PDA

View Full Version : Dakota in Europe for static line jumping?

airborne_artist
14th Nov 2006, 10:37
I'm looking for a European-based DC-3/C-47/Dakota for static line jumping in 2007. Any thoughts? I've spoke to the DDA who have put me onto another Dutch-based aircraft. I'm also in touch with Air Atlantique.

A small prize for the person who correctly IDs the reason we want to jump in 2007 in particular :E

treadigraph
14th Nov 2006, 12:38
60th Anniversary of the Malaysian Emergency? Other than that you got me...

Edited to say, no that was 1948... Roswell?

airborne_artist
14th Nov 2006, 17:32
Incredibly close for a first guess, Treaders. A bit of lateral thinking and you'll be there.

Tonka Toy
14th Nov 2006, 21:02
When was DB Phu? Suez or summint?:bored:

treadigraph
14th Nov 2006, 23:16
A bit of lateral thinking and you'll be there.

In me dreams... or as it involves parachutes, nightmares! :E

Far East? There was the Hong Kong Hijack Cat around then.. nah, gotta be a conflict right?

airborne_artist
15th Nov 2006, 11:24
No, not a conflict. Something worthwhile commemorating, all the same. It would help if you knew who I'd served with, but a bright lad like you could work that out.

ORAC
15th Nov 2006, 12:26
70th anniversary of Australia's first DC-3? (September 1937, Australian National Airways.)

H1HU
15th Nov 2006, 13:14
There is a WW2 Para reenactment group that organise parachute training for the anniversary drops at Arnhem and I think they might know the answer to your question.

I can't rember which group it is but I think if you contact this group via their e-mail they will point you in the right direction

[email protected]

the website is http://www.summerof44.org.uk/

If I find the name of the organiser of the training I'll let you know.

H1HU

Groundloop
15th Nov 2006, 13:32
First parachute jump by the Territorials?

airborne_artist
15th Nov 2006, 13:50
Groundloop has a small part of the answer.

izod tester
15th Nov 2006, 21:11
1947 was when 21 Regt SAS(Artists Rifles) was formed.

Carry0nLuggage
15th Nov 2006, 21:23
Well I was sure it had something to do with The Artists' Rifles and therefore 21 SAS even without the clues but I had to Google to check; I thought the SAS part came later in the 1950s.

1st Jan 1947 The Artists' Rifles reconstituted at Chelsea, and as 21 Battalion, Special Air Service Regiment (Artists' Rifles).

(When I was at college I think one of the lecturers was in C Squadron.)

airborne_artist
17th Nov 2006, 08:48
Well done. Izod T. It is particularly significant as 22 was founded from 21, and so became the first and only regular regiment to be parented by a Territorial regiment.

C sqn was at Hitchin until the mid 90s.

treadigraph
17th Nov 2006, 10:20
I'd never have got that - me? bright? Nah...

dakkg651
20th Nov 2006, 08:55
You're welcome to jump out of our Dak if you like.

Cost you a hundred grand to get it airworthy first tho.

airborne_artist
20th Nov 2006, 10:53
£100k?

Paddy Green bought N5831B (http://www.ruudleeuw.com/dc3-n5831b.htm) for US$75,000 with WW2 provenance, and airworthy!

Now where's that lottery ticket....

n473dc
20th Nov 2006, 12:29
Hi.

As your last post indicates, I own a C47, serial number N473DC. She is equipped with a static line and we dropped paras in Normandy last June and then at Ginkel Heath, Arnhem, in September - the Arnhem drop included the Red Devils later in the day.

If you want to contact me regarding using this aircraft, let me know - although one word of warning in advance - we stand very little (no) chance of dropping you guys in the UK - we would need to go to France/Belgium/Holland or possibly, Ireland.

Regards,

Paddy.

p.s. the $75,000 is just for starters - you`ve then got to start stripping it all down and refurbishing 60 odd years of deterioration!! Oh, and there`s also the small cost of flying it back from Arizona.

Riverboat
24th Nov 2006, 00:46
N473DC, I am a bit taken aback that your N-registered aircraft can be used for public transport in France (because para-dropping will be PT if any payment is made), when they are so ready to jump on any N-registered private aircraft that comes into the country!

Good luck with your initiative in offering your aircraft, but in this modern day and age, aren't you taking a risk doing this for payments, even in other European countries? If anything were to go wrong, I hate to think what the litigation consequences would be, never mind the out-and-out prosecution that would result. I am pretty sure that what you would be doing would be illegal, even if some party gave you a "permission"!

The world is getting so miserable.

WHBM
24th Nov 2006, 13:23
In my experience para aircraft tend to come from overseas more than most; a substantial influx from eastern Europe started in the 1990s.

Having dropped out of both an An-2 (Slovakian reg) and Let410 (Ukrainian Reg) in the UK the past, I understood it took some paperwork but was all in order. Have things changed ?