PDA

View Full Version : RN Aircrew Medical...Advice please!

TommyOv
13th Nov 2006, 12:22
Hi all,

Apologies if this has already been covered, but an initial search of threads proved fruitless...

I'm 23, recently graduated from uni, and am looking to join the RN as an aircrew officer. I have previously served in the RAuxAF, and also was in my University Royal Navy Unit.

I was rejected for RAF aircrew due to having a couple of salbutamol inhalers in early childhood for what "may or may not have been mild childhood asthma" according to my GP. I've heard that the RN has a generally more reasonable medical policy from speaking to some aircrew types at a visit to Dartmouth. Can anyone confirm? Or does anyone have accurate details of aircrew medical requirements and how they may differ from RAF requirements?

Cheers in advance

JAG3
13th Nov 2006, 13:31
I am also kind of in your situation and I have also heard the navy can be quite more lenient. There was a thread a few months ago about a guy who is now starting AIB who had mild childhood asthma and he stated that if your try RN you will probably get in aslong as you don't suffer from it now and never used your inhaler much or had an attack. BTW, whats your situation in terms of your arguement fighting your case-have you had a second opinion of such form. Feel free to PM me.:ok:

RobinXe
13th Nov 2006, 15:07
Very little pollen over the sea!

proudfishead
13th Nov 2006, 17:18
Apply, do your AIB. If you pass you will attend your initial aircrew medical at CAAMB (Central Admiralty & Air Medical Board) at HMS SUltan. You will do all the standard tests and your "childhood asthma" will be discovered when the Surgeon Commodore looks throuhg your med docs. The Commodore has the final say, but at least he provides an independent case-by-case review of your medical condition. If he does not think that it will be a factor in your flying then you will be awarded an RN flying medical category. I know of at least two front line RN pilots who were in the same position as you. Best advice: give it a go and see what the big man says, nothing to lose really.

Hope that helps.

jonny5
15th Nov 2006, 12:43
I also ahd an ihaler for suspected asthma as a kid. The RAF paid for me to go to hospital and do a couple of tests to attempt to induce an asthmatic response from me. Surprised they havent done the same for you.
As it turned out i joined the navy as a pilot anyway (best decision i have ever made) and the navy never said a word about it.
Hope this helps:confused:

anotherchopride?!
15th Nov 2006, 14:55
2 quick points -

1. Yes, apply and get the RN to decide for you, shouldn't be a problem as described by other posters.

2. Apply quick - it's quite a lengthy process and you are approaching the cut-off age. I understand that, although the RN website states the max age for Aircrew Officer as being 26, it has been reduced to nearer 24...

Good luck

Oh, and as a bonus, you'll enjoy joining the RN more than the joining the Crabs :ok:

Faithless
15th Nov 2006, 18:36
Very little pollen over the sea!

Whats that got to do with asthma ?
Asthma is not hayfever :=

RobinXe
15th Nov 2006, 18:47
Pollen can aggravate asthma :}

Feneris
15th Nov 2006, 19:00
I won't mention specific cases, but I know for a fact that the RN are a lot more sensible than the RAF when it comes to aircrew medicals.

orca
15th Nov 2006, 19:25
Don't admit to anything until they have you in thumb screws and bring out the cocker spaniel! Honstey is a wonderful virtue, but just remember - when you're ina fight with the quacks the best you'll ever get is neutral. If you walk out with the same med-cat you walked in with...that's a successful merge!

Best of luck.

movadinkampa747
15th Nov 2006, 20:04
If you walk out with the same med-cat you walked in with...that's a successful merge!

Even if it is A4 G4 Z5?

TommyOv
16th Nov 2006, 08:57
Thanks for all the replies chaps, all very helpful. Look like I'll be getting myself to the AFCO at the weekend!

anotherchopride, is 24 an 'unofficial' max age limit or is RN policy officially changing?

bsl
21st Dec 2006, 11:31
They were keen to bring it down to 24, but given current shortages they've gone a bit quiet on it at the moment.

I used inhalers as a kid up to the age of 13 and joined the RN (Observer route) at the age of 23. I was honest with them from the start about it and it proved to be no problem. Don't know if there's a length of time required where you haven't been on medication though. If there's any doubt they'll send you to be tested by a doc.

Hope this helps.

NavyTorque
30th Dec 2006, 22:00
DNR have recently relaxed the rules concerning astma and potential aircrew entry. Previously any "admitted history" usually resulted in rejection, however, now a more subjective view (by a Navy Doctor) will be made depending upon last attack, severity etc.

If your AFCO is unaware of this change then I urge you to ask him/her to contact DNR HQ in Portsmouth for clarification of the recent changes!

Good Luck

NavyTorque
30th Dec 2006, 22:05
PS

The current upper age limit for RN aircrew is..... "must not have reached 26th birthday before joining Dartmouth". There is discussion to reduce it, however this has not yet taken effect - to the best of my knowledge.

However I know of (rare) cases where the age limit has been relaxed slightly - it's a game of supply and demand. If you are relying on this then best you perform well at AIB and Pilot Aptitude Tests!

Good Luck!