PDA

View Full Version : Who's been shopping for Qantas?

jupiter2
10th Nov 2006, 12:11
November 9, 2006
Australia's Qantas Airways on Thursday downplayed a media report that the airline was facing a potential takeover by a private equity group.

"I don't think it's happening," Qantas Chief Executive Geoff Dixon said when asked if a hedge fund had been buying shares in the airline.

Dixon was speaking at a panel discussion at an aviation industry conference in Singapore.

Qantas shares closed at a four-year high on Tuesday after an unsourced report in The Australian Financial Review newspaper said a private equity fund was eyeing the company.

(Reuters)

Mud Skipper
10th Nov 2006, 17:59
Don't care who wants to buy, they can have mine at $4.37 who ever they are.

I'll buy back in when it returns to $2.80 in six months after the JetStar launch and some spin has wound down.:rolleyes: :} :} :}

Sunfish
10th Nov 2006, 18:44
I get the distinct impression that the rats are leaving the sinking ship - no not Qantas. I believe that major American investors are trying to get their hands on non american assets before the U.S. Dollar tanks. I think I understand that KKR just bought Vivendi for $50 Billion, and they had a $16 billion (?) bid for Coles.

I therefore wouldn't be surprised to see them look at other Australian "Asset classes" Bluescope steel, AGL, etc.

But would they want an airline? Nah!

Maybe Mr. Packer wants it instead. I can think of a number of (unprintable) reasons he might.

The Professor
11th Nov 2006, 22:05
Sunfish - I agree. Trade agreements such as the one with Oz enable US companies and investment houses to slowly move into more stable markets in case the greenback tanks (which it will).

The picture is so much bigger than "Dixon is nasty and taking away my chances of promotion".