PDA

View Full Version : CATHAY or EMIRATES

CLEANCRUISER
10th Nov 2006, 19:51
I have interviews with both EK & CX next month as a First Officer, and would seek peoples opinions on which one would be a better choice as an airline. Taking into consideration the remuneration package offered by both, which one stand taller than the other. Career wise and prospect of getting command, which will be most likely to be quicker.

Appreciate any light shed on this matter.

Thanks!:ok:

Numero Crunchero
15th Nov 2006, 08:17
Good advice,
just a quick bit of advice....had a friend who was in CX for 2 years then spent 5or 6 years in EK. He has always regretted leaving CX. It takes about 9 or so years to get a command in CX compared with around 3 for EK. But an EK captain earns about the same as a CX FO. Even though there are more fringe benefits to EK, free housing/utilities no tax, I think the cost of living isn't too far below HKG.
Most of my friends that work there have said DXB is like gold plating...very shiny, just don't scratch the suface.

In spite of all the financial issues, I can tell you the politics are worse in EK(from my EK ex CX friends) but you do get the quick command. Of course the million dollar question is where are you from. EK might suit you if you are from Europe...but if you are from Oz Cx is much better. It seems to me that people want to leave EK around the 6-8year mark versus a lot longer for CX.

Try the other forums to get more opinions!