PDA

View Full Version : Airbus Considers Composites For A350 Fuselage

punkalouver
12th Nov 2006, 02:57
Didn't they criticize Boeing for their use of composites. Then again they originally brushed off the 787. Can we believe anything Airbus says?

Airbus Considers Composites For A350 Fuselage

Sun, 05 Nov '06
Planemaker Scrambles For Answer To 787 Challenge

Are composites the answer for Airbus? There is mounting evidence that Airbus thinks so.

This would be a radical departure for a company that's publicly upbraided Boeing for its all-composite 787 Dreamliner. Airbus has accused Boeing of "pushing the technology envelope" with the 787.

Now, according to Bloomberg, Airbus is considering a composite fuselage for the A350.

The A350 design has been through several different iterations since it was first announced -- six to be exact. The latest came earlier this year at the annual Farnborough Air Show when Airbus announced plans for the A350 XWB, for extra-wide body.

Before flip-flopping on its abhorrence to all-composite construction sometime after Farnborough, Airbus said the XWB was to have a composite wing, but a metal fuselage. There were to be three versions of the A350, but none would be ready for customer deliveries before 2012.

Airbus has focused a great deal of energy and resources lately on getting the troubled A380 program off the ground. Delivery dates for the superjumbo have slipped a number of times and the program is now two years behind schedule.

The beleaguered manufacturer has been steadily loosing ground to rival Boeing in the mid-sized airliner market -- Boeing has more than 400 firm orders for its 787 even though the aircraft has yet to fly.

This latest news from Airbus comes following recent statements from Emirates that the A350 design is still lacking as regards the airlines requirements. Emirates is to buy up to 100 mid-sized airliners and is reportedly choosing between the A350 and 787.

Bloomberg's sources say Airbus will present the A350 design changes to parent company EADS on Tuesday. Reportedly, development costs on the program will increase $2 billion up to $12 billion, and delivery dates will slip to 2013.

Many industry analysts believe the A350 is the only way for Airbus to compete with Boeing for the mid-sized airliner market. Emirates president Tim Clark told reporters if Airbus can't find a way to compete with the 787 "...they'll be out of business."

Of course, all of the design changes Airbus has made to the A350 to date may prove moot if parent EADS isn't happy -- it has yet to even approve the aircraft's development.

punkalouver
17th Nov 2006, 20:04
Launch of A350 imminent, Airbus sales chief says

Seattle Times aerospace reporter

Airbus executive John Leahy reveals he had heart surgery.

More from the interview with Airbus sales chief

Airbus supersalesman John Leahy says he'll have a trump card when selling the new A350 jet against Boeing's 787: a composite plastic fuselage that's more easily repaired.

In a phone interview Tuesday from Airbus headquarters in Toulouse, France, Leahy said he expects the much-delayed plane will be launched this month.

He confirmed the so-called A350-XWB, which will compete against Boeing's 787 and 777 jets, will likely have a carbon fiber-reinforced plastic fuselage similar to the 787's.

But there will be a crucial difference, said Leahy.

To make repairs easier, Airbus will construct the fuselage with plastic panels rather than the huge, single-piece tubular sections Boeing is using.

"Most of the world's airlines, at least the ones I've been talking to, have big concerns about that," Leahy said, referring to Boeing's approach.

"That's where composites gets people worried a bit, on the repairability. ... Anything you see with Airbus will have composites perhaps in sections that can be removed and repaired rather easily."

And, revealing what must be one more concern for the troubled European jet builder, Leahy, 56, said he had heart surgery two weeks ago.

Doctors put a couple of stents in a blocked coronary artery and have advised the New York-born Leahy to slow his frenetic work pace.

"Boeing's market share may have had something to do with it," Leahy joked.

His workload clearly was a factor. "I've been told if I don't want to have more blockages in my heart, I ought to slow down a little bit," Leahy said.

Yet he showed his usual vigor in batting away any suggestion his company faces decline.

"The survivability of Airbus is not in doubt," Leahy said, "It's generating billions of dollars in cash and revenue and profits. ... It's not as bad as it looks."

Leahy is Airbus' key link to customers.

He not only sells airplanes, he also tells the design and production side what the airlines want.

He deserves much of the credit for the ascent of Airbus, which in 2003 dislodged Boeing as the world's top commercial-airplane manufacturer.

But this year, the delay in delivering the A380 superjumbo jet stretched to two years, causing a huge financial hit; and the A350 proved no match for the 787 and had to be radically revamped.

Through October, Boeing won 788 orders to Airbus' 508, and two consecutive chief executives left the company.

Leahy has been jetting around the world to keep key customers on board the A380 program — unhappy airlines like Qantas in Australia.

"I did spend three nights on airplanes flying out to Australia. Unfortunately for me, that was just before I had the heart surgery," Leahy said.

"I'm still trying to get out to meet the customers. But I guess as you get older, you slow down a bit."

Airbus can ill afford to have him on the sidelines. Leahy was hospitalized with a burst appendix in April 2005, just before Boeing began a devastating run of 787 sales.

The launch of the A350 is crucial to stemming that sales flow to Boeing.

To increase performance and reduce weight, Airbus is likely to make the A350 fuselage panels from carbon-fiber-reinforced composite plastic rather that previously planned aluminum/lithium alloy, Leahy said.

That would mean the entire airframe skin is made from composites as on the 787.

But Leahy said Airbus has rejected Boeing's construction method, which creates a large single-piece fuselage section by wrapping carbon fiber tape around a drum-like mold and hardening it in a high-pressure oven.

"Our engineering staff are pretty convinced that is not at all the way to go," Leahy said.

To allay customer worries on repairing a fuselage dented in service, Airbus will construct the fuselage in much smaller pieces, so that a damaged panel "can be removed and repaired rather easily," Leahy said.

Responding in a statement, Boeing said it has tested how to repair both large and small areas, "and we're confident we have the right material and manufacturing method."

Despite a large order Tuesday for 52 single-aisle A320s from British low-cost carrier easyJet, Leahy doesn't expect to bridge the order gap with Boeing by the end of the year.

But he is consoled by the gangbuster pace of airplane deliveries, which should be well over 400 jets this year.

"In 22 years at Airbus, I don't think we've had this big a backlog with this level of production," Leahy said.