View Full Version : Invitation to a talk by John Farley

Flying Lawyer
15th Nov 2006, 16:34
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/FlyingLawyer/RAeSLogo.jpg

Next week - Thursday 23rd November 2006

The V/STOL Wheel of Misfortune

John Farley OBE AFC CEng
Former Chief Test Pilot, BAe Dunsfold

Of the 45 VSTOL aircraft (other than conventional helicopters) that have been built to fly over the last 45 years only three have entered service. John will cover these aircraft and the 15 different engineering solutions used by the various project teams, and offer his comments on several of the aircraft based on his 19+ year association with the Harrier.

Some might think John knows a thing or two about V/STOL -

As RAE project pilot on the P1127 prototype in 1964, he started what was to become 19 years of Harrier programme test flying, moving from the RAE to join Dunsfold from where he retired as Chief Pilot. His Harrier hours include 2 hours gliding in an AV-8B!

As most regulars in this forum will know, John is one of the UK's most distinguished and respected test pilots. He has flown over 80 types (fixed-wing and rotary) and in 1990 was the first Western test pilot to be invited by the Russians to fly the Mig-29.

Royal Aeronautical Society

No 4 Hamilton Place, London W1 http://www.raes.org.uk/raes/images/aircraft_images/hamilton.jpg
(The RAeS is at the bottom of Park Lane, next to the InterContinental Hotel - a few minutes walk from Hyde Park Corner tube station)

Lecture 18:00
(Coffee and bickies from 17:30)

FAQ:

You do not have to be a member of the Society (nor with a member) to attend the lecture.
No registration required - you can just turn up.
There is no admission charge.
Tudor Owen

treadigraph
15th Nov 2006, 16:57
Hoping to be there: and a quiet drink after anyone?

Saab Dastard
15th Nov 2006, 17:33
Treaders, if I can arrange to be in London that day I'm up for it - and a quiet drink thereafter!

SD

fantom
15th Nov 2006, 17:33
Dammit, I shall be in the dark depths of the sim.
I humbly request a re-appearance.

chevvron
15th Nov 2006, 18:14
Wish I could get there as I have great regard for John having spoken to him many times on radar and also met him personally.
Wonder if he'll recount the story of the USMC Harrier I was told by a Boscombe TP. Apparently the USMC were having this problem with a Harrier on board one of their carriers; it kept doing uncontollable rolls always in the same direction after a VTO, breaking several wingtip outriggers, so John went out to investigate. The story goes that he did a VTO, and put it down again quickly. On climbing out, he asked the groundcrew if they were aware that there was no fuel in one wing, with full fuel in the other!

Navaleye
15th Nov 2006, 21:31
Not far from me, I shall be there, looking forward to hearing JF speak in the flesh.

Nige321
15th Nov 2006, 21:53
I would love to be there...

Perhaps a few Pruners could twist his arm - gently - and find out how the memoirs are going...

N:ok:

ICT_SLB
16th Nov 2006, 04:01
Is there any chance of a DVD of Mr. Farley's lecture for those of us marooned on the wrong side of the pond? (Great source for current & future Brunel students, G). Proceeds to the charity of his choice of course. Failing that a copy of his lecture would be most welcome.

Ops and Mops
16th Nov 2006, 13:17
Gutted I cannot make it! Almost considering a sickie! :E

Likewise, a copy of the lecture with a donation from me to charity of JF's choice would be outstanding.

:ok:

Gregg
16th Nov 2006, 15:39
If you can't make the lecture but are still interested, the VSTOL Wheel is presented on the VSTOL website:

http://www.vstol.org/

Jinkster
16th Nov 2006, 22:34
JF - really nice chap i guarantee :ok:

phil gollin
17th Nov 2006, 08:28
Whatever stopped the Fairey Rotordyne (or equivalent) from being used by the armed forces ?

TheOddOne
17th Nov 2006, 16:17
Whatever stopped the Fairey Rotordyne (or equivalent) from being used by the armed forces ?

How about the truly deafening racket that it made? I'm sure the enemy would have heard it coming from miles away!

TOO

tornadoken
21st Nov 2006, 21:16
Rotodyne was examined in 1957/58 to support 38Gp./Rapid Deployment Force. So was DHC-4 Caribou. RAF went with Scottish(Twin/) Pioneer and Wessex HC2. I watched a Ceylon AF Pioneer on acceptance test at Prestwick, Sept.,1958 at 0 kt, then land in its own length - headwind >stalling speed.

treadigraph
23rd Nov 2006, 12:21
Just bringing this up to the top - PPPop, you going?

I will be there...

18greens
24th Nov 2006, 06:17
John gave a great lecture, very interesting, pragmatic and entertaining. Also the RAes is a fantastic venue.

I was intrigued to know why you thought it was right for TSR2 to be cancelled. (From the sharp intake of breath around the room I think a few other people would be interested too)

Looking forward to the Bucanneer lecture next year.

treadigraph
24th Nov 2006, 07:03
A most enjoyable presentation. Although I was familiar with most (but certainly not all!) of the aircraft covered, I knew very little about any of them - with the exception of the Harrier of course!

Also a great demonstration of how to use PowerPoint - not a bullet point in sight!

Many thanks John!

PS, I'd be interested to know your views on TSR2 as well!

Flying Lawyer
24th Nov 2006, 19:26
Pleased, but not in the least surprised, it was such a success.

Having posted details, and looking forward very much to listening to John, I was reminded (just in time) that I was giving a lecture at a Crew Management Conference in Brussels!

Could have been rather embarrassing. :eek: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/FlyingLawyer/redface.gif
I'm sure any pilot would have understood, but I'm not sure the organisers would have seen it that way.

I look forward to hearing John next time.

Tudor

Genghis the Engineer
24th Nov 2006, 20:39
Is there any chance of a DVD of Mr. Farley's lecture for those of us marooned on the wrong side of the pond? (Great source for current & future Brunel students, G). Proceeds to the charity of his choice of course. Failing that a copy of his lecture would be most welcome.

JF freely and unostentatiously does more than anybody else I know for British aeronautical education - he sits on Brunel's advisory panel (and presumably other universities), the steering and ops&sim committees of the association of aerospace universities, organises an annual event promoting aerospace careers amongst school children, judges an annual inter-university flight simulation competition - as well as allowing aeronautical beginners like me to engage with him in some thoroughly enjoyable technical arguments at some of the meetings where we both find ourselves (which I invariably lose). And that's just what I happen to know about.

He gives damned interesting lectures too, although sadly I missed this one.

G

treadigraph
24th Nov 2006, 22:08
Shame you guys weren't there as I would have looked very forward to a drink and an aeronautical joust with you both...

Buccaneers are the next subject in mid-Feb courtesy of someone very well known but whose name escapes me right now... sorry one beer too many!

John Farley
24th Nov 2006, 22:24
I have mentioned my TSR2 views before and I know I offend many ......

Critics are seldom popular, but as a one time professional critic of military aircraft I have to say that an aerodynamic design optimised around a specification that gives priority to payload, range and a high cruise speed at low level will always have a tiny wing in order to minimise drag and improve cruise fuel consumption.

Sadly a tiny wing unavoidably leads to real problems with respect to takeoff and landing distances as well as providing an inferior medium speed manoeuvring capability.

Now the Vulcan.....

By the way it WAS Belfast not Bedford where that SC1 accident pic was taken...sorry to whoever pointed that out. He was correct and I should not have doubted him.

treadigraph
24th Nov 2006, 22:32
Blimey! I looked that SC1 pic (as did a friend who hales from the Sydenham area) and thought "there is no way that's Belfast"... Well, there it is...

Saab Dastard
24th Nov 2006, 22:49
Sorry to have missed the lecture - work is such a pain when it gets in the way of the really important things! ;)

Hope to see you at the next one, Tredders, if not before.

SD

Flying Lawyer
24th Nov 2006, 22:51
treadigraph someone very well known but whose name escapes me

'The Buccaneer'Graham Pitchfork MBE BA FRAeSThursday 22 February 2007

Same time
Same place
Same invitation
Retired in 1995 as an Air Commodore.

RAF for 36 years - including navigator, CO of a Buccaneer squadron, AOC and Commandant of Officers and Aircrew Selection Centre, Biggin Hill
and finally Director of Military Intelligence at the MoD.

Well-known aviation historian, author of several books - mainly WW2,

but including ....................... http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/1852606118.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V63349073_.jpg

He also writes senior and/or distinguished RAF officers’ obituaries for the Telegraph.
He once told me he often gets suspicious looks when he bumps into former colleagues and asks a perfectly normal question like ‘How are you? ;)

Tudor

ICT_SLB
25th Nov 2006, 00:05
Also a great demonstration of how to use PowerPoint - not a bullet point in sight!

Does that mean there's a possibility of a copy of Mr. Farley's file?

Missing the next lecture in the series will make our Chief FTE pig sick - he's an ex-Buccaneer maintainer.

John Farley
25th Nov 2006, 10:46
The problem I have is that the complete file (with videos - arguably the bits that matter) is 462MB. So the only solution is a CD and the post. Which means a PM with your address.

JF

Flying Lawyer
25th Nov 2006, 11:50
In the meantime, I highly recommend -

The Harrier Development Story (http://www.harrier.org.uk/history/history_farley.htm)

(A lecture John gave to the Munich Branch of the RAeS in May 2000.)

FL

paulc
27th Nov 2006, 06:44
Have seem Graham Pitchfork's lecture on the Bucc - excellent and well worth the time.

He also gave a local group another lecture last week on 'men behind the medals' - absolutely stunning - well thought out, well researched and superbly presented. The stories of how some of the non commissioned aircrew won medals is fascinating but with a hind of sadness knowing that so many did not survive.