PDA

View Full Version : Wichita, KS

Dont worry
15th Nov 2006, 10:43
Hi, guys !
Will be in Wichita in the next few weeks. Anybody have some info what to do and where to go for the daily beer ?

BizJetJock
15th Nov 2006, 12:11
Ahh, good old MidContinent! It has the distiction in my mind of being the only place in the world where as I checked in to the hotel the girl apologised because the city is so boring.....:{

HS125
15th Nov 2006, 12:47
I'd stay at the Hilton as its in spitting distance of Flight saftey (I assume that's why you're going) They have an 'Aviator's Club' Lounge to which you should get free access, The lady that runs it will recommend an excellent steakhouse which is south of West Kellogg Avenue. There old town is quite good too and theres a few nice bars & restaurants round there.

For your sanity I think a rental car is pretty much obligatory. Sorry I havnt been more specific but it's been about 3 years since I was last there.

I hope this helps.

Hs125

180 Too Fower
15th Nov 2006, 14:38
Agree with HS125, Hilton (Garden Inn) is a great hotel, clean & friendly and nice size rooms. There are plenty of good restaurants and bars behind the hotel walking distance, "Ya Yas" or something like that is cool bar and eatery. I loved it there. Best get a hire car though, and if it's FSI your going to it's no more than 10 minutes drive from the hotel.

Not sure what the weather is like there this time of year but it is Tornado alley and I saw some great Thunderstorms:ooh:

Enjoy it.

PURPLE PITOT
15th Nov 2006, 18:11
Aviators club is at the airport hilton. Good location for FS, but a hire car definately recommended. Wanda is the lady who runs the aviators club, and the scotch and sirloin do a fantastic prime rib.

enjoy

PP

AcroChik
16th Nov 2006, 00:32
The lady that runs it will recommend an excellent steakhouse which is south of West Kellogg Avenue.

Been there!

Ryan's Family Steak House
6633 W Kellogg Dr, Wichita, KS
(316) 946-5533

Very pleasant people. Decent food, fairly priced. Like most of mid-America, light on the vegetables, but hey, you're in Kansas, eat beef!

Like a lot of things in Wichita, the cuisine's pretty limited. Stay firmly in the middle of the road. Avoid anything that smacks of Asia or Europe. It's definitly faux.

There's not a lot to do in Wichita, so just hunker down, study and then have another beer. Also, as has been suggested, DO get the rental car.

If you're doing the picking, Hilton's a good bet.

Mike Echo
16th Nov 2006, 08:25
If you get bored - and you will be!!, it's well worth visiting The Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center up in Hutchinson. I seem to remember it was about an hours drive. As everybody says, rent a car. There is also a small but interesting Museum in Old Town which I enjoyed but that was on my fifth visit and I was getting desperate.
Like Purple Pilot the Scotch and Sirloin is a must do for the steaks.
Hilton's OK and you can usually find somebody to talk to.
Good luck
M.E.

Dont worry
16th Nov 2006, 12:14
Hi, guys !
Thanx for the replies so far. Will try to get my picture from Wichita. You helped me a lot.

HermanTheGerman
16th Nov 2006, 14:39
Airport Hilton, nice hotel with:
Aviators Lounge, walking distance from FSI and in the middle of the airport: so through any window you will see at least one runway :D

I visited the studio of Paul Bowen, famous air-to-air photographer. nice guy, signed a few of his books for me. FSI will assist to arrange a date.

Amarillo Grill: nice steaks, grilled on open grill with special wood from mexixo (?)

Scotch and Sirloin: nice steaks and even nicer girls who serve them!:D

Hometown buffet for lunch (all you can eat)

Rental car recommended

XXTSGR
16th Nov 2006, 14:41
There are two FlightSafety centres in Wichita - Cessna and Raytheon, at opposite ends of the town.

If you're going for a Cessna course I can't help you much.

If Raytheon:-

http://www.theinnattallgrass.com/ is excellent. Free drinks each evening for an hour. It's also only a few yards from "Timberline" http://www.timberlinesteakhouse.com/ - best steaks I've had in a long time. Check out Jimmy's Diner for breakfasts. Hooters only a few steps away, large shopping mall likewise distance. Walmart about a mile.

I disagree with Herman about a rental car - it's not recommended, it's ESSENTIAL! :)

HermanTheGerman
16th Nov 2006, 15:25
...is close to the Cessna facility, Bombardier on the other side of the airport. sorry I forgot! :=

BillieBob
16th Nov 2006, 21:21
There are two FlightSafety centres in WichitaActually, there are three, don't forget Lear - small but beautifully formed!