PDA

View Full Version : Any Smart ideas would be appreciated

Capn Notarious
14th Nov 2006, 16:20
My dear mother (80) has an ACER laptop, purchased this year.
This is connected to her broadband, with a DLink wireless ADSL router modem. The plug in usb adaptor is not used, lower flag page will say signal strength excellent. One wall in between, router and pooter: range ten metres
On powering up the computer may or may not find
the server.The this page is unavaliable will appear.
or open her home page which is Google.
or the mail which is outlook express.

Sometimes she opens outlook to download messages, with normal function. But if after having composed an email : sending the mail seems to stay in the outbox because the server cannot be found.
In addition the little icon of a radiating antenna will disappear from the lower bar that has start.
But power down then restart and the computer, will send or ask shall it send.
It has had a new hard drive and the same problems existed before.
This has baffled me and others for too long.
I don't really want to lay a piece of Cat five cable as it could cause trip ups.

Kind regards

jetcollie
14th Nov 2006, 18:03
Hi,
It sounds as if the computer is unable to maintain the wireless connection. I came across the following suggestion when a friend had a similar problem - (this will only be possible if you are using windows to configure the wireless settings - that will become obvious at step 4!):

Usually this behavior occurs when your connection is configured to use 802.1x Authentication but your current hardware does not support it. To correct the situation all you need to do is disable this authentication process. To disable it, just follow these steps:

Click Start, select the Control Panel, and double-click the Network Connections icon.
The Network Connections screen will appear. Right-click the Wireless Network Connection and select Properties.
On the Wireless Network Properties page you'll see three tabs. Select the one that says Wireless Networks.
Select your network connection from the list of available networks and press the configure button.
Now click the Authentication tab.
The Authentication screen will open. Remove the check mark in Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network.
Click OK to close the window and then close all other open windows. Reboot your computer.Hope it works for your mum.

planecrazy.eu
14th Nov 2006, 20:09
I had the same problem with my Acer Laptop, the problem was with the Acer Software, "E Net Management", i stopped it starting up with Windows and user the MS tools for wireless internet, had no problems since...

Keef
15th Nov 2006, 01:55
Have you tweaked the MTU? I had terrible problems till a kind PPRuNer years ago suggested a minor adjustment.