PDA

View Full Version : Check in staff / passenger service agents pay. (What scraps are you thrown)

ringleader
9th Nov 2006, 23:07
My first post, so go easy.

Based at NCL for the circus im payed £5.30-something + £0.70-something pence per hour shift allowance.
Not very impressive, but i'm wondering if anyone else can relate to this.

Let me know how much you are being payed, and what you would believe to be a more fair/reasonable amount.

Given recent security events I would consider this job to be more important than ever, and not somewhere for airlines to cut budgetary corners. On average, airline customers will interact with ground agents more than with cc, anyone travelling with an airline is likely to be impressed upon more by the low paid passenger agents than any direct employee of the actual airline (especially in the case of delays). Surely it is in the airlines' best interests to ensure that handling companies are paying their staff fairly.

Read alot of posts on here, the travel industry is a great sector to work in and it's very often fun, however, for the times when its a pain in the a*** it would be nice to be paid more than the equivalent of 2 car parking spaces in the short stay area per hour.

Captb747
13th Nov 2006, 13:30
Welcome to PPRuNe
Given recent security events I would consider this job to be more important than ever

Why is that then. the job has always been a very important one. There is not alot an agent can do regarding security aspects. Of course there are the usual security questions that are asked but thats it.

I certainly feek for you however. I worked as an Ops Guy for a (then) new charter airline. Best shift was 0300-1300!!!!! and the pay was less than pitance. It does get bettre mind you so keep going.:p

LHR_777
16th Nov 2006, 06:10
Well, when I started at BA at LHR as a CSA exactly two years ago today, the salary was £12,500, plus £4000 shift pay. If you look at www.britishairwaysjobs.com, you'll see that the current customer service vacancies have a salary of £12,951 plus shift pay.

Now two years later, I'm at nearly £20k, and doing what I love! I did leave customer service recently, I'm now working in Operations Planning and Control. But as Captb747 said, hang in there, it does get better!

boeingbus2002
18th Nov 2006, 17:54
LHR777,
Do you mean to say you are on £20k approx for Ops Planning and control? Is that same as load control? And inclusive of Shift allowance/london weighting allowance?

weis
18th Nov 2006, 21:21
I believe that is exactly what LHR_777 does, i.e. load control, 20k is inclusive of everything.

SAGG...SUCKS
20th Nov 2006, 20:34
:ok: Again as the gang said WELCOME to PPRuNe. I've not been a member long myself but its good to stay the loop, you'll probably find out more about your own station then your station manerger would let on!!! As Captb747 said with the level of security in the job today, the wage DOES NOT match the responsabilitiy but it can only get better i hope.
I've worked in the job for over ten years and i personally hope it gets better, oh and welcome to the circus!!! They have to improve soon :hmm:

LHR_777
21st Nov 2006, 10:28
I believe that is exactly what LHR_777 does, i.e. load control, 20k is inclusive of everything.

Correct - you read my profile! 'Operations Planning and Control' is the fancy name for the department. 20K is basic, *including* shift pay. It doesn't include overtime though, which for me averages around another £4.5K per year. So I guess it's around £24.5K. Considering I started at £16K 2 years ago, that's not too bad, is it?

thebeehive
21st Nov 2006, 16:00
Correct - you read my profile! 'Operations Planning and Control' is the fancy name for the department. 20K is basic, *including* shift pay. It doesn't include overtime though, which for me averages around another £4.5K per year. So I guess it's around £24.5K. Considering I started at £16K 2 years ago, that's not too bad, is it?

Good progress LHR_777.

I was taken on as a temp ramp agent at LGW a month ago, was off for weeks while the checks were carried out to get my pass then I was laid off due to the loss of the GB contract :ugh:

Applied for a customer service roll with BA at LGW, I was told 13K ish plus £60 p/w shift pay so fingers crossed. I'm after some good experience to put with my degree and hope to progress but we'll see, anyway being LGW based means you LHR lot get first crack of the whip on jobs, eh? :}