PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Cargo Upgrade and Training

I'mbatman
9th Nov 2006, 22:55
Can someone explain to me how guys that have been at Cathay for 2 years can upgrade so quickly? Is it b/c more senior people are not interested in moving to the freighter? I can't see how in 2 years they entire list would have the chance to be assessed and not take it......please help.....also, is regards to training....are the sim instructors line pilots or not? Is there anywhere that I can get a real idea on training? People on here scream that training is miserable, etc. but guys I actually talk to say it isn't a big deal if you just do your job and study hard.......thanks
IB

mayday911
10th Nov 2006, 00:28
Training is not bad as long as you do your job, don't argue and don't take anything personally.

Mayday.

SMOC
10th Nov 2006, 02:16
It's a PAYCUT for those on the PAX fleet and a PAY RISE for those on the Freighter fleet.

Numero Crunchero
12th Nov 2006, 12:08
Caped crusader, not sure if previous two posts have answered your questions!

Pay cut is a big determinant...plus to some extent, 'fear' of the training system..it takes a few years to get to know a company culture. Often it comes down to not moving the family around so much from country to country(all freighter guys are based...sort of...some get hkg rosters but no hkg expat benefits!) every 2-4 years or so. If you just bought a house in HKG you don't want to give up the housing allowance you use to pay it off to get an earlier upgrade. Lots of little reasons. I don't believe there is any real stigma to transferring in either direction!?

The sim instructors....2 types...those that do training and those that do checking. The trainers are almost all ex commercial pilots...many from the big Australian dispute of 89. Some were in CX but have lost their medicals. The checkers are line check captains...ie they check in sims and on the line equally!
All clear?
PS training...hmmm....my ex wife thought using the DVD remote control was difficult....so who am i to judge whether our training is difficult. I do think we have an abnormally high failure rate but that is just my opinion! Talk to your 'peers' that are here and see what they have to say!