PDA

View Full Version : Foggles or Hood

gcolyer
19th Nov 2006, 12:11
I am looking at buying a pair of foggles or a hood for IR training. I am just not sure what is best.

I wear glasses so what ever I get I need to consider how they will fit. I have tried both already. I found the hood kept slipping about and the foggles did not fit over my glasses.

So does anyone have any recommendations on what is better and specific makes?

Blinkz
19th Nov 2006, 12:22
I was under the impression that the IR has to be done with screens, doesn't it say that in the standards documents?

gblen
20th Nov 2006, 10:33
Never mind hood/foggles/screen. fold your half mil chart a certain way, pop it under your headset, bang. instant imc. youll look pretty sharp too.

IR training has to be behind screens as far as the CAA are concerned.

Superpilot
20th Nov 2006, 10:48
IR training has to be behind screens as far as the CAA are concerned.

....on top of that, for me and many others a hood/goggles just adds to the discomfort!

Wee Jumbo
20th Nov 2006, 13:33
G'Day!

Screens are by far the best way to go, or a specially folded map as someone pointed out. Reason being that the foggles or hood are not foolproof, and as honest a guy as you may be, if your shooting a VOR or NDB approach and you catch a glimpse of the runway out the corner of your eye, it becomes difficult not to make a correction if it is needed. With the screens you cant see s**t, so no room for that happening!

WJ