PDA

View Full Version : Uk To Usa Under Vwp - Help Urgently Required

Joe Black
17th Nov 2006, 19:44
Hey all,

I have a fairly obscure problem in that I am about to travel to the states in the next few days, however around 2 years ago I was fined £50 for being intoxicated through alcohol in my days as an imature youth! Will this prevent me from getting into the states under the VWP? I am in the military and have been to the states 3 times already this year.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

derekl
17th Nov 2006, 23:40
Umm, so what's new? You've already been to the States three times since this happened and you haven't had a problem, so why should it be different this time?

As far as I'm aware, a minor incident such as you quote is no bar to entering the States as a visitor under the Visa Waver Program. (I'm not a lawyer, but I've visited the States literally hundreds of times and I currently hold an L-1 visa because I work for my company there.)

Globaliser
18th Nov 2006, 12:32
... however around 2 years ago I was fined £50 for being intoxicated through alcohol ...Did your work travel to the US come under the VWP or were you doing it via a different route as military?

It's a pity that you're travelling so soon and didn't ask earlier. The rules are quite clear about this. The US Embassy website (http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/niv/arrests_and_convictions.html) gives the following unequivocal advice:- Travelers with minor traffic offenses and those with Arrests and/or Convictions

Travelers with minor traffic offenses which did not result in an arrest and/or conviction for the offense may travel visa free, provided they are otherwise qualified. If you are not sure whether or not you are eligible to travel visa free, the only way to resolve this question would be to apply for a visa.

If the traffic offense occurred while you were in the United States, and you have an outstanding fine against you or you did not attend your court hearing, it is possible there may be a warrant out for your arrest, and you will experience problems when applying for admission into the U.S. Therefore you should resolve the issue before traveling by contacting the court where you were to appear. If you do not know the address of the court then information is available from the Internet at www.uscourts.gov/links.html (http://www.uscourts.gov/links.html).

Travelers who have been arrested, even if the arrest did not result in a criminal conviction, and those with criminal records, (the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to U.S. visa law), are required to apply for visas. If they attempt to travel without a visa, they may be refused entry into the United States. Please follow this link for further information (http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/niv/add_crime.html).

Rick Storm
19th Nov 2006, 16:06
Hi All
Have travelled to the US on numerous occasions under the VWP (got done at home in the UK 84..failing to supply breath sample...12 month ban and fine) never had probs. The US data base for UK driving/court/fines offences starts from 1990 Anything before that they don't know about. Tick all the boxes and have a good holiday.

Rick