PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Type to FAA Type rating

Spigot
22nd Dec 2005, 06:47
Greetings!
In a limbo here...I am presently flying MD11's for an Asian
cargo company.I am a PIC,with over 5.000hs on MD's.Being ICAO ATP and type rated(Brazilian DAC/DCA endorsment),I would like to obtain an FAA ATP&Type rating on the MD,in my reccurent training,on the approved class "D" simulator.
Have already sent in the verification of autenticity for my licence,will forego the written exam,and my instructor is FAA approved checkrider.
Question;Can I take the ATP&rating on the sim?Can a FAA ATP be issued with the MD11 rating?There are opinions regarding having to do a full MD11 course& simulator training,for the type rating to be on the FAA ATP(15G's),unfortunatly,this is not an option for me.
Based on the info on FAA form 8710-1 section II,block "D"under
foreign licence,it states certificates/ratings based on a foreign licence.
Need some expertise help/feedback.Planning a visit to a nearby FSDO,with this matter.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers and safe Flights!
Spigot

B200Drvr
23rd Dec 2005, 03:34
Spigot,
There are many "if's and but's" with the FAA system, so the best thing to do would be to take the trip to the FSDO or contact Oklahoma in person. To MY knowledge, you would have to write the Part 121 ATP written and attend a full type rating course. (approved by the FAA) which would consist of a checkride covering both the MD 11 aswell as the ATP. This is for them to ensure that you can not only fly the machine (which you obviously can) but that you are knowledgable about the U.S. Federal aviation system.
Again this is just my opinion as an FAA rated instructor.
Good Luck

Spigot
23rd Dec 2005, 10:27
Thanks B200Drvr
I have an appointment with FSDO today,lets see.
Thank you for your inputs,comments.
Have a Great Holliday& a Cheerful new Year!
Spigot

maxpwr
9th Oct 2006, 18:30
Is there any exemption by teh FAA allowing to operate aircraft above 12500 LBS as PIC with a FAA ATP on aircraft that are not certified in the US ? The type will not appear on the license but will be stated in the Pilots Log Book as an entry confirming passing an equivalent level of training required by the FAA...

B200Drvr
10th Oct 2006, 17:40
If I understand you correctly, you want to fly an aeroplane on a validation of your FAA ATP. Stand to be corrected, but if that is the case, you can only fly and aircraft on a validation of your FAA license if you have a type rating for that aircraft on your FAA ATP. In this case it is not certified in the US so it is not on your FAA certificate. This means you cannot fly it on your FAA license, or use your FAA license validation to fly it.

discus2
18th Nov 2006, 19:30
Hi there,
I hold an FAA ATPL (1900 type rating on it) plus another current ICAO ATPL (with ATR type on it) .
How can i have my ICAO ATR type rating validated on my FAA certificate?
What does it take?
Many thx for any info!