PDA

View Full Version : Aerad or Jeppesen

lowen
19th Nov 2006, 11:59
I am just about to start my IR, i have been using a mixture of the two, but i would like to start using ones i will be using in the future,Just wondering what the airlines use(i know this is a wide question) and people recomendations
cheers

Gillespie
19th Nov 2006, 13:04
Personally I prefer Aerads, but I'd get used to using Jepps as most carriers use them. They're cheaper - the beancounters always prevail.

BobbyK
19th Nov 2006, 15:19
Ive recently been working at Jeppesen (im assuming youre talking about the UK) and these are the airlines which use them:
Easyjet
Thomas Cook
Thomsonfly
Excel
Virgin
Monarch
Netjets
Astraues
Flyglobespan
Mytravel
Air Contractors

Think thats all of them so quite a considerable number of Uk airlines. I dont know much about Aerads though im afraid.

class a
19th Nov 2006, 16:22
Aerad for me much easier to read

High Wing Drifter
19th Nov 2006, 16:44
As was explained to me and makes sense, Aerad are clearer at first sight but tend to encourage cherrypicking of information which means it is more possible to omit data. Jepps are specifically designed to be read in a cirtain way, from top left to bottom right. The briefing strip at the top covers all the salient features of an approach plate. If you use the strip and read the chart as designed you won't omit any relevant information during the briefing. Works well and I'm converted.

I think BA use Aerad as they use to have (or still do) and interest in the company.

Jinkster
20th Nov 2006, 22:00
Ryanair also use Jepps

Wee Jumbo
20th Nov 2006, 22:13
I would get used to using Jepp. Most carriers, countries, FBOs around the world hold Jepp. I also find Aerad in th UK or Nos in the US easier to read, but stick to using the Jepps as thats what I tend to find anywhere I go. Besides, didnt you use Jeppcharts in your route manual when doing your subjects???

Impress to inflate
21st Nov 2006, 13:39
I have used Aerad for ten years with a spell using Jepp for a year and I definitely find Aerad a thousand times easier to use. On the Jepp plate we used regularly it had ALL the Sid and stars on a VERY thin peace of tissue paper. Needless to say it did not last long. Aerad every time.

lowen
22nd Nov 2006, 14:36
seems like jepps are the way forward for my career as most carriers use them, all though i do prefer Aerad! at £400 yr i dont realy want to make the wrong choice!

LFS
22nd Nov 2006, 15:00
You shouldn't have to buy a complete set (unless you particularly want one yourself) The school doing your IR should have a complete set for the UK and should provide you with copies for your course. Alternatively Aerad (and presumably Jepps) produce individual booklets for a single aerodrome, although this wouldnt provide you with the updates.

scroggs
22nd Nov 2006, 20:47
Why on earth would you want to buy the plates? They will be provided for you on any course you undertake and in any job you subsequently get. If you need to look up a procedure, all the information is online via AIPs (http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/login.jsp). Current aviation charts of any kind are very expensive, and most students have better uses for their money!

Scroggs

lowen
23rd Nov 2006, 12:14
thx for that scroggs, just checked it out, very helpful, your right i do have alot of other things to save for, like the 60k its going to take to get through flight school(flight manuals inc. :)

Jinkster
23rd Nov 2006, 15:48
ATPL examinations use Jepps.

IR training - the big cranfield based school i was at used AERADS.

Personally i prefer AERADs but its a Jepp world!!

- if you can, get used to both!!

Mercenary Pilot
23rd Nov 2006, 16:33
From my experience in air taxi, Aerads are alot cheaper to use then Jepps in regards to a plates and updates service only. I'm not sure why the airlines choose Jepp but I think it has something to do with flight planning and briefing services offered as a package.

I like the new Aerads layout but there are still alot of fields in the UK that need to have the modern layout applied to the plates.

The old Aerads style plates that are still in use for alot of the smaller European airports are not great IMO because they are very easy to misinterpret.