PDA

View Full Version : unkown jet

cymruflier
17th Nov 2006, 13:03
Can anybody ID this http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/adriancyriljones/detail?.dir=3000re2&.dnm=ccb2re2.jpg&.src=ph

Seen doing circuits and bumps at Caernarfon airfield.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
17th Nov 2006, 13:10
Jet Provost... similar to this:

http://www.brendan-mccartney.fotopic.net/p30610878.html

cymruflier
17th Nov 2006, 13:17
Thank you. I thought it was but age prevented me from recalling the name. Would be interested to know more if anyone out there can tell me - owner, base, etc.

fradu
17th Nov 2006, 13:27
Your aeroplane looks very much like BAC Strikemaster Mk.82A '425'.
Now known as G-SOAF, it is based at Hawarden with North Wales Military Aviation Services (NWMAS).

cymruflier
17th Nov 2006, 14:12
Thank you Heathrow Director and Fradu. I can follow up on that.

Talking of Hawarden does anyone know the fate of the DH Rapide that used to overfly me? In one of which my feet first left the ground.

Or the Mosquito that was based there? Once upon a time I used to live in smallsville (aka Pantymwyn) and the pilot that flew it lived close by and played Gloff on the course to my lower left - facing the aft of Chez Nous.
One day checking my SLR in the boudoir I heard (actually felt) two Merlins and snapped a picture of the top surfaces of said aircraft. Sadly the negative did not survive a divorce.

OK, maybe if I'd spent less time in the Boudoir playing with my 135 telephoto lens and 2 times multiplier I wouldn't have to do my own cooking (Someone was going to say it).

The whole bloody lot 2 bodies, 5 lenses, slide copier etc., et al was knicked - along with a duck (an hour short of rigour mort.). The little sh** did time for it and now lears and threatens me when under the flooance - since I have form for prtotecting a bus shelter the Plod have warned me off unless I want a striped sun tan. Oh for a perfect world.

airborne_artist
17th Nov 2006, 15:13
CF - there were two UK-based airworthy Mossies - the RR one which was very sadly lost, with both crew, at Barton, July 21, 1996, while the other was bought by Kermit Weeks and exported to the US and is now on display at Oshkosh.

cymruflier
17th Nov 2006, 15:26
Airborne artist - thanks for that.

May I make so bold as to ask if there is significance in your nom de plume?

I would like to trace the original artist of a superb watercolour of a 9 sqdn Wellington post a crash landing in Norfolk/Suffolk. My father was the Observer.

possel
17th Nov 2006, 17:37
Now I feel REALLY old, seeing a post that tags a Jet Provost as an "unknown aircraft"!! (someone had to say it, I'm sure I am not alone):)

REF
17th Nov 2006, 18:07
More Jet Provost Photos Here (http://www.richardflagg.fotopic.net/search.php?txt=provost&t=p) though they are not particularly great quality I'm afraid!

airborne_artist
17th Nov 2006, 19:38
CF - my nom de plume stems from my military service. See the Dakota for static line thread.

My talent with paint is limited to using emulsion or gloss as required.