PDA

View Full Version : All comes to an end...?

boogie-nicey
15th Nov 2006, 11:13
What would happen if you end up getting an inadvertent 'stamp' in your passport? Well that's more of a title rather than a question.....

Let me attempt to explain. Over the last few months I have begun to think ahead about my post JAA fATPL training. I would like to undertake training for a type rating at Randhem which is conducted in Miami. However if I go to the US and get turned away by some ignorant or hysterical immigration supervisor what implications would that have on my passport in terms of potential career progression? I am somewhat overly concerned because I am brown skinned and though I've never had to consider this particular aspect of my identity before in my life this is the occassion where I feel it might work against me. If it's only impact is cause me travel inconvienence and jet lag then fine but if it has further ramifications then I'd much rather not risk it and just stick to the relatively safer but far more costly TRTOs in the UK.

I have a clean record in every case and education/career histories that are without incident. However I'm not a gambler and would appreciate any input from fellow ppruners regarding this issue. Do you know someone in a similiar situation and/or experience?

I've been to the US pre-9/11 about 17 times , never a problem but these days the socio-political climates have changed and potentially kill off my career in one fail swoop.

Anyway take care folks......

aircockroaches
15th Nov 2006, 11:26
What a world we live in....:=

Superpilot
15th Nov 2006, 11:56
Boogie,

No doubt you thought hard about posting this one. Good on you. It's a tough one. Think about it wisely. The intelligence level of 10 immigration and passport control officials at any US airport is less than that of 1 FBI individual. Lotfi Raissi (http://www.guardian.co.uk/ukresponse/story/0,,650439,00.html) was robbed of his dreams and aspirations because of the magnificent assumptions and lies of the FBI.

Having said that, keep your cool, answer their questions as clearly and concisely, do not get angry when they become rude or racist and just hope they understand that flying is a career just like any other. Another tip: Do not tavel with an American Airline (cos you might not even make it there! ;) )

Lucifer
15th Nov 2006, 12:43
Chill. I know many Indian and Middle Eastern people who are normal businessmen and have no trouble entering the US for legitimate business purposes. They will ask what you are doing in the US, and if you have all necessary information and documentation, along with hotels bookings and a return flight, you have nothing to fear.

Friend of mine had the same concern into LA, which was completely unfounded in the end. If you work yourself into a panic about it, you'll look strange and get turned away for your behaviour. As you will require a visa from the US embassy prior to travel anyway, you should be pre-cleared to some extent anyway (in the eyes of the immigration official).

boogie-nicey
15th Nov 2006, 13:04
Thanks folks, I'm a happy go lucky person anyway just like the picture in the margin. Guess I'll just cross all the T's and dot the I's.

It's somewhat sad because I'm actually one of the biggest fans of the US, even in the current climate. Maybe I'll just tell them that too :)

Mercenary Pilot
15th Nov 2006, 13:05
As you will require a visa from the US embassy prior to travel anyway, you should be pre-cleared to some extent anyway (in the eyes of the immigration official).Please...Not this Again! :{:mad::confused::suspect::ouch::sad::E
:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

;)

boogie-nicey
15th Nov 2006, 13:33
The visa issue arghhhh, I'm sure to get myself in a right pickle over that too... is there no end to the madness :)

boogie-nicey
15th Nov 2006, 14:49
I understand your sentiments Michael. However we have to also look at the practicalities of training and indeed cost which is in itself pivotal in some cases. It could be argued that the European and in particular the UK TRTOs are more disprectful simply because they use the same training methods and simulators yet charge many times more that their US counterparts. So it's a bit of a close call and besides I have many fond memories of numerous "good" Americans helping me during my training and befriending many of them too :)

The Immigration department in any country is unco-operative and unwelcoming but a necessary hurdle. I'm just trying to get as much background info to ensure that they see me for who I am a "one of the good guys".

Anywhooo, take care.

dartagnan
15th Nov 2006, 15:16
Please...Not this Again! :{:mad::confused::suspect::ouch::sad::E
:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

;)

not again!!!!!!!please, nooooo!!!!!;)

scroggs
15th Nov 2006, 16:25
owever if I go to the US and get turned away by some ignorant or hysterical immigration supervisor Why should that happen? Have you evidence that it does with any regularity? As long as your paperwork is in order, and your visit to the US is for legitimate purposes, there is absolutely no reason whay you shouldn't be one of the tens of thousands of non-WASPs who successfully and legitimately enter the USA every single day. And, remember, the immigration officials you meet in Miami are themselves likely to be from a non-Anglo immigrant background, though a different ethnicity from yours.

I think you are envisioning problems where none exist.

Scroggs

boogie-nicey
15th Nov 2006, 16:36
The ever guiding and stablising hand of SCROGGS. Cool! Common sense and logic engaged and to the US I go :) In fact I must admit that I have always been received fairly by the US immigration authorities in the past.

In fact I started my first flying training in the Miami area all those many moons ago, ironic I return there again after so long.

v6g
15th Nov 2006, 21:05
Remember also, that the I-94 (the so called 'Visa Waiver') - the green card (green with a small 'g') that they staple in your passport when you arrive and allows you to stay for 90 days (note 90 days - NOT 3 months), it's imperative that you comply with the terms of it. If you violate the terms once then you'll never get another for the rest of your life.

A friend of mine planned his trip so he'd leave the US on the last of his 90 days - the plane went tech and the flight was postponed to the next day, 91 days after his stay commenced - and not his fault. Because of that he was never allowed entry into the US again (and he didn't find out until he returned a few years later - they have a special room in US airports for people like him). So in his example, even though he was planning to do everything legally, the unforseen circumstance of the plane going tech didn't have any weight against the immigration system.

I live in Canada and so frequenlty take trips to the States on an I-94, I always make sure I return the I-94 back to the border post before it expires (usually in my lunch-break on the date of expiry).

While I echo Scroggs message of you should have no worries, just bear in mind that Immigration officials don't care about you, or your life, or your money, your story, your career or your future - all they care about is that "the law is implemented".

boogie-nicey
17th Nov 2006, 09:06
BTW thanks for the emails that help give some advice regarding the matter and detailing people's personal experiences. Seems like it is more 'practical' and 'possible' than I thought.

Though I must admit I won't become to complacent or blaise at it all and will focus my attention on getting all the paperwork done correctly first time.

:D