PDA

View Full Version : Can Only Download PPRUNE!

Hobo
15th Nov 2006, 05:50
Now here's a thing..... switched on my computer about an hour ago, The only sites I can access are Pprune ( which works completely normally), and Google which works OK until I try to click on a link, when nothing happens. Hotmail/Ebay/BBC/My Bank/British Airways....all won't load up.

I downloaded Adobe Acrobat 7 yesterday morning, but my computer was working OK last night!

Any Ideas?

oldbeefer
15th Nov 2006, 07:46
I can't help, but I've had a lot of support from here: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/

airborne_artist
15th Nov 2006, 09:27
Which browser are you using? Have you checked the security settings in Tools, Options?

Which OS - have you checked internet security settings?

Hobo
16th Jan 2007, 10:29
Thanks for you help. I checked all these things and it resolved itself with no action back in November. Just switched on and the same thing has happened. PPrune and Google work perfectly OK but no oher websites will load......

BOAC
16th Jan 2007, 10:47
Usual suspects - firewall, cookie handling and security settings as above. Maybe Acrobat has changed something for you?

Any ideas of the answers for a_a?

vapilot2004
16th Jan 2007, 11:38
Perhaps Proone is locally cached and some of the other sites are not - which would reveal a lack of an internet connection.

Try this:

Click Start > Run and type CMD and hit Enter key

type ping www.yourfavouritewebsite.com that does not load and see if there are replies. No replies = a dodgy internet connection.

Good Luck!

renfrew
22nd Jan 2007, 15:23
Hobo-did you resolve problem?
I am still out of action and getting desperate.
An engineer cannot find anything wrong.
Thanks,
Ken.

James 1077
22nd Jan 2007, 15:48
If an engineer can't work out what the issue was (and I see from a different thread that he had no issues with his computer on your connection - which means it is likely to be your computer that is the problem) then I would advise you to take a backup of all of your documents etc onto CD/DVD/different hard drive partition, then reformat your hard drive and reinstall from scratch.

You need to make sure you have copies of (or can download) all of the programs that you frequently use so that you can reinstall these and obviously you need to have a copy of whichever OS you normally use.

To be honest when I used to use M$ at home I would do a full reformat and reinstall once a year as it seems to be the only way to keep things running at a decent speed and stable in the long term.

renfrew
22nd Jan 2007, 15:59
Thanks James, but yes, my engineer did reinstall and it didn't make any difference.
It seems to leave it either as a hardware problem or something obscure at the Isp end.
Any suggestions very welcome.
Ken.

DaveO'Leary
22nd Jan 2007, 19:20
Hobo
Do you recieve e-mail, as normal? Are you having probs gaining access to the sites using your 'favourites' or are you entering the URL? Does this happen when your surfing and you 'click' on a link? More info dear boy.

What are your cookie settings? START>right click mns exp>left click 'internet prop'>left click 'privacy' what is your cookie setting?

Dave

renfrew
22nd Jan 2007, 19:47
E-mail through outlook express is normal.
It makes no difference using favourites or full url.I can get into pprune and my bank site for example but not yahoo and the vast majority of other sites.
Ken.

Cookies show medium.

BEagle
22nd Jan 2007, 21:11
Have you tried a system restore to a point when the computer was working OK?

PPRuNe Pop
22nd Jan 2007, 21:22
Just as I was about to say it............................!! :D

Go back a few days.

DaveO'Leary
22nd Jan 2007, 22:20
Hobo
Umm most strange, try this link...... http://ahatmose2002.proboards22.com/index.cgi

Does it work?

renfrew
23rd Jan 2007, 08:06
Hello,
I am still on win98se so cannot system restore but as I say an engineer emptied machine and reinstalled without result.
I cannot get into ahatmose 2002,same as everything else it starts then stalls.
Is it time to buy a new pc?
Thanks,
Ken.

stickyb
23rd Jan 2007, 10:54
have you checked there are no entries in the hosts file?

renfrew
23rd Jan 2007, 14:41
My engineer has now had a call from another orange customer who has exactly the same problem.

FL8
23rd Jan 2007, 16:18
This problem does surface from time to time with various ISPs. Mine occasionally 'loses' the route to swathes of websites. The solution involved changing the settings of the proxy server under Internet Options -Connections - LAN Settings. If there's a tick in Use a Proxy Server, try taking it out.

Although no doubt your engineer liaising with Orange will be able to solve the problem properly!

Jemy
23rd Jan 2007, 21:14
I have encountered the same problem today too. Internet working fine last night, but today I can only view proone and google. Other websites will not work and I can't send or receive email. 3 computers in the home all have the same fault, and I've checked the router settings.
3 calls to Talktalk in Bangalore with 3 different reasons. 1. a firewall problem. 2. a local internet fault at my exchange and 3.they are uprating my internet speed and this has caused the trouble.
Gonna sleep on it and see what happens tomorrow, but you are not alone renfrew.

P.s I see you too are in Glasgow, so it may be a local fault. I'm in G41

renfrew
24th Jan 2007, 07:59
Jemy,
Thanks very much for information.
I simply don't know what to do next,Orange are completely useless.
I am hoping my engineer can persuade them to investigate.
I am on 883 exchange and engineers other customer is in Paisley.
Thanks,
Ken.

Jemy
24th Jan 2007, 08:18
I have spoken to my ISP and they confirm my suspicions that it is not my hardare that is at fault, but the network. I'm going to give it another 24 hours and see what happens. They also say that they are moving me to super dooper fast internet right now so that may be part of the trouble.
Good luck