PDA

View Full Version : Springbok, FGU

papamikedelta
14th Nov 2006, 20:06
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have been training in South Africa for a while and at the end of September went back to Ireland to sit the first 8 JAR ATPL Exams. I recently came back to finish the last module of Flying and studying. As an inexperienced pilot a little out of practice on a VFR nav, I was today overwhelmed by the friendliness and willingness of my future colleagues in the global industry. I went on a nav from FAPA to FAQT. I "temporarilly was unsure of my position" and was quickly identified by FACT East of being in Difficulty! Being slightly out of VHF range my message was relayed by SRINGBOK 6XXX(apologies for not remembering the Callsign). SPRINGBOK 6XXX happened to be overhead FAQT@ FL350. The call I got was, " I am overhead FAQT tracking east and am probably pulling a vapour trail, I will turn North and then east again to give you a bearing to FAQT". Ladies and Gentlemen, I looked up and saw the manouevre. I immediately became aware of my position again. Really I am just posting this to let you all know that I am eternally greatful to those who assisted me today at FL350. I would love to meet you someday to thank you properly. And also to let you all know that I hope you all, through your careers will remember that you, I and thousands of others were that soldier once.

Regards,

FGU:ok:

pilotezulu
15th Nov 2006, 10:12
awesome story PMD... what aircraft were you flying and what type of aircraft was Springbok 6XXX? :P

just curious :8

jetjoke
15th Nov 2006, 10:29
Hi Papamikdelta,

the aircraft most probably was an A319 from SAA on the coastal route Cape Town to Durban as you mentioned the a/c tracking east, postion close to FAQT and callsign beginning with a "6".

Depending on your time of day, it would be easy to find out who the crew were.The callsign of 600/606/612/616/620/626 indicate flights Cape Town to Durbs on the 14Nov.

Call SAA dispatch on 011978 5667 and give them the approx time of day when you saw the contrail, minus about an hour and you have the aircrafts departure time from Cape Town. Dispatch can get you the crews details.If no joy,I will see what I can do

regards
Jetjoke

Avvy
15th Nov 2006, 14:58
The Classic FAPA to FAQT. Think the SAA guys are used to helping the boys along that route, you wouldn’t be the first to get lost that way. Have heard some far more sarcastic directions in the Eastern Cape before (like directions to the Big Blue AKA the ocean), although the guy was lost in the circuit after all :ugh: . Still Good to hear of some help from friends up on the throne.

Beta Light
15th Nov 2006, 15:40
I’ve always maintained that the problems at S.A.A. is not the guys in the seat, have some first class mates there. Aviation in S.A. is relatively small and there is great camaraderie.

It is everything around them that is collapsing 

mach decimal 83
15th Nov 2006, 16:40
If it was a Springbok-callsign, starting with a 6 and followed by three digits, it was the freighter you heard, a/c type is a B732.