PDA

View Full Version : PMI - MAN Route

cessna l plate
10th Nov 2006, 07:03
Just a quick question, borne of a Dad who thinks a student ppl knows how airway routes work!!

Having had a look at my half mil vfr chart can't really work it our that well, so when inbound to MAN from PMI which VOR's or others do you you follow. The reason for the request is my Dad wants to know what part of London is the pilot talking about on the PA when flying overhead that great city?

So where do you enter the UK airspace, and then what is the route beyond that?

Cheers

Blighty Pilot
10th Nov 2006, 07:41
I am no expert on MAN arrivals as I have only operated in there a couple of times.
Arrivals from the South can bring you up over London - the last time I flew it was overhead LHR and LTN then on towards EMA.
99% of the time we navigate using the FMS database system and this contains numerous waypoints (Lat and Long positions is the sky). These waypoints are given 5 digit names such as DAYNE, MARGO, RODNI etc etc. These waypoints are created by using radials and distances from radio beacons or Lat and Long positions. We don't therefore have to navigate directly to the beacons (beacon hopping).
I appologise if I am teaching you to suck eggs, as I see you have your PPL. I hope this answers your question, maybe someone else might add their 2 cents worth and word it slightly better. Hopefully you'll hear from someone with more experience of operating into Manchester than me.

cessna l plate
10th Nov 2006, 08:51
Cheers for that. I am still a student (Can't tell the difference between Skegness and Mablethorpe when navigating!!) I am aware that there are waypoints used, is that is the case all the way in, can someone give me a typical route, I can draw it on the map, and then say "there you go, now stop mythering Dad"

Cheers

Blighty Pilot
10th Nov 2006, 09:14
I'm guessing an enthusiast has put this together
: http://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/62801/

The last time I flew into MAN I did the DAYNE 2A arrival.

This plate is slightly out of date - but give your the general idea.

Brian Fantana
10th Nov 2006, 11:22
On first contact with London ATC they will normally give you the routing AVANT,MIDHUST,OCKHAM, HEMEL for a DAYNE arrival at MAN.
So we fly just East of the Isle of White, just West of the city and heathrow, south west of Luton/Bedford and then continue up towards East Midlands/Stoke on Trent, hopefully no holding at DAYNE. The arrival I have flown the most is the DAYNE2A onto 24R. Manchester ATC will radar vector us around typically leaving DAYNE on a heading of 030 then vectors to establish onto the localiser for 24R.
Hope that helps a little, happy plotting:ok: