PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Nigeria Pay Scales And Info

mike halls
14th Nov 2006, 15:11
Good Afternoon Pilots

I just recieved these details on pay scales for virgin nigeria and other details.

CAPTAIN

Salary
N Nira local currency
£ british pounds

Gross

Productivity Pay

Performance Bonus

Total

FIRST OFFICER

Salary
N
£

Gross

Productivity Pay

Performance Bonus

Total

Contractual Benefits:
- Annual leave entitlement - 20 days per year plus bank holiday days
- Sick pay entitlement 12 days per year
- Pension
- Private medical insurance for yourself and four dependants
- Staff Travel benefits on Virgin Nigeria Airways.

safe flying all

mike

oba_idan_amani
14th Nov 2006, 18:58
Hello Mike,
Is this for the A340 or B737 ? I heard the pilots (B737) are not too happy with the tax they pay on the salary. Also heard problems with the company paying productivity bonus.

Oba Idan Amani

mike halls
14th Nov 2006, 19:14
Hello Oba Idan Amani,

That is for the B737 I recieved it today from HR, I spoke today
with a pilot for the company and he did'nt really have any problems
with the company. I guess i'll let you know if I get in,I am just study
from now on as I have cathay and virgin nigeria interviews comming
up, do you know anyone in the company???

safe flying

mike

oba_idan_amani
15th Nov 2006, 07:44
I know one or two of the guys on the B737, top guys. With that kindof salary, that would explain why none of them switched over to Arik. I heard VK is getting B767 and EMB170/175. The B767 will replace one of the A340, and that the Dubia route will be re-started with the B767. The Emb will be used for the smaller airports like Benin, Osubi and Port Harcourt Military.

I have an interview lined up with them as well. I have been adviced to study the ACE technical manual, as all questions, both written and verbal are chosen from there.

Oba Idan Amani

Revnetwork
15th Nov 2006, 08:26
A lot has been said about people not being happy with the taxes they pay. Maybe it's time to explain.
In Nigeria, taxes are only paid on basic salary. Most companies circumvent this by paying a very small basic salary and then adding in entitlements and allowances. As a result, people pay very little in actual income tax. It is not unknown for someone's basic to make up only about 10% of their total salary.
VK does everything by the book. Basic salary will always be the biggest chunk of the package with all other entitlements factored in. From my discussions with some VK employees, they weren't happy that they were now paying a lot more in taxes (normal Nigerian reluctance to pay taxes), but when they looked deeper, they found that they were still taking home a lot more than they ever did in their previous company. The taxes deducted are also not withheld by VK, but paid to the FIRS.

mike halls
15th Nov 2006, 11:09
hi oba_idan_amani,

where do you get the ACE technical manual from as I have not
got it, I had asked HR yesterday what type of exam was it in
regards to difficulty and she actually gave me a couple over the phone.

any info on where i can get that material would be helpful.

safe flying all

mike

UN-Coordinated
15th Nov 2006, 12:32
Mike

You seem to be thinking only of the salary and bonuses.

Have you thought about the living conditions ? Lagos can be a pretty tough place to live, you either love it or hate it.

The journey from the hotel to the airport may take longer than the flight you are about to do, especially if there is a fuel queue at the filling station close by the domestic car-park.

I wonder how may expats will pass the interviews, sim etc and then jack-it on their first tour because they could not hack living in Lagos.

mike halls
16th Nov 2006, 02:03
Hello UN-Coordinated,

Yes very interesting post I must admit, well i have taken a lot
into consideration,but's lets face it i'm after a job and i know that
its pretty bad over there but so are a lot of other places.

They are opening up a lot of routes and also with a good
senority I could get a base in gatwick in the near future
or somewhere else.There have been a few ex-pats passing
the EXAMS and from the HR department that gave me a few
questions from the bank they really are quite fair.

We are all after that job that we have all been dreaming of since we all started pilot training and spending all that money on licence's so the last
thing on my mine is the conditions,i just want to fly and become a better
pilot and go up the ranks,you have to start somewhere.
As I get more info guys I will put it up, anyone who would like to PM
feel free to do so.

all the best to everyone out there

mike

oba_idan_amani
16th Nov 2006, 11:58
Lagos is OK, as long as you stay in Ikeja. From what I gather, the company has a guest house for pilots who are not Nigerians. Gatwick I believe is out of the quetion, as I heard no one is going on the A340 again. A lot of the VK Nigerian pilots were not too happy the aircraft is Golf registered, and have managed to convince management to get rid of it.
I also heard the B767 will now replace the A340s, and that it will be Wet Lease. This means, no Nigerians again will be employed on the long haul (both A340 and B767) in the near future. Just a rumour I heard from an insider, I hope its not true and VK management change its plans.

Oba Idan Amani

Revnetwork
16th Nov 2006, 14:16
Oba,
Those pilots who think they convinced VK to get rid of the 340's must have a lot of clout! I know why the aircraft are going, and it has nothing to do with the pilots. FYI there are already some Nigerians on the A340, only thing is they must have JAA licences.
The 767s might come in initially on a wet lease, but there should be Nigerian pilots flying them soon enough.On the whole, I think your insider isn't doing very badly.:ok:

R&F
22nd Nov 2006, 18:59
Dear all,

Anyone know, are VK accept any pilot from the B732 with 2000 hours as F/O??

or what is their requirement??

Thanks//

R&F

gen3
23rd Nov 2006, 07:58
Hello R&F,
Part of VK'srequirements are as follows:
All pilots must have:

Airline Transport Pilots Licence or Commercial Pilot’s Licence
Good understanding of commercial air transport operations
Positive and proactive attitude towards flight safety
Good communications skills
IT literacy
Driving licence

I'm pretty sure with the qualifications that you have, you will surely be a prospective applicant. I daresay, however, that you will have to go through the whole recruitment process - interview, technicals, sim assessments - as indicated in various posts in this forum. Your experience, however, should be an advantage.
You can check out the requirements and application form right here (http://www.virginnigeria.com/en/ng/flight_deck.aspx)
Take care and all the best! :ok:

R&F
23rd Nov 2006, 15:36
Thank you gen3.

Just send the application. Hope any response.
But how is the company overall beside the big name of Virgin??
Is it based in lagos or Joburg.

Thanks

R&F

contraxdog
23rd Nov 2006, 22:01
According to a friend that just started there a while ago the wood rot seemed to have started affecting it already. I was invited to the interviewand was consideing it seriously.He advised me not to come for the interview, and explained that it was not the same company he started with a while ago. Cracks already?? He is trying to get out.
Apart from that, the living conditions sucks like Electrolux.
Obi you go man!

surely not
24th Nov 2006, 08:54
Maybe yourfriend is the crack? Sounds like he doesn't fit in that well.

18left
24th Nov 2006, 11:34
can comfortably tell you,that its a great place to work,and a great team with friendly work atmosphere, they have a few issues though,but then again who doesnt?,nothing out of the ordinary in my opinion
To buttress my point check thier staff turnover ,thats how you judge a company!
If you where to form an association of ex VNA employees,you might all fit in a volkswagen beetle:ok: