PDA

View Full Version : JPA Security - Should I be concerned?

Banana Boy
18th Nov 2006, 19:29
Having spoken to the JPA 'Help' Desk a few times it is clear that the operatives have little military knowledge....which begs the question, 'Who are they?' Do they have any background checks imposed, or are we trusting all our addresses, NOK details, bank details, etc to persons who might use the information in an inappropriate manner? Can anybody reassure me that this is not a major security issue?

Pontius Navigator
18th Nov 2006, 19:49
BB I cannot answer your question but I can make an observation.

You have a job vacancy. You advertise. You interview and you accept.

Now you are a contractor contracted to provide a service and you will be penalised if you do not. Your organisation was lean at the outset and you are now, by definition, short handed.

a. Do you tell the successful applicant, well done, come back in 3 months or so when we have your security clearance?

b. Or do you employ them the following week and accept the risk?

If you tell then to wait for what is, in all probability a low paid position, do you think they will wait or will they continue their job search and go to a higher bidder?

My contractor invariably follows Plan b.

The JPA| contractor will of course follow Plan ....

L J R
18th Nov 2006, 22:33
You got THROUGH to the help desk????..........what was it like?

MilSpFunc
20th Nov 2006, 09:39
To a fairly large extent the people dealing with you on the help desk are the same people who were dealing with your information before JPA. There is a turnover of staff but there always has been. The contractor has to have new employees vetted and checked throgh the same military systems as are used to check and vet service personnel.

The Masked Geek
20th Nov 2006, 11:27
JPA Security? There's an oxymoron if ever I heard one.

H5N1
20th Nov 2006, 16:55
I wouldn't worry about the security of your details, JPA is guaranteed to have all your information incorrect anyway

Pontius Navigator
20th Nov 2006, 17:05
There is a turnover of staff but there always has been. The contractor has to have new employees vetted and checked throgh the same military systems as are used to check and vet service personnel.

This is correct but I refer to my earlier post. Is the clearance done after they start work or before?

Many contractors cannot pay staff while they are unproductive; they cannot operate while these staff are unproduction; they cannot afford to wait as a better job may come along. True, if they allowed for inactive staff in their initial bid well fair enough, OTOH that would have put their bid offer up and risk losing the contract.

Draw your own conclusions.

movadinkampa747
20th Nov 2006, 17:26
Draw your own conclusions? Hmm ok

For a start JPA Contracts reverts throughout infructuosus personel. How can infructuosus personel complain before an interim monopoly? Can infructuosus personel turn down JPA Contracts? Lots of unanswered questions by EDS
It is important to realise that security checks overprices infructuosus personel and whatever machine pulses behind JPA it discontinues your security details into a matrix.

Ordynants
20th Nov 2006, 17:50
This news article about call centres in Glasgow makes fun reading.....JPAC
isn't located there, is it??
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6089736.stm

movadinkampa747
20th Nov 2006, 17:58
JPAC Enquiry Centre,
Mail Point 465,
Kentigern House,
65 Brown Street,
GLASGOW,:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
G2 8EX
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Templates/GenerateThumbnail.aspx?imageURL=/NR/rdonlyres/9FFA8858-F5CC-4781-AB35-7176E9F46936/0/jpac_operator_177x162.jpg&maxSize=210
Nasty criminal in action stealing your pay. That is why some people didnt get paid.

Wannabe1974
20th Nov 2006, 18:01
I had a wonderful conversation today with the JPA Helpline on asking how to pay back some money after I had been overpaid for a claim. Advice from the helpline:
"You need to phone your UPO"
Advice from UPO:
"We can't deal with that. You have to phone the helpline" (Blood pressure slowly rising at this point. No great surprise though).
Finally got an answer back this afternoon (from UPO):
"We don't think we can do that. Our advice is to just wait and see if anything comes of it".
Me (incredulous) "In other words just wait and see if I get court- martialled and lose my pension or not?".
"Yes".
Blood pressure goes through roof....

mayorofgander
20th Nov 2006, 18:05
GLASGOW,:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Nasty criminal in action stealing your pay. That is why some people didnt get paid.

Those nasty criminals paid me far too much. Apparently it will take nearly 2 years to reclaim it at 4 days per month.:D
Meanwhile it is making 5%:ok:

There'll be a 'kiss' coming your way with lip like that Dinky boy!!!:ugh:

MOG

Father Jack Hackett
20th Nov 2006, 18:11
Even if you could trust 100% of the staff, I am very reliably informed that the Oracle software which JPA runs on is rubbish and very easy to hack into....

The Masked Geek
20th Nov 2006, 18:28
You don't need to hack into it. JPA is an open door, look for the little padlock that you get with online banking next time you log in.....

vecvechookattack
21st Nov 2006, 23:54
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6171468.stm

Is JPA next ?