PDA

View Full Version : U2 Greenday Video - B2/harrier(av8b)&apache

donald stott
15th Nov 2006, 20:03
[http://www.spin.com/features/everybodystalkingabout/2006/11/061106_u2greenday/[/EMAIL]
Anyone seen the 'controversial' U2 Greenday music video? Thought it was reasonably well done.:} :oh:
Hopefully the link above should work!!!

Tourist
15th Nov 2006, 20:13
Quite clever.

Now that would be a great concert, Green Day and U2.

higthepig
15th Nov 2006, 20:38
It's well done and worth watching, but did you not think, you should have explained who Greenday and U2 are to the harrumphing senior PPrune members and warned them off, or at least asked them to turn the sound down before watching.

donald stott
15th Nov 2006, 20:53
HTB,

My apologies - some may not believe their eyes and will be at Boots/Dullard and Aitchison/Medcen to get their eyes tested in the morning!

DS

ProfessionalStudent
15th Nov 2006, 22:41
A good tune and an OK vid, but I just CANNOT stand pop stars with a political do-gooding agenda (especially the oh-so-up-their-own-arses U2).

But that's just my point of view.

anotherthing
16th Nov 2006, 07:53
Professional Student:

You did say it was your own opinion, but is Bono any more up his own backside than any other person who campaigns for the under privileged etc?

He and others like him may come across as being up themselves because they get (either rightly or wrongly) lots of press coverage from the media when they speak.

Compare him and his likes to Mrs Miggins down the road who holds/attends event to 'raise awareness' - is Mrs Miggins any less up her own backside? Just because Mrs Miggins does not get the press coverage, is she in it any less for the recognition?

I would argue that Bono is less up his backside than Mrs Miggins. Why? Mrs Miggins is a nobody (apart from to Mr Miggins and her cat); however Mrs Miggins feels that she can look good or be 'socially more aware' than her neighbours if she raises £3.72 in a sale of her cakes. At least when the likes of Bono speaks, due to their popularity, people listen. Quite often it's the people that can make a difference that listen, i.e. the politicians.

The people who I think are up their own backsides are not the Bonos and Mrs Miggins of this world but the politicians and religious leaders who prance around talking the talk but in fact do next to bugger all. Politics and religion, a complete shambles.

Just my point of view!

(ps... Mrs Miggins, if you are reading this, no offence intended)

ProfessionalStudent
16th Nov 2006, 08:14
Fairy snuff...

I just get miffed when EVERYTHING coming out of these popstars' mouths has a political agenda. I thought they were supposed to be smashing up hotels and driving Rollers into swimming pools...

Mrs Miggins doesn't have a swimming pool (3rd quarter profits at the Pie Shop are down and the proposed float on the markets to raise funds has been postponed), let alone a Roller.

anotherthing
16th Nov 2006, 08:38
Professional Student.....

You are so wrong, Mr Miggins does have a roller, a wooden one.

Does pastry lovely, it does :p

GPMG
16th Nov 2006, 09:38
I think there is room in the rock world for both the Bono's/Geldoff's and the Keith Moon/Richards.

I know whose music I prefer from that list as well.

Maybe it's a career choice for a musician that realises that they will never improve on their earlier material.

a) Go out in a blaze of drugs/suicide (Hendrix, Cobain, Joplin, Morrison, Barret)
b) Get religon (Cat Stevens)
c) Get Political and try to do some good (Geldoff, Bono)
d) Go on and on and on till you smell of embalming fluid (Stones)

That being said, I think it is a pretty good song, best to come out of either Greenday or U2 for a while.
Although the video does smack of typical university style dreaming....what if there was a war and nobody tured up.

On the other hand you can't argue with it really, it's the old 'if half of the money spent on defence (oxymoron) was spent on helping people, this world would be almost sorted'.

I love you all, have a flower.

mbga9pgf
16th Nov 2006, 09:42
Professional Student:

You did say it was your own opinion, but is Bono any more up his own backside than any other person who campaigns for the under privileged etc?

He and others like him may come across as being up themselves because they get (either rightly or wrongly) lots of press coverage from the media when they speak.

Compare him and his likes to Mrs Miggins down the road who holds/attends event to 'raise awareness' - is Mrs Miggins any less up her own backside? Just because Mrs Miggins does not get the press coverage, is she in it any less for the recognition?

I would argue that Bono is less up his backside than Mrs Miggins. Why? Mrs Miggins is a nobody (apart from to Mr Miggins and her cat); however Mrs Miggins feels that she can look good or be 'socially more aware' than her neighbours if she raises £3.72 in a sale of her cakes. At least when the likes of Bono speaks, due to their popularity, people listen. Quite often it's the people that can make a difference that listen, i.e. the politicians.

The people who I think are up their own backsides are not the Bonos and Mrs Miggins of this world but the politicians and religious leaders who prance around talking the talk but in fact do next to bugger all. Politics and religion, a complete shambles.

Just my point of view!

(ps... Mrs Miggins, if you are reading this, no offence intended)

If they were really serious, surely they would donate 90% of their vast fortune accrued, similar to what Mr Bill Gates has done?

Its very easy to use fame to support a charity, I would suggest they put their money were their mouth is.
Bill donating a few bob. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3913581.stm)

Langball
16th Nov 2006, 09:58
well said mbga9pgf.

As Graham Norton said about Bono recently 'if we wants to save the world then maybe he should pay his taxes and contribute to a hospital in his own back yard, or maybe tarmacadam some road' (words to that effect)

He is a tax exile, nothing illegal in that, but I resent having to listen to him preaching from his pulpit.

Bono is becoming a bit of a joke here in Ireland. He has just won a case in the High Court (appealed from the Circuit Court) where he had to get the full force of the law to recover A PAIR OF JEANS AND A STETSON HAT from an ex-employee. Nice to know where his priorities are.

Polikarpov
16th Nov 2006, 10:07
It's an interesting video, but I am automatically mistrustful of those who wear sunglasses indoors (unless there's some medical justification?).

JimmyTAP
16th Nov 2006, 10:20
That being said, I think it is a pretty good song, best to come out of either Greenday or U2 for a while.
Small spot of pedantry coming up:_
The song is actually a Skids song from the LP "Scared to Dance" released 1978 or 1979.
JT

Box Blur
16th Nov 2006, 11:06
And it was done for real, a long time ago – RAF Bomber Command Lancasters, Holland 1945, Operation Manna... not exactly B-2s, but they must have been a wonderful sight to the starving Dutch.:ok:

Ali Barber
16th Nov 2006, 12:53
U2 & Green Day played at the reopening of the Superdome in New Orleans, before the first home game for the Saints in the NFL after Katrina. The money raised is supposed to go towards Edge's charity "Music Rising", which aims to restore instruments to musicians who lost theirs during Katrina. As we all watched the video on YouTube for free, I think its us that are the hypocrites.

PompeySailor
16th Nov 2006, 13:02
My 16 year old son reliably informs me that Green Day have just suffered a massive credibility dump by recording with Bono/U2 (he plays in a couple of bands in the Green Day vein, and has his finger on the pulse far more than I do!). Had this been Green Day on their own, he and his mates would have been more impressed. Bono does not impress them any more than Geldof does - they are seen as activists from another age that do not have relevance to their lives - the likes of Bono and Geldof are definite turn-offs when it comes to this sort of thing. The video looks too false as well, too manufactured, and they get the impression that the bands are trying to imply that there was a military "invasion" of the area, rather than the National Guard and US military trying to make things work in spite of the governmental apathy. He thinks it will appeal to the hand-wringers of our age, but as far he is concerned it's a Green Day sellout and they are revamping their setlists to reduce the Green Day covers (as are other bands that he knows).

GPMG
16th Nov 2006, 13:17
Yes Jimmy but it is still the best thing to come out of Greenday or U2 for a while, be it a cover or not.

Pompey, I would disagree with your son there. Greenday lost all credibility when the released American Idiot. They sold out and lost the plot, a (now) 34 year old trying to sing teenage punk angst is pathetic.

They should have called it a day after Dookie.

Shame really as I had 'Good Riddance' as one of the songs at our wedding in Aus. Love the old Greenday, can't stand the new crap, they have gone the way of Offspring.

I thought that the video was more about the question of, 'what if the US govt had put as much effort into helping New Orleans as it does invading Iraq?'

Tourist
16th Nov 2006, 17:20
GPMG.

So So wrong.
Loved the old stuff, and love the new more.

American Idiot is the finest album of the new millenium in my opinion, and as a live show are about the only band (appart from Rammstein) to make the Foos look a bit weak.

PompeySailor
16th Nov 2006, 18:50
GPMG.

So So wrong.
Loved the old stuff, and love the new more.

American Idiot is the finest album of the new millenium in my opinion, and as a live show are about the only band (appart from Rammstein) to make the Foos look a bit weak.

My eldest thought that American Idiot was Green Day going "rock opera", but after a while decided that there was some good stuff on there, but also the first inclinations of a new direction that he didn't really like (see Blink 182 and Tom DeLonge's delusions of adequacy). They have the problem of Good Charlotte - how do you sing about being disadvantaged and separated from the lifestyles of the rich and the famous when you become one of the them? Your conviction, and the conviction you display to your following, becomes diluted, and your fans move on to the next band in the line.

Saw the Foos in Hyde Park along with Angels and Arseholes, sorry Airwaves (crap on a stick, seriously), Juliette Lewis who wouldn't have made it into a pub band if she wasn't an actress, and the mighty Motorhead. Seeing them again next week, and taking their new fan club with me! Strange that I first saw them in 1979, and that Lemmy is now over 60 years old - Axl Rose could take some lessons from him in how to treat his fans and not go all "pussy" on the last night of a UK tour. Lemmy went off stage in Germany because he had managed to contract blood poisoning, Axl failed to complete the last night at Wembley because he was out partying the night before, plus probably OD'd on the all the oxygen breaks he had to keep taking.

movadinkampa747
16th Nov 2006, 19:04
GPMG.
(appart from Rammstein) to make the Foos look a bit weak.

Not so sure about their style even though Rammstein is often seen by many in the music industry as an industrial rock or "neue deutsche härte" band in their native Germany.
I think its music spans a variety of related styles, including heavy metal and German hard rock . They are strongly influenced by a Slovenian neo-classical group Laibach, and their other influences include DAF, not the trucks, and the lesser known Ministry.
But and this is a big but, due to the contrast between individual songs such as Bestrafe mich andBestrafe mich, plus Ohne dich and not forgetingTe Quiero Puta! makes the band Ramstein in my opinion difficult to classify.

Mzee
16th Nov 2006, 19:31
Not bad music, but I like the tricky bits - AV8's with underslung loads!! Hmmm interesting!:ok:

movadinkampa747
16th Nov 2006, 20:43
don't forget Paulo Ntini's debut album.:D
Ah yes. These Streets.
I personally think that this late teens Scottish singer sounds alot older than his years on his debut album. I dont think it's just his careworn voice but more to do with the maturity of the lyrics, Also helping is the casual and smooth sound of his voice.
You see it's rather like the soul singers of previous generations, that Ntini manages to sing without a hint of hypocrisy about his own sexual exploits while also questioning his girlfriend's fidelity. It's the fact that he's a little bit naive but at the same time so frank, that he manages to get away with it.
Even though the stripped-down tunes on "These Streets" don't always grab the listener, the tracks where he is helped by a full band manage to cunjure up thoughts of a sunny-day American soul. As an example listen to"New Shoes".