PDA

View Full Version : Video of last flight wing commander F4

Pittsle
18th Nov 2006, 09:39
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApM_f-jBlP0

Video of last flight of a wing commander.
Must have been 20 years ago. Nowadays he would have lost his license before landing.

airborne_artist
18th Nov 2006, 10:02
What license would that be? Serving military pilots don't have to hold licenses to fly military aircraft.

Mmmmnice
18th Nov 2006, 10:46
Top quality beat-up; but as they say - 'you'll go straight to hell for that one'
Like most banned/inadvisable activities that sort of thing is only seen in the 'quieter' operational corners - and less so since people started sticking everything on the internet!.........not to mention the obvious lack of consideration when someone uses their crew to make a smoking hole in the ground (Bud Holland's B52 springs to mind)

Ali Barber
18th Nov 2006, 12:11
Looks like the Richtofen Wing and the Germans did have licences for military pilots back then; don't know if they still do. That second pass looked a bit scary when he demonstrated the lack of vertical component of lift and the nose started dropping. Who'd want to be a nav/WSO??!!

Tourist
18th Nov 2006, 13:33
Pittsle

"Must have been 20 years ago. Nowadays he would have lost his license before landing."

And that is what is wrong with the military of today.

The military recruits the sort of person that is suitable for aircrew, ie v.low arousal levels coupled with self-competetive spirit and a long term relationship with their adrenal glands, and then is surprised when they do risky things.

The thing which makes them suitable is also likely to cause the occasional smokey hole.

It is what the supervisors of flying displays have too deal with. Show offs are the antithesis of what they want flying low and near the public, but who else would give up every weekend for a season if not a show off looking for adulation?

Bit like complaining when Paras or Booties have pub brawls. You select for aggressive loyal and physical types but are horrified when they get aggressive, loyal and physical in a bar.

Background Noise
18th Nov 2006, 15:21
What license would that be? Serving military pilots don't have to hold licenses to fly military aircraft.
Luftwaffe pilots do I think.

WIWOL92
18th Nov 2006, 17:46
When I was on exchange with the GAF, many moons ago, all pilots had licences - and were required to carry them when flying! They never quite understood the RAF's reliance on log book entries.

soddim
18th Nov 2006, 20:28
'Last Trips' are fraught with hazard and best avoided. I have always subscribed to a policy of scheduling a last trip after the last programmed sortie an aircraft is provided for.

My own 'last trips' have always provided great satisfaction well away from home base and the return has always been routine. Why the need to 'show off'?

hobie
18th Nov 2006, 20:43
I was wondering if the Nav got out after landing and punched the WC on the nose ? ..... :p

ps. nice music .... :)

Hueymeister
19th Nov 2006, 09:13
Had to have my 'Licence' renewed annually when on exchange with the Luftwaffe, which included a special licence to fly IFR within the mighty Federal Republic.

Ewan Whosearmy
19th Nov 2006, 14:01

Uh, the Luftwaffe and numerous other European air forces do indeed 'license' their aircrew.