PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter - Fixed Wing

flyingtonka
12th Nov 2006, 15:41
I have an FAA ATP (helicopter) 3500+ hours P1 - of which about 2500 are turbine - of which 1000 are muti crew medium twins (IFR).

Right now I am just about at the top of my game - flying in New York City as Captain of a S76, regularly flying into JFK or LGA IMC (much fun).

I am now considering getting into fixed wing back in good old Blighty and I'm trying to decide whether to take the JAA ATP for fixed wing or rotorcraft.

If I spent the next couple of years getting my JAA ATP(fixed wing) then flew 500 hours P2 in a Gulfstream plus my 3500+ hours P1 Helicopter, would I get into say Ryanair, Easyjet, BA, and all those other short haul A320 / B737 operators with a little more ease?

Any other helicopter guys made the transition to fixed wing? How was your experience? :D

flytolive
16th Nov 2006, 15:09
DGCA, India has relaxed rules for helicopter pilots with more than 1000 hrs PIC to apply for CPL by flying 100 hours fixed wing as against the normal 200 hours for CPL.

can someone clarify the following pl :

1. Is it mandatory to obtain clearence from DGCA to fly abroad for building up those 100 hrs, come back & apply for CPL here in india?

2. I have 10 years multiple entry business/tourist (B1) visa for US. Can I visit n fly in US on this visa?

3. any schools in US that offers a package deal for 100 hours of pic + 25 hrs multi

4. if flying on B1 visa, is there any embargo on the expenditure involved in terms of foreign exchange regulations?

i'd be thankful if someone can xplain these to me.