PDA

View Full Version : Airliner Fuel Dumping-Routine or Emergencies Only?

jerrytug
19th Nov 2006, 12:44
Hi guys we are having a right ding dong knockabout argument here and it needs to be settled. Andy says it is normal for airliners to jettison fuel before they land,just to get rid of any excess. I say why would they,there is commercial pressure to save every last drop and,if the aircraft happened to be fitted with dump valves,fuel would ONLY be dumped to reduce the landing weight,but this is not intended to be done ideally,only if something untoward occurs. I know I am right yea or nea ta Jerry

Old Aero Guy
19th Nov 2006, 13:04
Fuel jettison is never part of a normal flight plan. By regulation, you should not arrive at the destination at a weight higher than the MLW (Max. Landing Weight).

Rainboe
19th Nov 2006, 15:15
Andy is well wrong! Fuel dumping is an emergency procedure only, period. Preflight, there are three main calculations that take place:
1 Weight of fuel for take off plus plane and pax is below Max take off weight
2 Weight for landing is below Max landing weight
3 Weight of empty plane plus payload and crew is below Max zero fuel weight (a structural limitation)

Sometimes it varies which of these may be limiting for a particular flight, but they are all checked. Sometimes runway/weather conditions may cause additional weight restrictions. Definitely uncool to arrive at your destination and find you are too heavy to land.
Not been PC here- you should substitute 'Mass' for 'Weight' these days if you are a saddo

jerrytug
19th Nov 2006, 17:12
Thanx guys I can really lord it over him now