PDA

View Full Version : Non Resident for UK tax - are the rules changing?

Yarpy
16th Nov 2006, 12:20
I have just hear a snippet on the BBC's Working Lunch programme which the commuters take not of. Apparently the Inland Revenue have decreed that arrival and departure into the UK are to be counted as days in the UK.

Also a link to the FT: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/cbd69c5c-7517-11db-bc76-0000779e2340.html

I suggest commuters perk their ears up ASAP.

manintheback
16th Nov 2006, 15:00
been there , read the book and all that

'The tribunal rejected Mr Gaines-Cooper's claim that he had moved his domicile on the ground he retained UK connections. As well as educating his son in the UK and visiting his wife who was mainly based in Britain, he visited regularly for pheasant shooting, Royal Ascot and the Rolls-Royce Enthusiasts Club rally.'

The above has been the case for years. Thats why when you leave you get a form from the revenue asking if you retain a house for your use, wife and childs situation and all that. Its always been the case they can use it to override the guidance on days. So no change at all.

fantom
16th Nov 2006, 16:00
The above has been the case for years. Thats why when you leave you get a form from the revenue asking if you retain a house for your use, wife and childs situation and all that. Its always been the case they can use it to override the guidance on days. So no change at all.

The Telegraph reported:

"This ruling will affect many so-called 'Monaco millionaires' who fly into London every Monday morning and then go home every Wenesday evening.

"Before the Special Commissioners' decision, that only counted as one day's residence in the UK. So they could work 50 three-day weeks a year and only be regarded as having spent 50 days here.

" Now the number of nights spent here will be counted, so they will be deemed to have spent 100 days in the UK...etc, etc.

Looks like a bit of a change to me.

spud
16th Nov 2006, 17:02
This will simply chase money out of the UK to be spent elsewhere.

Greedy and self defeating bit of goalpost shuffling.

TopBunk
16th Nov 2006, 17:07
Being a UK tax payer (albeit mightily peed off by G Brown et al), I have to say that tha US tax regime has some benefits; viz. all US citizens are subject to US tax on all income.

I think the same should apply to the UK - it might at least reduce my tax bill!

A lot of people USE the tax rules to escape paying tax ANYWHERE, to me that is at best opportunistic and immoral, if they paid FULL tax somewhere I wouldn't object as much.

Standing by for incoming ....

fantom
16th Nov 2006, 17:10
Being a UK tax payer (albeit mightily peed off by G Brown et al), I have to say that tha US tax regime has some benefits; viz. all US citizens are subject to US tax on all income.

It does, apart from a very few places on the Globe.

Yarpy
16th Nov 2006, 17:38
If you move to another country permanently then you should pay tax in your place of residence. That is what I do. My tax goes towards local hospitals, policing and every other thing that makes up a country.

I can no longer draw any benefit from the UK so why should I pay tax there???

manintheback
16th Nov 2006, 18:40
The Telegraph reported:

"This ruling will affect many so-called 'Monaco millionaires' who fly into London every Monday morning and then go home every Wenesday evening.

"Before the Special Commissioners' decision, that only counted as one day's residence in the UK. So they could work 50 three-day weeks a year and only be regarded as having spent 50 days here.

" Now the number of nights spent here will be counted, so they will be deemed to have spent 100 days in the UK...etc, etc.

Looks like a bit of a change to me.

Theres domicile and theres non-residence for tax purposes. Then theres the average 3 year rule of max 180 days per annum, no more than 90 average blah blah blah.

Theres far more to it than the Telegraph has shown and this relates to a very specific set of circumstances (the mentioned example 'monaco millionaires' working in the UK, resident outside is not related to this case, so they may not have cause for concern - yet) If you are working outside the uk and running your life outside of the uk - very different (unlike the chap whos been clobbered in this case).

helen-damnation
16th Nov 2006, 20:14
[QUOTE=TopBunk;2969761]Being a UK tax payer (albeit mightily peed off by G Brown et al), I have to say that tha US tax regime has some benefits; viz. all US citizens are subject to US tax on all income.

A lot of people USE the tax rules to escape paying tax ANYWHERE, to me that is at best opportunistic and immoral, if they paid FULL tax somewhere I wouldn't object as much.QUOTE]

Topbunk...
So having worked B:mad: dy hard, paid my taxes while resident and now having got off my ar$e to be non-resident and living with the family in a (supposedly) tax free country.....
You want me to pay tax for you and all the 'opportunistic and immoral' damn scroungers who are pouring into the UK :ugh:
Why? What possible justification can you put up for that?
We pay national insurance, just in case we use the NHS during the few weeks we spend in-country.
We pay tax on any income over the personal allowance.
So why the H£LL should I pay any more for services and utilities I don't use:=

By all means, get the Monaco millionaires, but they are not 'all the citizens'.:oh:

212man
17th Nov 2006, 03:52
Looks like they are following on from the cessation of the 1 in 60 rule that they stopped in 1998, following complaints about Rock groups and Airline Pilots and the like. Typicaly it's the high profile rich people who are mentioned as justification and therefore who get little public symapthy. The thousands of other hard working expats, just trying to better themselves and provide for their families get caught too.

mccdatabase
22nd Nov 2006, 10:39
If only Britain would change the tax system to give successful, hard working people a break then maybe these people could be accepted back into the u.k rather than forced to live in 'tax exile'
Wouldn`t work old chap, Generous Gordon needs your hard earned to pay for all the assylum seekers, benefit scroungers, handouts to Africa, MPs pensions, illegal wars etc etc
Its time we got some sanity brought back to government and held these thieving f:mad:s to account for their waste of OUR taxes!!

Arrowhead
22nd Nov 2006, 23:31
I have to say I have no sympathy. Indeed it is amazing that the Revenue have been so slow to close this one.

Or maybe I am just bitter because my tax haven is too far away to commute back to Blighty....