PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Laptop problem

IanH
19th Nov 2006, 10:43
Hello folks,

Hope you are all having a good weekend ?

I have started getting a slightly annoying problem with my laptop which hopefully some kind person can advise me on.

My laptop has started to ' Hibernate' and wont let me switch it back on. It shows the Intel badge for a couple of seconds and then switches off again. My laptop runs on Windows XP and is only a few months old. Is there a way of changing the amount of time before it hibernates or indeed disabling it altogether ?

Any advice greatly received !

Many thanks,

IanH

Saab Dastard
19th Nov 2006, 12:11
Control Panel, Power management.

Disable hibernation.

You may also want to go into the BIOS and check what power management options are available and adjust them also.

Keep a record of what the settings were before you fiddle - though there is always the option to restore factory defaults.

SD

Newforest
19th Nov 2006, 12:34
I have a similar problem, not hibernation, but AOL frequently disconnects me, especially during a game and then automatically reconnects me. Why?

Oxeagle
19th Nov 2006, 12:59
Newforest,
Is your AOL connection wired or wireless? And I take it that it is broadband?

Newforest
19th Nov 2006, 14:07
Newforest,
Is your AOL connection wired or wireless? And I take it that it is broadband? Wired and broadband!

Oxeagle
19th Nov 2006, 17:25
Ok, how is your broadband modem connected to the computer, USB or ethernet? Was the AOL connection working perfectly before? Is it a new connection? If it is new, make sure you have microsplitters connected to all of the phone sockets that are in use

IanH
19th Nov 2006, 19:10
Thanks very much to everyone who took the time to reply, I think I have got it sorted now !

Newforest
20th Nov 2006, 07:11
Ok, how is your broadband modem connected to the computer, USB or ethernet? Was the AOL connection working perfectly before? Is it a new connection? If it is new, make sure you have microsplitters connected to all of the phone sockets that are in use

The problem started after I changed from dial up to broadband and I use an USB connection. Not sure where the microsplitters are but there is only one phone connection.

Oxeagle
20th Nov 2006, 08:56
Ah right, you need to have a microsplitter plugged into any active phone socket, and the phone and modem plugs into the microsplitter otherwise the internet will keep dropping out. Also, if your broadband modem/router has an ethernet port it is best to use it over the USB port. If possible try this as well and see if it keep dropping out

spannersatcx
20th Nov 2006, 09:41
microsplitter or more commonly know as a microfilter http://www.shop.bt.com/content/ebiz/btshop/invt/cbw102/I231492.jpg