PDA

View Full Version : Those were the days!

228 OCU
15th Nov 2006, 17:11
This photo was given to me many years ago by one of the chaps involved. It is what is on the back which makes it so unusual as there were only 4 of these produced, and how many of the others now survive?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a289/Helmetfire/BlueSection_0.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a289/Helmetfire/BlueSection_2.jpg

And this is what it says...Enjoy

WAR RECORD OF “BLUE” SECTION

These four pilots cost £10,000 each to train. During that time they wrote off or otherwise damaged £160,000 worth of aeroplane. On operations they wrote off completely 3 Spitfire V’s between them at a total cost of £300,000. Their pay amounted to about another £22,000 during their service. They burned up about £25,000 worth of hi-grade petrol, and fired off at least £30,000 worth of expensive ammunition. They gave their C.O. and their Flight leader a nervous breakdown necessitating expensive medical treatment. Two of them were sent to an equally expensive Air-Crew Punishment Camp which had to be maintained at great expense for the likes of them. They stole at LEAST £10,000 worth of gear from the Royal Air Force during the five or six years that it managed to tolerate them. Between them they were solely responsible for no less than SEVEN illegitimate births, the cost of which devolved on the State which employed them. Between them they caused the break-up of three marriages, resulting in expensive divorce cases. Between them they contracted two cases of venereal disease necessitating expensive and time-wasting medical treatment. One of them wounded one of the others in an air-to air firing exercise. Two baled out over England, losing their aircraft which caused considerable damage when crashing, and both stole their parachutes on landing. One caused the Portsmouth gun barrage to fire off a great deal of expensive ammunition at him by getting lost and straying over the D-Day fleet. One shot up an RAF Rescue Boat under the impression that it was an E-Boat. One shot a hangar at Tangmere full of holes and turned a Flight-Sargeant Fitter’s hair white, by fiddling with his gun button which SHOULD have been set to SAFE. Each of these four required the services of 32 skilled men to keep them in the air, and these 128 men had to be paid, clothed and fed.

“Ah,” but you say. “But what did these heroes accomplish against the hordes of Nazi Germany when, smiling and gay they fearlessly (???) flew against the Hun”.

They shot down, or up, as the case may be, one F.W. 190, 3 gasometers (French), about 60 trains (all French), one church, about 200 lorries, one American Destroyer, at least one American Tank, a field latrine of doubtful nationality, and were only prevented from “having a bash” at the Eiffel Tower by the fear that their aircraft letters would be seen and reported.

In view of this enviable record therefore, we have no hesitation in laying the claim that these four pilots did the greatest service to the Third Reich and should have been awarded the Iron Cross First Class by a grateful Fuhrer and Fatherland.
Signed Adolf Hitler

Sloppy Link
15th Nov 2006, 18:46
Very good but I can not get the links to work, am I just not up to this sort of thing?

SamCaine
15th Nov 2006, 18:54
I can not get the links to work, am I just not up to this sort of thing?
Me either :bored:

228 OCU
15th Nov 2006, 19:00
Sorry chaps, finger trouble.
Try now.

Skeleton
15th Nov 2006, 19:04
Works fine now :)

StbdD
15th Nov 2006, 19:59
ah.. negative links here as well.

228 OCU
15th Nov 2006, 20:06
Links seem to work for some but not others, ummm?

hobie
15th Nov 2006, 20:08
negative links here as well.

same for me too .... :confused:

Tourist
15th Nov 2006, 20:16
Nor me

228 OCU
15th Nov 2006, 20:22
OK, how do I get the photos to show up in this forum.
Yahoo seems SNAFU, so any others I can upload too?

Evileyes
15th Nov 2006, 20:30
Give this a shot 228 OCU:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=203481

Note... Picture size must not exceed 800x600 pixels MAXIMUM, to avoid the PPrune thread viewing window becoming too large.

228 OCU
15th Nov 2006, 20:45
Thanks Evileyes.
I'd forgotten I'd got a Photobucket account. I was 50 yesterday so I'm putting it down to that and too much positive g in the past :)

kevmusic
16th Nov 2006, 14:55
What an interesting document! It certainly pricks the bubble of hero-worship in which we hold our heroes - what feet of clay some had! I would never normally wish to tarnish the memory of these old warriors, but in the case of Armada's 'B' flight - what a bunch of good-for-nothing miscreants! Quite an eye-opener. :sad:

MightyGem
16th Nov 2006, 15:03
Probably fairly average I should think. Remeber, for every Douglas Bader and Guy Gisbon, there are hundreds of us ordinary mortals.

Fg Off Max Stout
16th Nov 2006, 16:55
I have to say that they sound like the ultimate drinking buddies for a sesh in happy hour followed by a push into town - I bet their bar stories were epic and they'd paint the town red worse than a Flt of DHFS studes on the loose in Shrewsbury. In fact some of their exploits remind me of some RAF personalities of today. If only they had a few more kills, their misdemeanours would be forgotten or laughed off. I particularly liked the bit about the Eiffel tower, and note that the French remain just as popular today. Tres bon.

RabbitLeader
16th Nov 2006, 17:41
Brilliant! :D