would be deleted if I posted here (no personal title), not that I do very often, I thought I wouldn't bother posting anywhere at all.

If this message is deleted does it mean that the reminder will reappear? I am clearly getting old because even though I have read the site rules, I have a niggling suspicion that they will have changed by the morning.

Wangja
22nd Nov 2006, 00:03
Told to ask a question: what's the weather like where you are?

Sunny and cool here in Seoul.

WestWind1950
22nd Nov 2006, 19:42
so, this is my 464th post...according to my profile on the right. Now I read that some people are losing their postings completely and having to start at 0!! :uhoh:
Something is not right in the hallowed halls of Pprune? :{
Westy

G-CPTN
22nd Nov 2006, 19:53
Something is not right indeed, for, from where I read, the figures to which you refer are located on my left.

WestWind1950
22nd Nov 2006, 19:59
oooops... yes, to my left.... :\ I guess, well.... never mind :ugh: