PDA

View Full Version : More on Easy bases

Young Paul
19th Nov 2006, 14:29
I have been offered a DEC job with easyJet. (yay!)

I have to give three months' notice from my current job, but I will only be given one months' notice by easyJet of what base I am to be assigned, in accordance with their standard terms and conditions.

I realise that past performance is no guide to future performance, but does anybody know if there is currently a waiting list of company pilots trying to get into Gatwick and Stansted - and if so, roughly how long? Or if they aren't up to strength and are likely to put me there anyway, in accordance with my preference? It's all very well moving for career and lifestyle reasons, but if the lifestyle doesn't work because it's in the wrong place, then ..... well, presumably you can see the point. (Yeah, I know others would give their right arm to be offered such a choice).

Also, I know that easy don't want people to nightstop, but is there a significant amount?

I understand the need to give priority to current company pilots, but this is the one area that really gives me cause to hesitate.

ONEWORLD_86
19th Nov 2006, 14:55
Young Paul,

The majority of Pilots for easyjet are initialy streamed into LGW, as this is the largest base and subsequently requires a larger than normal workforce. Also alot of Pilots come here initialy before moving to there base of choice.

With the Madrid base opening up in 3 months time, a number of pilots from both LGW and STN shall no doubtly leave to live and work out there, and there will most likley be vacancies at both bases over that period.

With regards to the night stops, there are the odd few going, mostly to Madrid and if you wish you can inform rostering that you would like to be considered for night stops and they shall plan accordingly.

Hope to see you on the flight deck soon.

Young Paul
19th Nov 2006, 15:11
Thanks, OneWorld - that helps.

Coppi
19th Nov 2006, 16:47
Young Paul, what is the dress code for the easy assessment?
Were the interviewers dressed formally and what about the other candidates?

Rick Binson
19th Nov 2006, 17:28
Currently 19 Captains waiting to get into STN. Don't think there is a waiting list for LGW.

Young Paul
19th Nov 2006, 20:35
Coppi: As per the website. ;)

Don't worry about it - the attitude there seems to be genuinely relaxed. I saw a couple of the managers there, and they were pretty dressed-down. The panel were tidy but not formal. Just be comfortable.

I wore an open-necked longsleeve shirt that didn't need a tie and dark trousers. Neither of the other candidates with me wore a tie - one wore a jacket, the other wore a jumper. Of the group we crossed over with, three quarters wore ties.

Rick: Thanks!

Coppi
20th Nov 2006, 10:36
Thanks for the info Young Paul.

nautique
20th Nov 2006, 17:31
:) With regard to Madrid nightstops from LGW, this is a temporary measure. Regarding the conjecture over numbers leaving UK bases to go to Madrid, that is pie in the sky, as of today.

UP and Down Operator
20th Nov 2006, 22:07
Regarding the conjecture over numbers leaving UK bases to go to Madrid, that is pie in the sky, as of today.

Sorry for being stupid or ignorant, but what is meant by that?? That people ARE leaving for Madrid, or that they ARE NOT ???

Just curious as I am soon hopefully to face the same basing problem ;)

ICING AOA
20th Nov 2006, 23:02
Sorry for being stupid or ignorant, but what is meant by that??

dont worry, you are not the only one to be wondering about that :D

Madrid Barrajas is not Barcelona nor Alicante/Benidorm ! Madrid city is very expensive, and Barajas is very ugly, there is no beaches, and a very cold winter and absolutely warm summer. Adding to that, the very few routes at MAD compared to the UK bases, and moreover, living in a country where people do not speak english... I dont think that so many guys would be interrested in that base, unless obviously they are spanish.. But I might be wrong :ooh:

Young Paul
21st Nov 2006, 08:12
FWIW, Madrid is a pretty cool place to be living, you don't have to drive far north to be in some very pleasant mountain scenery, Spanish is about the easiest European language to learn, Spanish people are generally a lot more appreciative of foreigners than (say) the French are of the British, Spanish ATC is easier to work with than French, Greek or Italian, Barajas has massive runways and capacity ....

You must be young if you think that the main point of Spain is hanging around beaches with other Brits ....

AIRWAY
21st Nov 2006, 08:47
Hello,
And with more and more people leaving the UK every year (i wonder why:rolleyes: ) it wouldn’t surprise me if Easyjet’s Madrid base gets filled up pretty quick…

geespot
21st Nov 2006, 09:09
maybe from the adverts in flight there are not that many guys going to MAD at the moment. how many a/c are going to be based there, and what of the future? hopefully there will be room for all of us!:ok:

ICING AOA
21st Nov 2006, 10:41
Spanish is about the easiest European language to learn

very easy for italian and portuguese people indeed, quite easy for french people. But pretty hard for english and german people :8

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1740/00127257tx5.jpg

Young Paul
21st Nov 2006, 10:47
Spanish is the easiest European language to learn - even for English people. The fact that they (we) are rubbish at learning other languages says nothing about how hard Spanish is.

AIRWAY
21st Nov 2006, 11:39
And if you learn Spanish you are bound to "understand" Portuguese and vice-versa. :p Never know when it might be usefull... :ok:

I found Spanish easy to learn when i was at school.

7-Zark-7
21st Nov 2006, 16:08
Does anyone know what the waiting list for Luton is like. Is this a sought after base?

7-Zark-7

Ulyxes
21st Nov 2006, 17:04
Rule No.1 for the interview- no ties! You'll feel out of place.
Boeing courses still feeding Luton, another one starting December. Mind you, why would you want to fly the tractor.....?

Sky Wave
21st Nov 2006, 17:44
Mind you, why would you want to fly the tractor.....?

In my case beggars can't be choosers. Of the 3 bases that 737 courses feed into, is there a good chance of getting Luton?

SW

ONEWORLD_86
21st Nov 2006, 18:04
Most likley is the answer, im not sure what the latest requirements are, but as of last month there were vacancies at Luton. Are you a F/O or Cpt?

Sky Wave
21st Nov 2006, 22:51
I'm a CTC ATP cadet.

SW

Coppi
22nd Nov 2006, 13:34
Is it common for a Boeing rated/experienced guy to be offered an Airbus base/job at easy?

ONEWORLD_86
22nd Nov 2006, 16:22
No not really, it does happen in the odd circumstance, but the recruitment is driven around demand and cost, and so if an application comes through from someone who fits the percieved demand, i.e. qualified on type, then they shall be invited for interview with their prefered base in mind.

I admit this is more likley for Boeing Pilots, as those bases are not receiving new aircraft and are pretty stable, meaning that the management can recruit lower numbers to cover specific requiremnts, i.e attrition.

Marvo
22nd Nov 2006, 17:28
Got the call this morning ! I am currently an F/O on the 737NG for another low-cost operator and I start an easy airbus course in Feb ! Hoping for a Gatwick base. (Fingers crossed)

crew the screw
22nd Nov 2006, 18:08
Nice one Marvo keep us posted :ok:

flight scchool
22nd Nov 2006, 19:02
this one s for icing AofA, please please stop putting false info on the forums, all you seem to want to do is stop people moving over to spain, get a life dude.

madrids a good spot, lived there for a long time its far from ugly, speak a few languages and spanish is def the easiest, at least to get a basic level, and im a native english speaker, ive seen you put so many false posts on this subject, its very misleading.please stop.

Waggon rut
22nd Nov 2006, 20:29
I too have been offered a airbus feb start, also off the tractor with flat panels.
Wagg

ONEWORLD_86
23rd Nov 2006, 09:50
Hmm. I seem to stand corrected.

Cleared ILS approach
23rd Nov 2006, 13:52
Hi Wagon root and Marvo,

When are you starting in Feb? I'm starting as well my airbus course in Dibden in february. Could you send me a PM?

Best regards

Hufty
23rd Nov 2006, 14:04
Could anybody tell me how popular the Edinburgh and Glasgow bases are - F/O??

Thanks...

Scottie
23rd Nov 2006, 17:49
As there are quite a few SFO's upgrading to Captain at EDI/GLA the waiting times to get into the bases will not be long. Last time I checked (a couple of months ago) there were no FO's waiting to get into these bases.

The difficulty will come when it is time to upgrade to the LHS as spaces are few and far between at these bases. It is already becoming dead mans shoes with about 9 people on the EDI waiting list looking for a Captains position at the base. With a three aircraft base you could be looking at a 2 year wait if you're number 9.

Coppi
23rd Nov 2006, 18:16
Would it not be possible to change your base in order to upgrade faster to the LHS?

Scottie
23rd Nov 2006, 19:07
Absolutely Coppi. However most people are in the regions for lifestyle purposes so getting there as an FO and then having to leave after a couple of years to go to another base for a couple of years poses problems!

Coppi
23rd Nov 2006, 20:39
That is understandable. Thanks Scottie.

Max Angle
23rd Nov 2006, 22:14
Anyone got any idea how long it will be before LTN is an Airbus base?.

Bigbus330
24th Nov 2006, 10:59
Hi all. Just wondering if anybody has any information about popularity of LPL as a base,and how difficult it would be to get based there as a D/E type rated SFO?
Best regards,
BB330. :)

ICING AOA
24th Nov 2006, 17:17
Flight school, before you carry on drifting this topic towards something which does not interrest anybody here, I would like to give you a quick reply regarding your last post.
First of all, I think that pprune readers are not as stupid as you are describing them, and I guess they are mature enough to decide by semselves which base (UK, Germany, Italy, France, Spain, etc...) would be the most suitable for them, rather than by only quoting me... or you :) .
The aim of such a forum is to let everybody participate by expressing their own thoughs and personal convictions ;). So, what I was trying to say was just that MAD base will obviously not be as big as STN or LGW. There will be much less destinations to fly to. Moreover, Madrid is not as multicultural as Barcelona or Valencia. It is also very cold in winter and to much warm in summer. It is of course a pretty city, but the housing and lifestyle are as bloody expensive as London (yeah, Spain doesn't use las pesetas anymore :sad: ) ! and Barrajas is less expensive but very, very ugly (and I have never heard anybody denying this fact).
Finaly, living abroad is not that easy (I know what I am saying). When you live abroad, you are not anymore this kind of tourist that goes from time to time on holidays for a week or two...:=
When you live in a foreign country which by definition is not yours, you really have to adopt its culture, its language, its local people (not only the girls eh,!:eek: )... If you fail to comply with those basic things, you will just saddly feel like "foreigner" and you wont be that happy.
Look at Beckam familly...in spite of their money, they just both feel better when they are back in UK :}

speak a few languages and spanish is def the easiest, at least to get a basic level,

It is what I wrote above ! the basic level, just keep it when you are a "tourist" on holidays, only ! :ok:

" ola un' cewbesa po' favo"; "vuley vou khoocher ave moi cesoi"; "viva italia"; "ish liebadish" :ouch:

PGA
25th Nov 2006, 14:29
Starting on the bus in feb too, anybody and ideas if there is a shortage at all of fo`s in Berlin?

Easy Ryder
25th Nov 2006, 15:57
Could anybody tell me how popular the Edinburgh and Glasgow bases are - F/O??
Thanks...

Hufty! its been a VERY LONG time my friend how are you. (Chums at Bristol during the IR!)

Anyway, i'll let you on a lil secret that another good friend of mine at MON used at the interview, which resulted with him being offered EDI as a base along with the job offer.

During the interview he was told the usual 1 month before start we'll advise you of base. A scottish base being a primary reason for moving outfits and also having to give 3 months notice with MON, he told them at the interview 'i might as well stop you right there as i dont wanna waste your time - i have to give 3 months notice im not gonna quit a job not knowing where i'll be sent I want EDI, GLA or Newcastle'. The response was 'we'll see what we can do'. And as a result he's now a happy man in EDI

They're desperate for pilots at most bases, from what i can gather so if you have an interview push the point. :ok:

Dct_Bombi
25th Nov 2006, 16:16
I believe they are converting the liverpool base from boeing to airbus,,But does anyone have any idea when they might covert their Belfast base to Airbus???

OSCAR YANKEE
25th Nov 2006, 19:25
PGA!
Long list of people wanting to go to Berlin.
have a friend in LGW who has been waiting since FEB...

OY

Craggenmore
25th Nov 2006, 20:05
Bigbus330,

I am quite new to the company (6 months in) but two chaps on my type rating course put their names down during August 2006 and their transfers have now come through. Things change quickly though. Good luck.

Bigbus330
27th Nov 2006, 18:35
Thanks Craggenmore.
Just weighing up my options and a LPL base is high on the list.
BB330

Lagoon100
28th Nov 2006, 08:38
Hi,

- any idea how long the waiting list for a Basel base is for F/O?

- any idea if there is something about the rumor for a AC in ZRH

- any idea if there are there plans for an additional AC in BSL

Thanks a lot for any info

cheers

ccc111
28th Nov 2006, 09:53
Could any one tell me how life is being based in Bristol. cheers:eek:

SX737
13th Dec 2006, 14:21
Hi everyone. I am starting as a SFO on the NG this January based in Luton. How are things in Luton? Anyone know of any other new bases soon to be open preferably in southeastern Europe?:)

unablereqnavperf
13th Dec 2006, 18:07
None on the 737 its a dieing fleet!

blanza
13th Dec 2006, 22:21
thank you very much, looks you know well my city, anyway im facing the interviw in jannuary and for me its a priority, contact me and i´ll give a ride in the beatifull areas of my city

papyjo
17th Dec 2006, 14:37
Hi there,
Just finishined my on line application and I was wondering as a low experienced skipper(4600hrs TT, 4200hrs medium jet and 600hrs A320 family PIC), what the competitive minima were for DEC ?
I would also like to know what salary to expect after all taxes are deducted, for a left hand seater in berlin, milano and soon madrid.
Are UK's bases mandatory on joining EZY ?
I like England and especially london, but the taxation rate is too high for me in the UK.
To be frank, I most want to leave my current company on financial grounds:mad: . I am making 6000 - 1500 (25%tax) = 4500 € monthly:( , given the market standards, it is not very much:sad: .
If I managed to land the job:) , it would then be very useful for me to avoid England's 40% tax;) , not yet considering the cost of living :ouch: !
Many thanks in advance for your help and advices:ok: .

ZBMAN
17th Dec 2006, 15:35
If I managed to land the job:) , it would then be very useful for me to avoid England's 40% tax;) , not yet considering the cost of living :ouch: !

You don't pay 40% tax in the uk. Only the proportion of your salary above a certain level (36k ? can't remember) is taxed at 40%.
It's a completely different system than France.
Overall I reckon you would actually pay less in tax in the uk, but it is probably compensated by the fact that property is expenesive over here.

papyjo
17th Dec 2006, 16:47
Thank you ZBMAN, I did not know that.:ok:

Do you have any relevant answer to the rest of my questions ?

Happy landings, cheers.:)

calypso
17th Dec 2006, 17:16
Income tax is ofcourse only a (smallish) part of the picture. If you take into account the overall tax burden, including council tax, road tax, tv licence, fuel tax, vat, etc, etc I will doubt very much that you pay more tax in France.

Income tax only represents ( I cannot remember the exact figure) about 30% of the public income.

SX737
19th Dec 2006, 11:17
Anybody, do you know if any new Airbus bases are opening in the near or distant future??? I mean they have to put the newly ordered aircraft somewhere!:)

Kraut
19th Dec 2006, 12:59
New bases with EZY? Line crews will get the news not before the press media.
Maybe folks in LTN walking through the offices sometimes have a better grapewine info level!

jkl
19th Dec 2006, 15:37
Gillespie,

Bristol has the reputation of a good base, to be honest most of the regional bases within EasyJet are similar in the way they are set up & Bristol certainly seems to be a popular base within EasyJet.

If you are joining as an F/O then the waiting list is not too bad as there is plenty on movement around at the moment with people & aircraft. I was offered a date for an internal transfer to Bristol inc a Airbus type rating all from being on the waiting list for around 3 weeks.

:)

ZBMAN
19th Dec 2006, 17:44
Income tax is ofcourse only a (smallish) part of the picture. If you take into account the overall tax burden, including council tax, road tax, tv licence, fuel tax, vat, etc, etc I will doubt very much that you pay more tax in France.

Income tax only represents ( I cannot remember the exact figure) about 30% of the public income.

About 25% gets deducted from your salary each month, and that's purely the equivalent of National Insurance contributions in the uk and does NOT include Income Tax. Income tax is payed annualy in France, and involves loads of paperwork, and it is also very complicated.
There are also two different sets of local taxes, more or less equivalent to the uk council tax. Also if you own a home you will be taxed a proportion of it's value each year. You would also pay more VAT in France.
I reckon a typical pilot living in France would see at least half of his salary going up in smoke due to NI+income tax, not including all the other taxes.
So if you want to pay less tax, France is not the place to go I'm afraid. BUT property is cheap, food excellent, and interest rates are still quite low.