PDA

View Full Version : Air Display 'C*ck Ups'

Pages : [1] 2

GasFitter
9th Nov 2006, 18:41
I heard a story of a Harrier pilot who completely fouled up his display and nearly crashed his jet. Upon landing, was ready to 'cough' to his errors, but instead won the 'best display' award - although his 'mishap' didn't escape his Bosses who tore him off a strip.
Is this just urban myth - or did it really happen?
Are there any other stories of 'air show gaffes'?
http://z.about.com/f/wiki/e/en/thumb/8/8e/Crash.arp.600pix.jpg/250px-Crash.arp.600pix.jpg

rab-k
9th Nov 2006, 19:11
Its not all about having thrust, it's knowing when to use it :D

http://www.lindenhillimports.com/images/Typhoon%2005%200715%20600.jpg

I believe the driver admitted to the speed bleeding off a little too much before the vector roll, but hey, I couldn't figure out how to open the canopy on one of these things, never mind fly the beast. (I know my place :( ).

Video:

http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircraft_Eurofighter_Typhoon-Airline_United_Kingdom_-_Air_Force_Aviation_Video-5332.html

Links to vids of T-Birds F16 (previous post)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=481K61tdSVc (External view)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSEcXNwxBsk (Cockpit view)

(Link to official T-Bird PR vid: http://www.thunderbirds.acc.af.mil/06showtime.htm
"Stop it Mav, you're giving me a hard-on")

DucatiST4
9th Nov 2006, 19:32
I heard of a Tornado that was due to dispaly at Duxford. He ran in and did his display perfectly but apparently he wondered why there were no cars parked around the airfield as normal.

Turned out he had done his whole display over Cambridge Airfield instead of Duxford.

Selfloading
9th Nov 2006, 20:12
Couple of years ago at Farnborough, was in the crowd waiting to see the B52 from Fairford do a pass, was much surprised when despite the commentators patter about looking to the left etc etc, no sign of said B52, however my surprise was nothing compared with that of the people at Blackbushe, when unannounced a bloody great big eight engined bomber sailed over at a few hundred feet.

chiglet
9th Nov 2006, 21:55
Yonks ago an F111 did a [very] highspeed Low Level [below the Tower] pass at Manchester International Airport, and very nice too :ok:
Umfortunately eh shold have been at WOODFORD, 3 1/2 miles away :E
watp,iktch

MightyGem
9th Nov 2006, 22:47
Found a pair of knickers in the back of my Lynx after a Wallop airshow one year, so I suppose there must have been some sort of c**k up there! :}

reynoldsno1
9th Nov 2006, 23:02
Did a show in a Nimrod in malta yonks ago - v2 climb out, lost my hamburger down the back during the rapid rotate (we was very light) - never did find it, but did put in a loose article report.....

cynicalint
9th Nov 2006, 23:03
doing a flypast along the runway at 'x' feet in a Nimrod at Fairford with QNH set instead of QFE gave quite a punchy arrival! and a peculiar feeling afterwards.......

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
10th Nov 2006, 04:30
When they opened the Gateway Arch in St Louis

http://www.slfp.com/030106/Arch_0752.jpg

part of the celebration was to have a skydiving demonstration, probably to fly through it. Well for some reason he landed on the top of it which was ok until a gust of wind took the canopy and blew him off into what became a fatal fall. Unfortunately his family was in the crowd watching.

:(

NoseGunner
10th Nov 2006, 05:45
And of course there is the Harrier pilot who did completely foul up his display and crash his jet by moving the wrong lever!! :uhoh:

Pilot Pacifier
10th Nov 2006, 06:47
At least he got to the display! Where as the RIAT Harrier this year didn't :oh:

Must go, think my mobile is ringing...:}

Arm out the window
10th Nov 2006, 06:48
A sobering one to read about was from 'Notes for Display Pilots', that fine compilation of good gen from the UK, about the Tornado pilot who extended at the top of some looping manoueuvre for positioning but kept the power in, therefore accelerating whilst level inverted and pulling down at a greater speed than he otherwise would have, and sadly not making it around at the bottom.

ORAC
10th Nov 2006, 06:59
about the Tornado pilot who extended at the top of some looping manoueuvre for positioning but kept the power in, therefore accelerating whilst level inverted and pulling down at a greater speed than he otherwise would have, and sadly not making it around at the bottom.F4 - RAF Abingdon

Notes for Display Pilots (http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/E4518A80-0FD3-4912-AB5A-40C19D5E77DD/0/dasc_flying_notes.pdf)

I do remember being at Farnborough in 1984 when the Buffalo crashed. They were demonstrating a short landing and landed, shall we say, a little firmly. The undercarriage/wing structure did exactly as designed and crumpled to absorb the impact, leaving the aircraft sat on the end of the runway as the crew sheepishly crawled out.

Which reminds me of the story, well before my time and it may be false, of the story of a Gannet crash.

IIRC the story went that they used to shut down half the Mamba and feather one prop to show how they could fly on one. They then tried to restart the other during a low pass and unfeathered the second prop, the engine did not start and the additional drag caused the aircraft to sink and touch the ground where it slid along till coming to a stop with the engine still roaring away. The crew then shut down, exited the aircraft and gave a wave and a bow to the crowd, before retiring in a dignified manner back to the squadron.....

Gainesy
10th Nov 2006, 08:16
Farnborough 1960s, when the Sunday show went out live on BBC
SAAB 105 does immaculate display, lands wheels up and slides to a halt, canopy opens, big Swede gets out, removes helmet and drop kicks it into the outfield. Raymond Baxter:"Oh dear, he looks a bit upset".:)

rab-k
10th Nov 2006, 08:32
And of course there is the Harrier pilot who did completely foul up his display and crash his jet by moving the wrong lever!! :uhoh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLuF1BK4GtA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLuF1BK4GtA&mode=related&search=)

I recall on a 'proon' thread at the time somebody remarking that had the display been over land the driver would have wound up in the middle of a burning pile of scrap metal. (As it was I believe he suffered a broken ankle :uhoh:)

GeeRam
10th Nov 2006, 08:45
I believe the immediate first 'on ground meeting' of the pilots involved in the 2 x Mig 29's incident at RIAT was a tad entertaining....:E

henry crun
10th Nov 2006, 09:17
B of B day at Wattisham in the mid 50's.

In preparation for the crazy flying display by a Chippy, the commentator built up a story about a prisoner who had escaped from a nearby jail, and was believed to be heading this way

Sure enough, at the right moment, a denimed figure burst from the crowd and leapt into the Chippy parked in front of the public enclosure. The guy who had been crouching in the other seat out of sight to the crowd, promptly fired the cartridge and away they went.

It lurched around a no more than 200ft for a while the commentator kept saying "oh dear he cannot fly" etc etc.

They then did a horrible flat skidding turn in front of the officers enclosure while the commentator said " oh, he's going to stall", and they did, "Oh, he's going to crash", and he did.

It hit the ground in a more or less level attitude, the undercarriage spronged off, the wings sagged, and a distinct kink appeared in the fuselage just behind the canopy.

As the dust settled the two guys got out and walked off, closely followed by the Groupie who did not look very happy.

airborne_artist
10th Nov 2006, 09:27
The one time an Italian officer needs reverse gear and hasn't got one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDfW5ub_yos RIAT 2002.

Kitbag
10th Nov 2006, 09:43
DH 110 Farnborough in the 50s I think. Anyone remember?

Not so much of a c*ck up, more like structural failure. Crew of 2 and 29?spectators died.

This thread has the potential to amuse but I think we should try to avoid the fatalities if possible.

GANNET FAN
10th Nov 2006, 09:46
Not so much of a c*ck up, more like structural failure. Crew of 2 and 29?spectators died.

This thread has the potential to amuse but I think we should try to avoid the fatalities if possible.

Yes agreed and apologies. I certainly had no intention of demeaning the accident. I was there as a child and actually remember the incident but was not aware it was a catastophic failure.
JC

ShyTorque
10th Nov 2006, 10:24
During an air display in the good old days, back before the troubles in NI, a British Army Bell 47 lands near to crowd line, pilot gets out and begins a conversation with some spectators.

A little old lady, complete with umbrella, sneaks into cockpit and takes off. Crazy flying ensues, to the highly entertaining extent that tail rotor hits the ground and breaks. After a few pirouettes, the helicopter lands "after a fashion". All concerned somewhat embarrassed.

Group flying order book rapidly gets new order, on first page: "crazy flying is prohibited" - probably still there!

"Little old lady" later gets promoted and even becomes a squadron commander of a well known helicopter training school!

Same "LOL" is now a CAA Ops Inspector..... but "her" name is protected because I might have a check ride with "her" one day :ok:

Groundgripper
10th Nov 2006, 11:24
Clophill (Bedfordshire) village fete and airshow in the early eighties (I think) - F-4 pilot misread the minimum height of 250 ft as 50ft, resulting pass at very high speed caused all sorts of consternation among assembled folk:} . A couple of years later, the USAF European F-16 display pilot succeeded in doing his entire display over a village about four miles away, in sight of, but frustratingly distant from, the viewers (who had to make do with the BBMF, Red Arrows, etc., etc).

GG

gravity victim
10th Nov 2006, 12:01
The world of parachute displays has produced many a splendid c*ck-up especially in the days of round canopies, which were far less steerable. One classic involved a young lady (later to be UK womens champion) jumping in silly winds, who missed the DZ and went straight through a bungalow's bathroom window. The owner, on hearing a loud crashing noise, went to investigate. Just as he was absorbing the sight of a stunned female lying in his bathtub with a collection of strings leading out of the window, the canopy, which was draped over the roof, sudenly reinflated and she exited as quickly as she arrived...

wz662
10th Nov 2006, 12:11
The parachute test team at Boscombe Down (all serving RAF PJIs and ex members of the RAF Falcons) were asked to to a display jump at a Boscombe Down's Families day.
To a man they missed their DZ on the establishment's sportsfield and landed on a school one half a mile away.:D

dakkg651
10th Nov 2006, 12:54
I remember the Phantom that burst a tyre on landing after a display and veers toward runway edge. Nav instantly elects on a Martin Baker letdown (they were always pretty nervous types) whilst pilot plugs in reheat, gets airborne again, and calmly takes it round the circuit for an unaventful landing. Crowd cheers pilot. Crowd jeers Nav.

montagnes noires
10th Nov 2006, 13:05
Clophill (Bedfordshire) village fete and airshow in the early eighties (I think) - F-4 pilot misread the minimum height of 250 ft as 50ft, resulting pass at very high speed caused all sorts of consternation among assembled folk:}
GG

Seems to have been a thing with the F-4 community? I was a young lad attending an airshow at Fairyhouse racecourse in Ireland, '84. A USAF RF-4C did a transonic pass at what felt like 50ft over the racecourse stands. Big blast of wind (mainly from the a/c!) and fluttering crisp packets. Also a lot of people with that 'under fire' expression you see on the news - eyes bulging in fear.

Another Irish airshow, Baldonnel aerodrome, '89 or '90 I think. New-looking Swiss AF F/A-18 does a nice display. Later in the show came the turn of the Spanish AF Hornet! Did a hair-raising series of manoeuvres finishing in four or five UNSCHEDULED touch-and-goes. I know they were unscheduled because the tower announcer sounded well annoyed and kept announcing each one as the last one, only to have the Hornet blast off into the sky again!

AvTech
10th Nov 2006, 13:12
Not at an air show but funny anyway. Crusader '80 at 4 Sqn, 4 site families BBQ, 3F Sqn 'boner' jets hoofs in at low level comes back hovers, goes backwards, forwards, sideways then attempts to land wheels up. Just as the gun pods are about to touch the mexipad, Harrier mate realises hes a bit lower than norm, throttles up lifts 50', wheels come down and he lands to rapturous applause from everyone except...... the Harrier Force Commander (Gut Staish) whos heard to say 'send that pilot to me as soon as he gets out'. Message gets passed to pilot by a group of willing bystanders. Red faced pilot walks through crowd of families to meet the HFC for a walk and natter amongst the trees. priceless!!

Flatus Veteranus
10th Nov 2006, 14:55
Yes agreed and apologies. I certainly had no intention of demeaning the accident. I was there as a child and actually remember the incident but was not aware it was a catastophic failure.
JC.

I saw this accident when I was a student. John Derry (of "Derry Turn" fame) had announced his arrival with a sonic boom before crossing the runway at a few hundred feet at high speed an pulling umpteen g. Just before crossing the runway the aircraft broke up. John Derry and his observer, still in their seats, hit the ground on the airfield. The two Avons followed a ballistic trajectory striking "the Hill" on which many spectators were gathered. Carnage. The display organisers, in order to distract the crowds and avoid panic, cleared Neville Duke, who was waiting to take off in his Hunter, to take off and do his thing. I think Duke and his Hunter held the air speed record at the time. He reappeared shortly afterwards in the lowest, fastest flypast I have seen either hitherto or since. Cool customer!
Analysis of amateur movies, frame by frame showed one of the wingtips to be the first bit to drop off the 110. All this was very much headline stuff in the era of the "battle with the sound barrier". A great tragedy - not a cock-up - although it was alleged that JD might have overstressed the DH110.

This accident was the origin of current air display rules governing distances and headings relative to the crowd line.

JagRigger
10th Nov 2006, 14:58
Another technical failure, but only amusing as no one hurt:
the Chinook at Abingdon losing a rear U/C leg whilst reverse hover-taxiing a few years ago.

Pictures on Airliners.net - search for ZA707

I was there for the F4 mentioned too - very sad. It was actually the day before the show, and the event was, obviously, cancelled.

To finish on a lighter note, again at Abingdon, the US Navy appeared one year. F14's and S3's. We, the techies, massed outside 'F' shed to watch them arrive. Now our hangar was around 2/3rds down the runway. S3 approaches from other end:

"he's a bit high"
"he's leaving it a bit late"
"he's a carrier plane, maybe he's taking the wire"
"nah - it's an oveshoot"
"oops" as said plane lands practically on the overshoot, continues across the grass, through a fence and stops on the Shippon road!

How he manages on a few hundred yards of pitching carrier when he can't land on a mile or so of runway escapes me!

smithoag
10th Nov 2006, 17:38
Jagrigger
was also there to witness the Phantom in '88,and the S-3 Viking incident was earlier the same day....a local myth in these 'ere parts has it that the local constabulary slapped a parking ticket on the Viking as it sat across the Barrow Road awaiting recovery!!!!!!!!!!
Also saw the Chinook incident in 2005 when I was(and still am) part of the organising committee for the Abingdon Air & Country Show
Colin

Chris Kebab
10th Nov 2006, 19:17
dakk

F-4 bursts a tyre gets airborne again pilot "calmly takes it round the circuit for an unaventful (sic) landing"

Uneventful?

Are you sure, when did this actually happen?

Background Noise
10th Nov 2006, 19:26
Are we referring to the F4 which left the runway during a takeoff, nav jumped out, pilot got airborne and landed elsewhere. Almost the same story.

bunta130
10th Nov 2006, 19:27
Think you'll find that this incident happened at Bournemouth.......

Not quite as described either, other than the nav did step out and the pilot then landed.....at Lyneham I recall. Must have been in the early 80s.

bunta130
10th Nov 2006, 19:29
Aha....Background Noise....beat me to it:D

SirToppamHat
10th Nov 2006, 19:31
Just slightly off thread, but came across it while looking at one of the earlier clips and thought it might be of interest. It's HUD film of an F16 landing without an engine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkBSXW_KqyE&NR

STH

I'll get me coat!

NURSE
10th Nov 2006, 20:35
AFM a few years ago now published a series of Pics of an GR5 Harrier display in Chile where the Harrier dispaly pilot came in for a touch and go and didn't select undercarriage down and slid up the runway in a shower of sparks very impressive

dakkg651
10th Nov 2006, 20:44
dakk
F-4 bursts a tyre gets airborne again pilot "calmly takes it round the circuit for an unaventful (sic) landing"
Uneventful?
Are you sure, when did this actually happen?

Not too sure of the exact date but I think it was in the late eighties.

I remember the video clip on BBC news. The pilot decided that it was better to get airborne again rather than departing the runway at 140kts. Nav decided to leave the pilot to it. Not sure if the lonely pilot took the aircraft somewhere else for a RHAG engagement but it did say the aircraft landed without further damage.

movadinkampa747
10th Nov 2006, 20:47
If it was going to veer off the runway because of a flat tyre on the first landing why didn't it do on the second?

airborne_artist
10th Nov 2006, 20:52
MDK - perhaps the clever pilot, now knowing the problem, anticipated the effect a burst tyre would have and applied rudder/differential braking to counteract the increased drag of the burst wheel? :ok:

movadinkampa747
10th Nov 2006, 21:00
So what happens when the rudder becomes ineffective?

dakkg651
10th Nov 2006, 21:09
So what happens when the rudder becomes ineffective?

The RHAG will have stopped it by then.

movadinkampa747
10th Nov 2006, 21:23
I don't blame the Nav for leaving if the pilot messed it up.

Pontius Navigator
10th Nov 2006, 21:27
When they opened the Gateway Arch in St Louis

part of the celebration was to have a skydiving demonstration, probably to fly through it. Well for some reason he landed on the top of it which was ok until a gust of wind took the canopy and blew him off into what became a fatal fall. Unfortunately his family was in the crowd watching.
:(

This is reported in the Darwin Awards site as well. Seems that experienced jumpers would not have jumped in that wind.

Pontius Navigator
10th Nov 2006, 21:31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLuF1BK4GtA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLuF1BK4GtA&mode=related&search=)

I recall on a 'proon' thread at the time somebody remarking that had the display been over land the driver would have wound up in the middle of a burning pile of scrap metal. (As it was I believe he suffered a broken ankle :uhoh:)

And, by the look of the video damn near finished up back in the cockpit.

the Chinook at Abingdon losing a rear U/C leg whilst reverse hover-taxiing a few years ago.

There was also the Merlin display, 05 probably, reported here on Pprune, where he dug the nose wheel in the mud good and proper then did it again before taking off and raising the undercarriage. Sinking in the mud is unfortunate. Raising the undercarriage afterwards is surely questionable.

Background Noise
10th Nov 2006, 21:54
To set the Bournemouth record straight - The pilot didn't 'mess it up'. The ac was one of 2 F4s departing and left the runway during takeoff - no 'first landing', no burst tyre. The pilot continued the takeoff and eventually landed at Lyneham.
Soz bunta about the timing;)

movadinkampa747
10th Nov 2006, 22:04
Why did it leave the runway in the first place?

Always_broken_in_wilts
10th Nov 2006, 22:11
Probably given a very early bum steer by the directional consultant...............or maybe he utilised the command eject thing to get rid of the smell of wee...........we will probably never know:p

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

vintage ATCO
10th Nov 2006, 22:12
Clophill (Bedfordshire) village fete and airshow

Ahhhhh, the Clophill village fete, dog show and air display . . . . From the early 90s I use to be on site with a bit of RT just to keep an eye on things. I've worked a B52 from the village roof on UHF . . .

Summer 1967, Vauxhall Sports Day 1nm west of Luton's runway 08 threshold. Dragon Rapide holding for a para drop. Bristol Britannia on final for rwy 08.

Controller: "G-xx, do not drop, do not drop, I say again, do not dr . . Oh dear, I see you have"

Controller to Britannia: "parachutists dropping 1nm on final approach"

Britannia pilot, starting to weave: "It's OK, I was at Arnhem"

:)

The Rocket
10th Nov 2006, 22:14
Just a guess Mova,

But I'd suggest that the airflow over the wing had reached a speed where it was producing a low pressure on the upper surface and a corresponding high pressure on the lower surface. Couple that with a positive angle of attack, and I'd guess that Physics would do the rest.

And your next stupid question.................

movadinkampa747
10th Nov 2006, 22:17
Well I don't suppose the Navigator who was seriouslty injured during the ejection thought it was funny.

The Rocket
10th Nov 2006, 22:21
Well perhaps banging out was not the wisest choice he could have made then.

Is there not something else you could be doing, rather than Trolling, Movadinkampa747? :rolleyes:

Solid Rust Twotter
11th Nov 2006, 04:34
Knocked over an occupied portaloo as well as treading and skidding through bovine and elephant dung on various military and civvy parachute demo jumps. Also had a low level malfunction where they sent the ambulance to pick up the corpse. The canopy inflated behind a line of trees and one had a ten second canopy ride before impact. Met the ambulance as I was strolling back and was asked where the body was. Thought one of the other guys had bounced and spent a few minutes wandering around the area with the ambulancemen looking for myself before it dawned on me what they were after.

The worst was doing a jump in high winds with a four man team and being the only person to make it into the target area, although one did so at speed as one's parachute repacked itself in a rotor 60' off the ground. The sudden arrival interrupted the commentator and caused one to be dragged off to the local hospital with a broken back, thankfully now held together with titanium and damned near bulletproof.

One was young and adventurous in them days...:hmm:

Wholigan
11th Nov 2006, 04:56
It's difficult to work out if he's a troll, someone who thinks he's clever and funny, or merely an imbecilic, bereft buffoon.

PPRuNe Pop
11th Nov 2006, 05:54
Well now he has a day or two to find out for himself! :rolleyes:

Wiley
11th Nov 2006, 06:45
Two Antipodean ones, both from a long time ago.

First, RAAF Williamtown, sometime in the late 50’s…

(… and this one must have grown in the telling. Milt, are you out there to give us the original, ‘ungrown’ version?)

The Avon Sabre was very much the shiny new pride and joy of Knucksville at the time. Someone gets the bright idea that they can do a live air to air gunnery display at the airshow, (technically do-able because Saltash Gunnery Range and the blue Pacific Oggin are both virtually on the station boundary), and… to add to the drama, that same someone suggests that to really thrill the crowd, they pipe the terse, clipped, no-nonsense radio chatter of the wide of shoulder, tight of hip, steely-eyed air warriors over the airshow PA.

The organizers acknowledge that most of the crowd won’t understand three words in four of the jargon-filled radio chatter, but hey, that’s almost the point of the whole exercise, isn’t it?

With much heavy breathing and loud clicks and squelches over the airshow PA as they check in and change channels, a four ship Sabre formation makes its way to the threshold and gets airborne.

Following them is a single Sabre, which will tow the target drogue. Much more heavy breathing over the PA as he gets airborne, dragging the brightly painted drogue many hundreds of metres behind him. He circles, flies a low-ish pass northbound parallel to the coast and towards the range boundary as Maple Hipshot Section is “cleared in live”… and all this very loud over the airshow PA.

From the south east, and more or less behind the crowd’s heads, the first Sabre approaches to make its gunnery pass, fires a short burst from its 30mm Aden guns.. which neatly cuts the drogue wire… approximately three feet behind the tail of the tow aircraft. The last call before the PA clicks into a very deep silence, and clearly understood by everyone in the crowd, (and no one is sure to this day if it was made by the target towing pilot or by Maple Hipshot One), is the rather non standard call of “Holy snaffling duck****!”

End of air to air gunnery display at airshow, that day and forever more.

Second, 1972. RAAF Fairbairn (Canberra). Not nearly as exciting, but it certainly got the crowd’s attention. Very hot day in the middle of yet another protracted Australian drought. Eight ship Huey formation brings in a bunch of grunts who, with much firing of many blank cartridges, conduct a ‘hot insert’ combat assault (or ‘comic insult’, as they were universally known), onto the field. At least one Huey has smoke flares wired to its skids, which are activated as the choppers start the approach, giving a very satisfactory ‘Apocalypse Now’ effect years before the film was released.

Hueys land on, as guns blazing, troops de-plane onto very dry and rather long grass right in front of large crowd, Hueys exit stage left, but not before very hot smoke flare canisters on skids set fire to the long grass. Discretion fast becoming the better part of valour, troops discontinue attack and get the *** away from what is fast becoming a fully fledged bush fire. Apart from large crowd, on grass is also parked a goodly array of the RAAF’s very expensive front line inventory of aircraft and equipment – and all downwind from fire.

Airshow pauses not particularly briefly while Base Fire Section and many suddenly pressed volunteers spray, stomp and beat fire into submission.

Ahhhh,, the good old days….

Igloowhite
11th Nov 2006, 11:10
At the infamous RIAT I was hosting a lunch table in the chalet of a "leading US defence contractor". The guests of honour were the US Brig. Gen. who commanded the KC-135s supporting operations in the Balkans and the Russian Admiral who's Bear D (if I recall correctly) was in static. (I think it was the first time the Sovs had been to RIAT?).

The lunch was very uncomfortable, largely because the US General's young MA insisted on making loud derogatory comments about the Admiral - all of which were translated to the taciturn matelow by his charming MA. I spent most the lunch trying to distract the Admiral from obnoxious yank - with little success. He was getting increasingly irritated and I would love to know what he was actually saying as he muttered comments to his MA.

I managed to talk to the US tanker bod and he invited me, after lunch, to take a look at his '135. When it was finally polite to break up the lunch we pottered along the static line and climbed the ladder into the jet. Once inside I could see that this was where the real party was. The whole of the rear cabin had been decked with astroturf and a spare engine in a case had also been covered in AT and turned into a bar. A good time was being had by all and we quickly availed ourselves of a couple of rocket fuel margheritas.

We took our seats on the flight deck - me in the left, he in the right and he showed me the recent upgrades, including GPS. The two MIGs swept passed and, as they say, the rest is history. We both let out the same expletive at the same moment and, after a couple of seconds I said "I see one", he said "I see the other". We sat stunned as the wreckage littered down wondering how many on the ground might be underneath it.

Suddenly it wasn't a party any more and he said, "I'd better go back and pay my respects to the Admiral". We walked back to the chalet amid thousands of bewildered spectators and the ever increasing sound of sirens. We we got back to the chalet and sought-out the Admiral who was, by this time, somewhat dishevelled and more than a little "left-handed and dyslexic". The American expressed his sympathies and hoped the crew were alright. The Admiral shrugged, grunted "Air Force" and went back to his Scotch.

lsh
11th Nov 2006, 12:19
The RHAG happens!!

Gainesy
11th Nov 2006, 12:46
Finningley BoB show early 1960s, a Dutch Navy Bregeut Atlantic display culminates with the Cloggie commentator saying something like: "Now, in return for the RAF's airdrops of food to Holland in 1945, we give you something back. Chocolate!!".
Atlantic runs in just off display line, opens weapons bay and hundreds of balloons with sweets in them fall out. Thousands of kids leap over barriers and chase balloons over the runway. All Service folk in uniform dispatched to round up kids. Display stopped for 20min and rest of afternoon punctuated by tannoy calls trying to re-unite kids with parents. Priceless.

I think the Atlantic crew legged it home and left the commentator to face the Staish.

Two's in
11th Nov 2006, 14:14
3 Regt AAC were on a major FTX on Germany around 1987-88 and had been selected for a visit by about 200 Warsaw Pact bods from the Arms Proliferation Team. Coachloads of Russians, Poles Czechs etc, with their NATO minders tip up at a big Farm, where they have laid on a Refueling and Rearming (FARP) demo involving a pair of Lynx. Ops call "go" on the radio, and the two aircraft, which are cunningly concealed over the ridgeline (and being Lynx, can therefore only be heard as far way as Belgium) come roaring over the hill and down the slope towards the FARP.

Now the key words there were "down the slope", which however gentle, was still a slope. The lead aircraft, which was being flown by the RN Exchange pilot, was doing a fair lick over the sugar beet field towards the Fuel Bowser and the rearming crews, all laid out with TOW rounds, when Jolly Jack Tar proves beyond all doubt that the Navy have bigger flares then everybody else. Forgetting, or not realising, that the ground is rising behind him (maybe the ocean is flat where he comes from) the inevitable happens, the tail rotor hits the mud, shears the drives shaft, and at that point Isaac Newton proves he is still a force to be reckoned with, especially that whole "for every action there is an opposite and equal' thing, and the Lynx starts to spin around over the top of the ground crew with missiles and hoses.

The Main Rotor actually sliced the through the bowser hose, which was lying on the ground, before the quick reactions from a young and impressionable AAC Lt in the other seat had the both ECLs chopped and the Lynx on the ground in a heartbeat. The refuelling SNCO cut the Bowser feed and stopped the fuel going everywhere very swiftly and the guys laid out on the ground started to check themseleves for mssing bits as the silence descended.

At about this point everyone looked across to see 200 Warsaw Pact visitors open mouthed with amazement at this very frank and open demonstration of British Military prowess in front of the(then) arch enemy! You've never seen so many lackeys work so fast to get 200 people back on the buses and out of there.

Very lucky no groundcrew were killed and it was a classic case of showing off in front of an audience, with unfortunate but not fatal consquences. Thank God the Russians gave up shortly afterwards, they knew they had nothing to fear from us, other than some tenderness caused by side-splitting.

ShyTorque
11th Nov 2006, 14:17
Igloowhite

I remember that accident very well indeed! I took a "static display" Puma along. My crewman and I had by coincidence just arrived at the aircraft from opposite directions and the groundcrew had just finished carrying out a daily check, although the cowlings were still open as he was showing a mate of his around the aircraft. All the blade ties and engine blanks etc were fitted.

Having quite recently come back from a fixed wing tour involving quite a bit of formation flying, I was following the progress of the two Migs closely. I realised that the pilot reponsible for separation had lost sight of the other aircraft in the "joining" loop, due to a wisp of cloud between them. I probably realised that he was going to collide before he did. When the collision came, it was if it was in slow motion.

One blazing aircraft fell into the live aircraft park, the other outside the airfield. Knowing there was a village and a caravan park near there, we thought it was another "Ramstein situation". I said to the effect that we would immediately ready the aircraft. The G/C shut the cowlings as myself and the crewnman took off the blade ties etc. I jumped in the seat, switched on the battery as I strapped myself in. As I did the pre-start checks the G/C coporal poked the completed F700 in through the window, which I signed. The crewman appeared and showed me the tail rotor locks to prove they were off (no point us adding to the chaos!) and I started the aircraft. We were ready almost immediately and I called ATC to inform them who we were, where we were and that we were ready to lift to assist if required.

The answer was "Yes please - lift immediately, cross the runway and land by the hangar with the B-52 mural on the wall!"

We lifted vertically from the static park, scattering the wailing crowd. We landed on and it only dawned on us a while afterwards that we had beaten the official SAR aircraft, which had been parked a couple of hundred yards away from us, by quite some time. (The Puma was much quicker to start and get airborne than the old Wessex, particularly if you didn't wait for the gyros to come up to speed and were prepared to take off without the autopilot/stabs engaged).

After a short while we were requested to take one of the Russian pilots to hospital. As the situation unfolded, to everyone's relief there were no ground casualties. The pilot hadn't been brought to us so we advised ATC that it would be better for the SAR aircraft to take the pilot. We shut down and went for a walk around the fallen debris in the aircraft park instead and listened to some amazing stories about people's close shaves!

BEagle
11th Nov 2006, 15:22
Wildenrath 1975 airshow.....

It has been arranged that the usual "Will the owner of car registration ....... please move it as it is causing an obstruction" spoof is put out on the tannoy system. Eventually a Wessex appears with a mocked up German police VW dangling underneath; this is then dropped in front of the crowd as 2 lads dressed in German police uniforms set off shouting and waving.

2 errors though. The Wessex crew misread the order and the VW is dropped from 2000 ft, not 200. It flutters down and demolishes itself in a very spectacular manner! The coffee jar in the back with a primed smoke grenade breaks, allowing the grenade to go off as advertised, but then the smoke turns from white to dense black as half of the wooded target area begins to crackle merrily. Cue Captain Flack and the Trumpton team in their fire wagons who give an extra dimension to the display!

But even better was the AAC Beaver. This mighty warrior, during the practice, released its massive airdrop (a couple of water filled jerricans on coloured parachutes) with remarkable accuracy - one of which smites the passenger side of the gucciest ATC Landrover's cab, somewhat totalling it. Never mind, the good old Army sorted things out ("Leave it to me, Sir...") and a 'ringer' is soon produced from the 'war stock' with all the ATC bits and bobs back in place - even the same registration, I was told. Just a twin fuel tank changeover switch to give the game away!

Wensleydale
11th Nov 2006, 15:23
Far too many years ago I heard of the Vulcan display crew authorised for a fly-by at a small display. There had been a few cancellations at the display and so the vulcan was asked to do a couple of circuits to fill in for about 10 minutes. In sympathy the captain gave the crowd his full display provided that nobody told his base about it.

He would have got away with it had the trophy for best display not been forwarded to him via the Stn Cdr at Waddington!!

BEagle
11th Nov 2006, 16:09
Somewhere in Italy, wasn't it? About 1976-79??

Pontius Navigator
11th Nov 2006, 16:29
Oldenburg, Commemoration Day and Station Open Day about 1980.

B***** cold and we had our Shacklebomber parked right in the middle of the static display and a veritable host of people entering via the main door and exiting down a ladder out of the forward parachute exit.

Shame about the cold but even so there were some amazing sights.

Anyway, about mid-afternoon there was a strange sound from one of the engines and an odd smell. One of the crowd had managed to fire an engine fire bottle.

Now the rules required the engine to be run within, IIRC, 90 minutes otherwise it would become corroded and seriously sick. We asked for permission for an engine run (no fire bottle of course) and in the middle of the static area with no barriers. NIEN. So we immediately started calculating delay times for an engine change and extra DMs.

Shame. They flew in a spare bottle Monday and gave us a red line permit for a direct transit home - at least it spared us at least 6 hours ear battering. Mind you with my headache I would not have noticed.:}

Krystal n chips
11th Nov 2006, 17:41
On the subject of para dropping. Passing through MAN when they held a commerative drop from 3 / 4 Alberts and the Parachute Regt's finest. The female element of our party getting decidely moist at the prospect of seeing so many hunks in one place--the male element, being 100% ex Mil, taking bets as to what would go wrong and when.

Albert duly drops the guys and most manage to land on the airfield--however---one decided he wants to have a look at Knutsford and heads off in that direction--but the real star was the one who made a dead heading for the roof of the Fire Station-and plonked himself right on top !. It has to be said that (a) there was lots of sympathy from the females and (b) the bets as to whether he would hit the hangars went into double figures pdq !. No injuries btw.

Alberts departure from MAN was " interesting and entertaining" :ok:

lsh
11th Nov 2006, 17:59
Hey, Shytorque!
You left me behind that day, I'll explain:
I was crewman on the static Wessex and was pilotless (potless!) as he had gone away for the weekend.
It looked as if one of the Mig's had gone into the village so I grabbed my helmet and ran over as I heard you start, you lifted as I got about 30m away!
Then I ran to the Chinook, but they were crewed (using a crewman from the Sea-King!).
Then ran back to the Wessex, reconnected the batteries (static-proofing!),
removed blanks/covers etc etc. "Jevens" (I think it was him) came over from the static Gazelle and we decided to get airborne with him flying (ex-Wessex) and me reading the FRC's!
Thus yours was the only properly constituted crew, apart from the SAR-boys of course!!
The TV room that night was packed!
One of the Bucanneer navs was very complimentary about the fact that helo's were lifting from the static park and the jets could only stand and watch, he came through the OCU later.
There were some good stories from the Herc/Blenheim crews about near misses too.
Some Weekend!
lsh

ShyTorque
11th Nov 2006, 18:57
lsh, Indeed, a good weekend, sorry to have left you behind that time!

However, on my return to base I was called to explain to the Staish why my Puma, not on SAR standby, appeared on the 9 o'clock news, apparently in that capacity. I was asked what on earth I thought I was doing...... Words failed me, really.

A good story came afterwards. A certain ex-RAF female air trafficker, now with the AAC, trying to be friendly, naively asked a pilot in a blue flying suit at her hotel, if he'd had a good day. After drawing hard on his cigarette, he forced a smile through thin lips and said slowly, in a heavy Russian accent: "Not Ecksackly.....!"

He was now without his Mig!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/shytorque/jet-airplanes-collisions-images.jpg

There was a great set of pics, taken with a motor drive, of the vertically falling and nose-less Mig, just before it took the tailplane off a Belgian C-130. In one of the pics, there were three aircrew standing on the fuselage, below the fireball. In the next pic there were only two, then one, then none, as they all jumped off! One of them, a female crewmember, was later rescued as she was hanging off the HF aerial cable on the side of the Herc!

I spoke to a shaken RAF engineering officer as we surveyed the debris in the aircraft park. He told me what a narrow escape he'd just had. Watching the crash from below, he'd been chased along the concrete by the complete canopy of the first Mig. He jumped high in the air just before it hit him. It shot underneath him and embedded itself up the jetpipe of a Patrouille de France Alpha jet (Vive la France!).

gravity victim
12th Nov 2006, 20:32
A very lucky display parachutist was the guy who drifted into a parking area as a P51 Mustang (ignoring the 'no turning props while parachuting in progress' rule) was warming up. His canopy caught in the blades and he was rapidly 'wound in' by the suspension lines, as onlookers frantically signalled the pilot to cut. The very last compression 'donked' him gently on the helmet, resulting in nothing worse than a headache....

Halcyon Days
12th Nov 2006, 21:33
On the subject of para dropping. Passing through MAN when they held a commerative drop from 3 / 4 Alberts and the Parachute Regt's finest. The female element of our party getting decidely moist at the prospect of seeing so many hunks in one place--the male element, being 100% ex Mil, taking bets as to what would go wrong and when.
Albert duly drops the guys and most manage to land on the airfield--however---one decided he wants to have a look at Knutsford and heads off in that direction--but the real star was the one who made a dead heading for the roof of the Fire Station-and plonked himself right on top !. It has to be said that (a) there was lots of sympathy from the females and (b) the bets as to whether he would hit the hangars went into double figures pdq !. No injuries btw.
Alberts departure from MAN was " interesting and entertaining" :ok:

You mean this occasion!! I was there and took these photos.There were in fact two of them that hit the fire station.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/Maybee123/ParadropMAN2.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/Maybee123/Ooops-1.jpg

El Grifo
12th Nov 2006, 22:44
Thats the one alright RUCAWO. Totally forgot about the parked KC's

Thanx for the memory jolt :ok:

El g.

GasFitter
13th Nov 2006, 08:57
..... But even better was the AAC Beaver.
Are we allowed to mention "C*ck Ups" and "AAC Beavers" in the same thread without getting censured?:O

diginagain
13th Nov 2006, 10:52
I once marshalled a US Navy SH3 over a row of newly installed and plumbed portaloos at an airshow. In my defence I'd had words with the SNCO i/c bogs and advised him of the late arrival of said helicopter, but he outranked me.

It was rather amusing to see a row of loos on their backs, even more so when one trap door opened and the chappie i/c climbed out covered in something unmentionable.

NickB
13th Nov 2006, 12:22
To set the Bournemouth record straight - The pilot didn't 'mess it up'. The ac was one of 2 F4s departing and left the runway during takeoff - no 'first landing', no burst tyre. The pilot continued the takeoff and eventually landed at Lyneham.
Soz bunta about the timing;)

Was this the Phantom that was piloted by S/L Simon Lloyd-Morrison? One of the best F4 DP's I ever saw...

orionsbelt
13th Nov 2006, 17:05
F15s at RIAT Greenham Common 1977.

Saturday display, F15 on landing keeps nose up for aerodynamic braking but Tail scrapes it all along the runway with loads of sparks very impressive.

Sunday display, Takes off full chat straight into a high half Cuban comes back along the display line low and very very fast but with the wheels still down.
You can almost hear ATC telling him. Very subdued throttle back and climb to downwind and landing followed by the services.

Skeleton
13th Nov 2006, 18:27
Strathallan 79ish......

Sea King lands on then lifts off in the twinkle of an eye.

Puts gear down and tries again :)

stiknruda
13th Nov 2006, 19:05
Two that readily spring to mind!

Scene - small rural up country African airport, mid nineties after years of civil war. They have just finished their first, in recent memory airshow, acts from neighbouring countries there to help celebrate the peace settlement, decommissioned warbirds, crazy flying and some biplane aerobatics. Populace from miles around walk to airshow.

Local traffic held whilst the small show takes place (Nottamed but almost impossible to access unless you were in the Capital).

First aircraft out is a DC4, laden with food-aid for the hinterland - accelerates down the runway, a chap taking the familiar short cut home steps onto the runway and gets eaten by P&W#4. Time is money and the '4 lumbers off to make its delivery.

Second aircraft out is a C206. Our hero, a national has been so transfixed by rolling and spinning aircraft, now realises that he is a sky-God. Take off, nose up, haul her round onto downwind, level at 600'agl and attempts his first ever barrel-roll. The first part of the roll happens - as it gets to knife-edge it is so apparent to some observers that he's not going to get all the way round. Aircraft descends inverted, down 45 and takes out a mud hut killing all 5 in the hut AND all four on-board. Nice chap, liked him but WTF was he thinking when he decided to "join-in".

--------------------------------------------------------

Africa's busiest airfield.

The 1994 Annual Airshow at Johannesburg's Lanseria.

Silver Falcon SAAF display team showing off their Saai Machetti jets. Lead solo popped into a loop and suddenly a wing fell off. Pilot ejects and follows stricken aircraft to the same grid reference. So sad.

XV277
13th Nov 2006, 22:30
I believe the immediate first 'on ground meeting' of the pilots involved in the 2 x Mig 29's incident at RIAT was a tad entertaining....:E

That would be the mysterious disappearing broken jaw mentioned in the first casualty reports and then never after........:cool:

XV277
13th Nov 2006, 22:45
Igloowhite
IWe lifted vertically from the static park, scattering the wailing crowd.

That would have been me then - I was standing leaning on the crowd side of the barrier just runway side of your Puma when you took off.

Solid Rust Twotter
14th Nov 2006, 06:11
Possibly apocryphal...

During the bush war an exuberant Zambian pilot in a mil jet flew a few aerobatics over Livingstone, completed the excercise and set up on final to land, where his brothers then promptly shot him down. Appears they weren't convinced he was local as the flying exceeded anything they'd ever seen.:} :rolleyes:

its the bish
14th Nov 2006, 10:31
Re the incident with the 2 x F4s it was as i recall 1984, earlier a light aircraft was towing a banner advertising the airshow, this was dropped on the runway and rolled up on the grass just off of the active r.way. Shortly after a C130 took off and it would appear that the prop wash blew said banner on to the r.way,the next departure was the pair of F4s one of which snagged on the banner,causing a braking effect on the port side u/c of one of the F4s & it took to the grass. just as he managed to get the thing airborne the back seater banged out, sustaining the usual ejection injuries,thankfully not serious. It was later put out on the public address system that the aircraft had made a safe landing at Lyneham,after a somewhat draughty trip! Alas i was changing the film in my camera at the time, but someone somewhere must have some pics.

lightningmate
14th Nov 2006, 12:16
Let's put this F4 discussion to bed. The aircraft actually left the runway due to a nose-wheel steering malfunction. Essentially. the NWS system delivered an uncommanded hard-left and the F4 did the same, this manoeuvre was dramatically presented by a video taken by a bystander. The aircraft did eventually land at Lyneham, slightly bent.

lm

GasFitter
14th Nov 2006, 14:37
Let's put this F4 discussion to bed. The aircraft actually left the runway due to a nose-wheel steering malfunction .... The aircraft did eventually land at Lyneham, slightly bent.
lm
That's a long way to go before stopping!:)

ShyTorque
14th Nov 2006, 21:34
That would have been me then - I was standing leaning on the crowd side of the barrier just runway side of your Puma when you took off.

Was it you wailing in a Scotttish accent? Small world, isn't it.. :)

Just found the old logbook - 24th July, 1993, XW200. Didn't seem as long ago as 13 years!

El Grifo
14th Nov 2006, 22:42
I can confirm that I was on the leeward side and swear I heard something along the lines of " Jings crivens help ma boab, that muckle heelicopter has jist blawn ma kilt that high that ma huge cromak can be seen by all and sundry"

Or words to that effect :}

sharmine
15th Nov 2006, 10:59
I was there and from what I remember the tomb was rolling for take off when the left tire burst. The aircraft left the runway to the left and being in reheat set fire to the grass. The back seater ejected and the pilot elected to get airborne because he was heading at max ground speed for a fully laden Victor tanker parked on the disused cross runway. Had he not got airborne the outcome would have been very different. He did divert to Lynham and carried out a safe arrester gear landing. Hence he did not leave that runway as well.

This was not a c!?k up so much as a very well handled emergency situation and the pilot desrves:D

In the 91 Hurn Display a canberra also burst a tyre and went left off the runway but he was landing and made it safely to a full stop without further damage. This also came not long after a twin engined aircraft giving public rides had its landing gear collapse on roll out. Quite a day.

BJ

wz662
15th Nov 2006, 11:32
As a young lad I remember the Red Arrows landing at the Woodford display and one of the gnats blows a tyre and blocks the active.
Support Herc lands, ramp comes down and ground crew emerge. After a group huddle as many backs as possible are aplied to the underside of the wing and the aircraft was walked clear of the runway to be fixed.

Blodwyn Pig
15th Nov 2006, 12:12
in line with the recent posts on burst tyres at airshows, there are some interesting photos of a super hornet doing just that at a recent airshow, then executing a nice hanbrake turn, and parking it on the grass.

http://s102164210.onlinehome.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=103388&st=0

also video of the incident...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66K8WXQvb90

ulflarsson
15th Nov 2006, 12:31
The military air displays are commonly known for flying the envelope out so it´s not that strange that things goes wrong from time to time unfortunatly.
Here is another one anyway.

Check the link below for to see the C130 crash that got wrong while practising airdrops.

http://www.airviolence.com/download.php?view.79

pulse1
15th Nov 2006, 15:14
The military air displays are commonly known for flying the envelope out so it´s not that strange that things goes wrong from time to time unfortunatly.

This comment reminded me that I have probably been to about 20 airshows in my life and seen rather a lot of "cock-ups", including the Fairford Migs, the Hurn F4's and, a long time ago, a Havard spinning in at a BoB display at St Athans.

My last trip to Farnborough was in the late 60's when the French Atlantique crashed. A contributary factor to this crash was the robust crosswind on the day and there were two further incidents which helped to make me even more twitchy. One was the Herald which burst a tyre on landing, and an Aeromachi jet trainer which struck the ground with a tip tank. You could almost see the pilot whistling nonchalantly as he hoped that noone would notice the fuel streaming from the tank as he taxied off.

GPMG
15th Nov 2006, 15:26
Only seen one and it's put me off air displays for a while. I was in the crowd when the Firefly went in at Duxford. Terrible loss of 2 people and a wonderfull airframe.

Cock up or not, it was a pretty crappy day.

GasFitter
23rd Nov 2006, 17:10
Only seen one and it's put me off air displays for a while. I was in the crowd when the Firefly went in at Duxford. Terrible loss of 2 people and a wonderfull airframe.

Cock up or not, it was a pretty crappy day.

Couldn't agree more. I understand the media weren't very nice about how they went about getting their story either. But then again, what's new?

Mal Drop
24th Nov 2006, 09:20
I was at Fairford for the Mig + Mig incident, taking a break from getting lost in Albert by being a minder for the press. I was getting some 12 aviation photogs I was given the pleasure of escorting back into the minibus from a predictably tedious shoot on the live side of the airfield when the collision happened and debris started raining down all around. I just had time to observe on the radio to Media Ops that there had been a crash when a little voice screamed over my transmission "Incident, incident, you can't say crash, oh bugger...". The photogs could now all see a years earnings in a day and had fecked off in directions various so I went off after them on a sort of "One Man and His Dog" on performance enhancing chemicals exercise. On my travels I happened across an ex-Sqn mate who was on exchange flying the Belgique Herc, one of our old exchange Belgian Co-pilots and the next variant thereof. Having made a rapid descent from atop a v. shiny (and hence v.slippery) display paint job Albert roof-terrace they were understandably in a state of mild distress. One of the Belgian Co's asked if they could get a ride in my unsurprisingly empty minibus to somewhere quiet and generally untroubled by falling, flaming bits of fuselage. I was happy to oblige but also very re-assured to see him go back onto the now stricken Albert to recover a couple of cases of Belgian Trappist Beer (of about the same abv as a weak scotch). As fine a display of Belgian audacity in the face of adversity as I could ever have hoped for and a taster of the exploits of a man who became another contender for Lyneham’s craziest import.

RUCAWO
24th Nov 2006, 09:33
Ulster Airshow,Newtownards 1987 Ken Wallis had just taken off to display Little Nellie when the engine cut out,he put it down nicely on the grass but nosewheel caught in a hole.Autogyro does a couple of flips with bits flying everywhere.Silence,nothing moves apart from one ATC cadet running to the scene,Wg Cdr Wallis stands up,gives himself a shake,waves at the crowd then starts picking up bits of the shattered machine.Incredable man ,not a scratch on him.

rab-k
24th Nov 2006, 11:47
There was also the Merlin display, 05 probably, reported here on Pprune, where he dug the nose wheel in the mud good and proper then did it again before taking off and raising the undercarriage. Sinking in the mud is unfortunate. Raising the undercarriage afterwards is surely questionable.

Approx 2.5 mins into this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsJAXb_jA3Q

Jhieminga
24th Nov 2006, 14:57
There was a great set of pics, taken with a motor drive, of the vertically falling and nose-less Mig, just before it took the tailplane off a Belgian C-130. In one of the pics, there were three aircrew standing on the fuselage, below the fireball. In the next pic there were only two, then one, then none, as they all jumped off! One of them, a female crewmember, was later rescued as she was hanging off the HF aerial cable on the side of the Herc!
I know which photos you mean. I was shown them by one of the crewmembers a few weeks later and I can still remember the chills that the story and photos produced. In the chaos one of the crew dropped to the ground (left side of fuselage) and turned left, into the fireball! Within seconds he realised the mistake, pulled his flightsuit up to cover his head and turned around. No damage whatsoever, but it could have been a lot worse.

green granite
24th Nov 2006, 15:10
Pulse 1, I was also at that Farnborough show with my wife, she's never been to an air show since. Afterwards we went back to the company's depot in the town centre where we'd left the car and one of my colleges was sitting there shaking, He was waiting to turn into the RAE main entrance when the atlantique hit the area by the main gate, it took him a week to recover.

GasFitter
27th Nov 2006, 00:44
Approx 2.5 mins into this vid:
Should he have left the U/C down? That'll be a tour at the Inspectorate of Flight Safety for that pilot, then!:)

Lon More
27th Nov 2006, 01:44
The aeroclub at Sanicole in Belgium usually has an airshow each August.
In typical Belgian fashion very little respect is paid to such things as distance from runway to the crowd line, compounded by the fact that the distance from the runway edge to the main road/airfield boundary is only about 25 metres.
Visiting B52, several years ago, eventully found the field and made a low pass down the runway - the wing and the outer engine were actually over the crowd.
Later a Harrier did his piece, ending by curtseying to the crowd, unfortunately so close that he blew a tent selling frites over. As he departed the fire crew were busy extinguishing the remains.
Yes, it has gone tits up. Fortunately with only one fatality, when a Belgian Mirage pilot did his display in very marginal weather. He flamed out and ejected at about 500 feet, unfortunately inverted. The a/c crashed into some empty army barracks.
I now normally watch this from the car park on the other side of the road, keeping large numbers of belgians between me and potential accidents

West Coast
27th Nov 2006, 05:03
Staff officer replaced F18 demo pilot at MCAS El Toro airshow 92 or 93. The rest is history. Good video out there of a perfectly flown 7/8th loop.

forget
27th Nov 2006, 08:23
:eek:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/09.jpg

gareth herts
27th Nov 2006, 10:14

Blimey - looks interesting!

Where was that taken?

BOAC
27th Nov 2006, 11:00
If you zoom in on the pic I reckon you can see it was the 'Mad Major' of the Belgian AF (70's). You can see the glint in the eye:)

Lon More
27th Nov 2006, 12:18
Dunno who or where but must be near a railway station as lots of anoraks there

lsh
27th Nov 2006, 15:56
OK, its the summer of 93 (ish) and "Spotter" L****M takes me to the Helidays at W-S-M.
Overnight at Locking, 2 minute transit and a vertical onto the Seafront Lawns.
Very hot, sun hats on, well hosted.
Then the commentary starts:
"Welcome, packed programme etc, little Johnny has wet his pants and lost his Mum" etc etc! (To be fair that last bit was me!!)
"The highlight of this afternoons displays is the arrival of a U.S. Seahawk/Blackhawk who will abseil in a securing party before landing"
Blah Blah Blah......
"The Seahawk is on its way ladies and gents, it is flying in from Iceland, refuelling 3 times in the air and will cover 1100 miles"
(We are impressed, it would take the Wessex....!!?)
Blah Blah Blah...
"Here it is! Look to the right, it has flown from...etc etc"
THEN it all went very quiet as he missed WSM, went to the end of the bay,
became a very small speck indeed ,turned round, came back did his stuff and landed!
Well it amused us for a couple of hours anyway!
Cheers! lsh

BattlerBritain
27th Nov 2006, 16:13
Reminds me of Biggin Hill Air Fair, 1978-ish, as x4 Canadian F-104s did that approaching from behind the crowd.
Scared the living sh!*e out of everybody.
Bloody great though! :D

Cornerstone958
27th Nov 2006, 16:55
Hi Guys
Anyone remember the Red Arrow that hit a Boat Mast?:confused:

BOAC
27th Nov 2006, 17:01
I thought it was a boat mast that hit the Red Arrow?

Evileyes
27th Nov 2006, 19:14
All part of the training process. Next phase they upgrade to animate opponents.

BOAC
27th Nov 2006, 20:07
Luckily not yet!

Don't think you know the story!:)

ABX
28th Nov 2006, 05:29
Ish:

has wet his pants and lost his Mum" etc etc! (To be fair that last bit was me!!)

You lost your Mum AND wet your pants ... not a good day for you at all Ish.:}

Airshows Downunder, Avalon Airport, cira 1999 or so, Bob Hoover well into his Shrike handling display (both engines, one engine, zero engines to landing. Very good display), Bob has just shutdown the second engine when ATC line up two RNZAF Skyhawks on the runway ...

Hoover, "Tower, I'm lining up for landing no engines!"
ATC, "Roger that, Skyhawks expedite."

Skyhawks immediately roll, Hoover lands very close behind and into their jet blast. Heard around the bar after wards that ATC "got a bit of a tune up from Hoover over that one."

Great thread, keep 'em coming.

Cheers,

ABX

TownshipDog
28th Nov 2006, 06:49
Late 90's I recall, AFB Zwartkops, Pretoria, South Africa. It was an Airforce Museum airshow and the special forces boys were doing their 'capture an enemy airfield' routine. The C130 comes overhead and drops the Pathfinders who, aided by much blank ammo and many flashbangs, secure the strip for the Herc to land and disgorge the raiding party with their beachbuggys-on-steriods et al.

The snag was just after the Pathfinders left the Herc, it developed a problem and diverted to nearby (5min flying time) AFB Waterkloof for a precautionary.
Herc lands, comes to a stop and the guys in the back, not knowing they had diverted, scream out the back, guns blazing and shoot the c$%p out of the wrong airbase...:*

Needless to say the guys on guard duty needed to change their undies after that one :}

GasFitter
30th Nov 2006, 23:38
http://www.aeronautics.ru/img003/rafale-01.jpg
I thought the earlier 'Typhoon Bufoon' stunt was an eye opener, until I saw 'Pierre' doing this in his Rafale! I don't think it's an air show, but it's a routine of some sorts.
Tell me, any operators out there, would this have been more difficult over the sea with reduced level of ground references?
:O
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_ZBo8GRQr0

Brian Abraham
1st Dec 2006, 01:10
GasFitter - looks as though bouncing off ground effect was about all that saved him :eek:

Don't think you know the story!
BOAC - and?????????

BOAC
1st Dec 2006, 07:30
To precis the story, an 'accomplished' sailor in his boat saw the synchro pair displaying beteen the piers at their normal height and decided it would be a jolly good idea to sail onto the actual display line for a better view, whereupon he ran into a Hawk. I count that a Hawk-strike.:)

The synchro pilots do not expect mobile obstructions to arrive between passes.

BattlerBritain
1st Dec 2006, 09:57
I was in the Brighton branch of the 'Spacers' watching the display on Brighton sea-front when it happened.

I remember hearing a big bang as Steve Jones (I think that was his name?) decided to part company with his steed. I think they calculated afterwards that he'd struck the mast at 42' altitude and he was only slightly higher and at 135deg bank when he went out.

I think the seat had a gyro stabiliser 'coz it rotated him right-way-up after separation and he landed pretty soon after the 'chute opened.

A mate of mine had the quick-wits to run and grab a rowing boat and row out and get him.

The steed sailed over the Palace Pier upside-down with Gawd-knows how many people looking up and watching it go over.

It splashed down about 50' from the Pier.

All-in-all one display to remember.

The strange thing was Steve had actually been down on a special visit to Brighton Air Cadets only a few weeks before, so we'd actually met him before the display.

possel
1st Dec 2006, 12:02
I was in the Brighton branch of the 'Spacers' watching the display on Brighton sea-front when it happened.

I remember hearing a big bang as Steve Jones (I think that was his name?) decided to part company with his steed. I think they calculated afterwards that he'd struck the mast at 42' altitude and he was only slightly higher and at 135deg bank when he went out.

As I recall, their authorized minimum altitde was 35 ft!

clicker
2nd Dec 2006, 02:29
The steed sailed over the Palace Pier upside-down with Gawd-knows how many people looking up and watching it go over.

One of the Watchers was a WPC on crowd control duties who, on seeing the crash yelled over the radio something to the tune of "One of the aircraft has crashed, Oh he's ejaculated!"

Several comments in her retirement card a few years later reminded her of that shout.

Brian Abraham
2nd Dec 2006, 02:41
Can you imagine the insurance claim. Dear Sir, I hit a plane with me boat. Damage to boat 2,000 quid, DOD's insurer claims I caused 5 million quids worth 'o dent in their plane.

PPRuNe Pop
2nd Dec 2006, 07:24
His name is Steve Johnson, but you were close. The Reds were operating from Biggin and Steve returned there later the same day apparently none the worse for wear. Mind you, he may have had a bad head the following morning!

Pontius Navigator
2nd Dec 2006, 07:32
One of the Watchers was a WPC on crowd control duties who, on seeing the crash yelled over the radio something to the tune of "One of the aircraft has crashed, Oh he's ejaculated!"
Several comments in her retirement card a few years later reminded her of that shout.

Who knows, she may have been correct <g>.

mongoose123
2nd Dec 2006, 14:53
I used to work at the AFCO in Brighton in 2005, and one day this guy from the RAFA club came in and said he had half of the wing from that ac in his attic! Turns out it was washed up on the beach about 2 years after the crash and some helpful member of the public thought the best place for it was the RAFA club!
He wanted to cut it up and sell it on E Bay to raise money for the club. Made a couple of phone calls to the Reds publicity people who advised against it but said they would send the club loads of stuff for them to raffle!

Human Factor
2nd Dec 2006, 15:12
His name is Steve Johnson, but you were close. The Reds were operating from Biggin and Steve returned there later the same day apparently none the worse for wear. Mind you, he may have had a bad head the following morning!

... and a very pleasant chap he is to. Retired from BA a couple of years ago. He told me his first thought as he heard the bang was that he'd hit his mate coming the other way. He was in a dinghy fairly shortly afterwards! :eek:

stevfire2
2nd Dec 2006, 21:05
we decorated his pitts with a yacht sillouette kill marking and wondered why it wasnt on for long!:)

JagRigger
3rd Dec 2006, 08:50
The first RAF Hawk loss............

Gainesy
3rd Dec 2006, 12:33
an unauthorised fly by the next day

Yeah, with eight mates tagging along in case she had eight friends.:rolleyes:

robbi
3rd Dec 2006, 13:09
Hello to all! Apologies If I'm 'bending' the thread a bit.
1. Mention was made earlier (Pulse1, pge5), of the crash at Farnborough of the French Atlantique maritime a/c. The resulting report pointed to the fact that the a/c was demonstrating single engine performance at the time and was executing a turn back towards the airfield when the accident occurred. There was a suggestion that he had turned into the dead engine? As a 'groundhog' - was that the big no no? Do you turn into or away from a dead engine - something I have always wondered since.

2. Contrib. More a 'by the grace of....' At many shows commercial traffic continues during breaks in the routines etc. I was at a RAF St Mawgan Show, some yrs ago, handling British Eagle 1-11 ops for the day. All went well 'till the last flight - full pax to BHX I think. The Show was over, evryone clearing up, display a/c departing etc.
1-11 takes off and climbs straight out to the South. An enormous 'Whoomph' as departing F-100 beats the field up and power climbs away -portside of 1-11's path and then - inexplicably - turns STB and across the nose of the 1-11. How close? I've seen one two things over the yrs; I turned away. A Nr Miss was duly recorded!
A great thread and forum BTW!

GasFitter
6th Dec 2006, 13:54
I heard I rumour that a Tornado F3 went to Biggin Hill and its nosewheel sunk into the tarmac overnight and had to be pulled out by a tractor the next day. Whilst not an airborne c*ck up, must certainly count as a c*ck up (if it's true). How do avoid such an embarrassment? :O :O :O :O

ABX
2nd Jan 2007, 13:04
Any more?

Has been a most amusing thread.:}

Wycombe
2nd Jan 2007, 13:14
Similar incident to that mentioned by GasFitter occured at RIAT a few years back.....German (I think) Tonka parked on non-load bearing shoulder sank in up to the drop tanks and a way had to found to lift it out before the public came in to see it next morning ......think a mobile crane was found and brought in from another station at v. short notice :ok:

SaddamsLoveChild
2nd Jan 2007, 13:15
Wasnt it 2 years ago that the 28 Sqn Merlin Display Team re-routed to a model aircraft flying club from Waddingtons show (Sat afternoon) and dug the nosewheel in during the display. I seem to remember it was one of the Sqn execs dads model flying club near WSM, no engineering support and they flew back to Waddington having dropped the said Exec back off at Oxfords SH Base.

The video did the rounds and prompted the HFOR:= ..............priceless.

Aynayda Pizaqvick
2nd Jan 2007, 13:54
Not amusing in any way, but about 10 or 12 years ago I had the unfortunate experience of watching a chipmunk high speed stall into the ground, killing the pilot. The guy got 95% around a loop and just ran out of height. Just goes to show how unforgiving aviation is - the only difference between this crash and the Typhoon and Rafale videos is about 20'.

petitfromage
2nd Jan 2007, 19:11
As we were surrounded by dozens of ice-cream lickers & anoraks we launched (helo) vertically in a positive fashion to loiter behind the crowd line and pre-position for our display slot.
As I started to pitched nose down to depart (approx 80 agl) my seat collapsed and slid fully to the rear.
Strapped in, I could not reach the any of the controls.

A few very un-Officer like comments had the crewman scurring forward to the cockpit as I unstrapped at the rush.
Although the crewmans agricultural but life saving pull on the other cyclic levelled us just below treetop level we found ourselves (by pure luck) in an area cleared for development.

I can still see the faces of a family, enjoying brunch, as we passed, uncontrolled & descending, only 20-30ft from their balcony.
Ironically we were showered with praise for our dynamic & punchy departure.

pontifex
2nd Jan 2007, 21:07
I was involved in air display flying for much of my flying career. Regrettably, the majority of the foul ups I saw resulted in fatalities. One of the reasons I gave it up was that I knew I was no better a pilot than they and concluded that, one day, it would be me. I thought wife and family had put up with enough for 40 years or so and it was time to be considerate.

I do, however, remember an air show (The Daily Express Air Rally I seem to recall) which was held at a little grass airfield just south of Redhill called Gatwick. The Yanks were doing a flypast in their magnificent B36 I think it was. It was HUGE, and it had to be as it was doing it at Redhill and was difficult to see! Plus ca change, plus ca meme chose. At this same show was an American lady called Betty Skelton doing some barnstorming type flying in a little biplane designed and made for her by her boy friend. His name was Pitts and the aircfaft was called "Little Stinker". It was developed into the Pitts Special I believe.

pulse1
2nd Jan 2007, 22:04
Ironically we were showered with praise for our dynamic & punchy departure.

This is rather like the spectacular fly past of the Saunders Roe Princess flying boat at Farnborough sometime in the 50's.

There is a famous photograph which I was unable to find of the Princess in an almost vertical bank.

According to Geoff Tyson, the test pilot, the roll was uncommanded and he came very close to crashing.

Bob Stinger
3rd Jan 2007, 04:05
Blackpool Prom 2004? ,display Hawk,Spitfire,Hunter etc , then the best ever a Harrier , now we know what they do best , they hover and it did right over the water spraying water, kids were coming out of the sea running up the beach , the harrier just got lower and closer , this it kept repeating untill it was absolutely ear splitting chest thumpingly close , it was then that i noticed the donkeys were on the rampage, harrier promplty bowed again and dissapeared up into the sky, i looked round on a scene of devastation , kids crying , donkeys still rampaging , people led on the beach waiting for ambulances having been involved in a donkey stampede, try telling that to your boss , err can't come in today I was walking along the beach and a plane appeared and i got run over by a herd of donkeys!!

treadigraph
3rd Jan 2007, 06:46
Pulse1, this is the one: I'll not leave it here for too long...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/treadigraph/prin.jpg

LowObservable
3rd Jan 2007, 15:46
I recall from either Wood or Gunston (probably the latter... Aeroplane Monthly in the 1970s?) that the Princess was in an airspeed and altitude regime where the servos (and artificial feel?) had almost locked solid. "Seconds away from the most spectacular crash in history" was the phrase I remember.

Captain Sand Dune
4th Jan 2007, 05:32
Battle of Britain flypast at Jandakot airport (Western Australia) around 1995 (I think) by 4 PC9’s.
4-ship flies overhead the airfield at the appointed time and lands. Crews are treated to a lovely breakfast in one of the hangars.
Low level aeros matey gets airborne about an hour later for his routine. The routine is quite a good one with a “dirty barrel” in the middle (a “dirty barrel” is a barrel roll flown with gear down).
However………out hero forgets to raise the gear after completion of the dirty barrel, and not only that continues with the rest of the routine!:eek:
Que one annoyed and embarrassed OC. CFI rushes to one of the PC9s and turns on the radio to advise our hero that he has managed to over speed and over stress (a lot!) the gear in front of several hundred people, most of whom have some sort of piloting qualification!:}
Our now slightly humbled hero limps back to Pearce (about a 20NM transit) at low speed with the gear down awaiting an airborne inspection!:rolleyes:

Funny coz it didn't happen to me:ok:

GasFitter
16th Jan 2007, 19:27
Wasnt it 2 years ago that the 28 Sqn Merlin Display Team re-routed to a model aircraft flying club from Waddingtons show (Sat afternoon) and dug the nosewheel in during the display. I seem to remember it was one of the Sqn execs dads model flying club near WSM, no engineering support and they flew back to Waddington having dropped the said Exec back off at Oxfords SH Base.
Isn't that the one on YouTube, where the pilot's name is mentioned at the beginning of the commentary?:O

harrogate
17th Jan 2007, 06:00
Coningsby Families Day 2006 - Provost pilot waves goodbye to the base of the seat next to him after failing to secure it properly.

Smashed the cockpit and some gubbins fell all the way to terra firma.

Display over.

electric.sheep
17th Jan 2007, 18:03
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaddamsLoveChild http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3047456#post3047456)

Isn't that the one on YouTube, where the pilot's name is mentioned at the beginning of the commentary?:O

When I went to look at the vid I got this warning from YouTube:

This video may contain content that is inappropriate for some users, as flagged by YouTube's user community.
To view this video, please verify you are 18 or older by logging in (http://www.youtube.com/login?next_url=/watch%3Fv%3DIsJAXb_jA3Q) or signing up (http://www.youtube.com/signup?next_url=/watch%3Fv%3DIsJAXb_jA3Q).

Whats so shocking about a helo display that I have to be over 18 to watch it?

wileydog3
18th Jan 2007, 00:15

Can't be honkin' that fast with slats and flaps extended...

stiknruda
18th Jan 2007, 06:59
Harrogate, it was the PSP that decided to descend through the canopy when the jet rolled inverted.

I saw it happen and said to my companion who wasn't looking, "Oh sh1t, two things have fallen from the JP!"

Later speaking to the crew who were about to fly the "cabriolet" home I realised that the first part had been the heavier PSP and the second large tracts of perspex.

Stik

harrogate
18th Jan 2007, 07:06
Harrogate, it was the PSP that decided to descend through the canopy when the jet rolled inverted.
I saw it happen and said to my companion who wasn't looking, "Oh sh1t, two things have fallen from the JP!"
Later speaking to the crew who were about to fly the "cabriolet" home I realised that the first part had been the heavier PSP and the second large tracts of perspex.
Stik

Ah, I saw it myself too, but relied on second-hand information as to what it actually was that fell to the ground. I was never really convinced it was the loose seat base anyway - looked too small.

Thanks for the info.

( A cock-up, nonetheless ).

exMudmover
18th Jan 2007, 08:48
wileydog 3

F104G speed limit with mid-flap 525 knots, or it was on the ones I flew. Is that fast enough for you?

Noah Zark.
18th Jan 2007, 21:06
..........or as I saw the black eye sported by one of the Russian pilots described as being the result of "a short informal debreifing between the two men......".

'Chuffer' Dandridge
20th Jan 2007, 13:26
Coningsby Families Day 2006 - Provost pilot waves goodbye to the base of the seat next to him after failing to secure it properly.

Apparently his first ever public display.....:eek:

"Now, I must remember to fix the seat securing apron next time"

camlobe
20th Jan 2007, 15:02
'quote'
"Coningsby Families Day 2006 - Provost pilot waves goodbye to the base of the seat next to him after failing to secure it properly.

Smashed the cockpit and some gubbins fell all the way to terra firma.

Display over."

Was this from the same crowd who did a wheels-up at Kemble in a Strikemaster or Jet Provost in 2006?

ehwatezedoing
21st Jan 2007, 03:22
Too bad I cannot post a picture I saw, taken during an airshow in the States.
A nice all green privately owned Mig 15 was scrapping its tailpipe on the grass. So nicelly that you could see durt getting airborne behind it:
"ohhh cute pic, gears up landing !?"
"errr no, bottom of a loop"
"..."
"Tower asked him too land immediatly afterward. But he was already gears down into the circuit, probably in crap's holding mode."

seekayess
26th Jan 2007, 12:37
This may not really get counted as a “Cock-up”, but it was a rather interesting situation. Once again, we go a while back – about the year 1974.

The Indian Air Force was busy preparing for the Republic Day fly-past. The leader of the SU-7 formation was in a trainer, with a relatively junior pilot (Merv) in the front seat, whose job it was to make sure that precise, split-second times were maintained over various check-points and turning points. That day, the senior pilot, instead of pressing the intercom button on the throttle to talk to Merv, by mistake, kept pressing the PTT button whilst asking for a speed check from him, thus transmitting to all the rest of us, who were not even involved in the fly-past practice, the terse question “Merv, speed?”:hmm:

For the rest of our flying days at that base, any time young Merv came on the air for his routine flying, sure as the sunrise tomorrow morning, someone, somewhere, would transmit the question: “Merv, speed?”:}

Photoplanet
28th Jan 2007, 21:55
I remember the Phantom that burst a tyre on landing after a display and veers toward runway edge. Nav instantly elects on a Martin Baker letdown (they were always pretty nervous types) whilst pilot plugs in reheat, gets airborne again, and calmly takes it round the circuit for an unaventful landing. Crowd cheers pilot. Crowd jeers Nav.
Well, if he'd already burst a tyre first time round, the second landing can't have been totally 'uneventful'??

NRU74
29th Jan 2007, 20:56
If this thread is back to the Bournmouth/Hurn ejection etc c 15 yrs ago - I learnt only recently, that the Nav, having ejected and having received compression fractures etc., the first person to get to him was a member of the public who [before the St John's Ambulance etc got there ] unfastened his helmet [would that have been the Mk 2A?] removed it and nicked it. No e bay in those days of course

ABX
1st Feb 2007, 15:32
Not a mil display, but no doubt its a cock up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHQ3ebZvyWw).

con-pilot
1st Feb 2007, 18:19
Not a mil display, but no doubt its a cock up.

The most astonishing thing about that video is that there are passengers in the helicopter.

SASless
1st Feb 2007, 19:35
At my home town annual airshow....Army Mohawk Pilot gets a mite carried away and pulls a few too many G....promptly passes out...comes to somewhere in the middle of a "Whoopsie Doodle" and nearly parked the aircraft next to the wind sock in front of the crowd. We all admired such a display of aerobatics to learn later while reading the Army Safety magazine telling of his exploits that day.

At the end of the same show...as the visiting aircraft are departing....US Navy S-2 Stoof is given departure clearnace to leave on Runway 15. Trying to put on a bit of a show...he cobs both engines and stands on the brakes. The two big radials were sounding "Great" as he dumped the brakes and began his takeoff roll.

Tower...on the Public Address system is heard saying "Navy 123....you see the Fairchild Factory?".....a noticeable delay is heard before the pilot responded...."Is that a reporting point?." To which the Tower said...."No...but it is the large red brick building at the end of Runway 18 which is no longer in use."

Another short lapse....then the big radials went to idle....screeching of tires heard....followed by "Tower....Navy 123 clearance to taxi back on 36 to 15."

ABX
1st Feb 2007, 23:14
Yeah con-pilot, agreed ...

The most astonishing thing about that video is that there are passengers in the helicopter.

I have no basis for saying this apart from the recklessness of his actions, but I would give good odds that there were a couple of pre show sherbets as well.

GasFitter
5th Mar 2007, 22:17
Naughty:=
.. but nice!:D

Lon More
5th Mar 2007, 22:54
Summer 1967, Vauxhall Sports Day 1nm west of Luton's runway 08 threshold. Dragon Rapide holding for a para drop. Bristol Britannia on final for rwy 08.

Controller: "G-xx, do not drop, do not drop, I say again, do not dr . . Oh dear, I see you have"

Controller to Britannia: "parachutists dropping 1nm on final approach"

Britannia pilot, starting to weave: "It's OK, I was at Arnhem"

Remember that well, was in GASSO circuit bashing at the time

ekoja
6th Mar 2007, 07:21
I have found this thread very entertaining. For my 2 bobs worth I was at Wellingtons newly opened International Airport when the Vulcan almost came to grief. (a subject covered here in a section on Vulcans.) Also at Ohakea Airforce Base when a Sunderland did a low pass, acually just a few inches too low, it flew along the runway in a shower of sparks before departing to Whenuapai for a no doubt interesting landing. Many years ago now I think it was the RNZAFs 21st Birthday airshow.

henry crun
6th Mar 2007, 09:15
ekoja: You have one event confused with another.

The Sunderland scraping the runway was also at the opening of Wellington airport, and it went back to Hobsonville (water), not Whenuapai.

ekoja
6th Mar 2007, 17:14
Thanks,:ok:
I am always confused,(I think it may be terminal):confused:
It was a long tiime ago

Brian Abraham
7th Mar 2007, 04:06
Interesting video of the Bell 206 display. My instructor on my my first turbine (Huey) conversion killed himself and two backseaters doing just that. Tore the skids off, lost control and the AC then went over a 300 foot cliff into the water.

Captain Sensible
7th Mar 2007, 19:24
Having done a season's display flying on the Herc, (all that strutting and posing around the Display Stands in our green growbags - lovely!), I can honestly agree with the old adage; "The better it looks on the outside, the worse it probably is on the inside!!!".

ABX
8th Jun 2007, 15:39
Capt. Sensible,

Wasn't Fat Albert was it? I like the 45 degree climb out!

Porrohman
28th Sep 2007, 14:09
I remember an incident at the Leuchars Air Show, possibly in 1992. The cloudbase was very low and the Vulcan's normal display of steep climbing turns had to be changed to a very flat display to keep below the cloudbase which was maybe 1500-2000 feet. IIRC there was a moderate cross-wind towards the crowd. The Vulcan did a low pass along the display line then a tight 270(ish) degree turn to the left to bring it back towards the crowd. As it crossed the airfield boundary, it tried to turn right to fly along the display line but either the crosswind component was too high or the turning point was misjudged - maybe both. As I was watching, I thought; there's no way they'll make that turn without stalling. Sure enough, the turn was abandoned and the Vulcan straightened up and flew over the crowd at a low but safe altitude and what sounded like full power. I was directly underneath and it was a sight and sound I'll never forget. :D

gareth herts
28th Sep 2007, 14:49
I remember an incident at the Leuchars Air Show, possibly in 1992. The cloudbase was very low and the Vulcan's normal display of steep climbing turns had to be changed to a very flat display to keep below the cloudbase which was maybe 1500-2000 feet. IIRC there was a moderate cross-wind towards the crowd. The Vulcan did a low pass along the display line then a tight 270(ish) degree turn to the left to bring it back towards the crowd. As it crossed the airfield boundary, it tried to turn right to fly along the display line but either the crosswind component was too high or the turning point was misjudged - maybe both. As I was watching, I thought; there's now way they'll make that turn without stalling. Sure enough, the turn was abandoned and the Vulcan straightened up and flew over the crowd at a low but safe altitude and what sounded like full power. I was directly underneath and it was a sight and sound I'll never forget.
I think we're all looking forward to seeing her display again in the not too distant - wonder if the displays will be the same as those seen before her retirement?
Great to see this thread bumped back up - one of my favourites along with the Robert Prest inspired "Hairy Flypasts" thread!
Cheers
Gareth

Airborne Aircrew
28th Sep 2007, 17:26
The biggest Air Show C*ck up I ever experienced, or ever will I'm sure, was perfectly executed by...

...wait for it....

Boots the Chemist... Wnakers!!!! :rolleyes:

RAF Waddington in the early 80 and II Sqn RAF Regt. had just finished the first conversion to CVRT, (crappy tanks), so, for reasons unknown to men of intelligence, every man and his dog wanted to see them. Myself and a dozen or more Rocks were sent down there for the week and, because we were part of the Air Show we got to walk around the hangers etc.

In flies the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight in all it's splendor and me and my mate, being cheeky bastiges, managed to wangle a look around. I had my little pocket camera with me and had my picture taken standing next to, on the wings of the Spitfire and Hurricane and climbing in the Lancaster and in the cockpits of all three aircraft... This was absolute magic...

Until I went to pick up the pictures...

Boots had lost the bloody film and, of course, the BoBMF had already gone and I never got the same opportunity again... :sad:

I hate Boots!!!!!

Lamenting Navigator
1st Oct 2007, 21:32
Lowestoft air show 2002. There I was glad-handing with the corporate purple and Flt Lt Cann bangs out of his Harrier infront of an admiring crowd of 100,000.

If anyone knows Tony Cann, hope he's well, it was a marvellous performance!

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Oct 2007, 22:04
Night jump from a DC3. Brilliant shots of aircraft and rest of stick lit up from below by strobes as I went out first, dark background and full moon in the distance.

No film in the camera.....:(

Torontoworker
2nd Oct 2007, 16:25
FYI:

Stunts
No fewer than eleven light aircraft have been successfully piloted beneath the arch, the first on 22 June (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_22) 1966 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966), when the arch had been completed for less than a year.[1] (http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:S0UmvT6Gp60J:www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/jeff/adhi2-13.htm+http://www.nps.gov/jeff/adhi%2520Folder/adhi2-13.htm&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us)
In 1980 Kenneth Swyers tried to parachute onto the span of the Gateway Arch, planning to jump back off to land on the ground below. Instead, he slid all the way down one leg to his death. The pilot, Richard Skurat, had his pilot certificate suspended for 90 days.[2] (http://www.nps.gov/jeff/adhi%20Folder/adhi2-13.htm)
In 1984, David Adcock of Houston, Texas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston%2C_Texas), began to scale the arch by means of suction cups (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suction_cup) on his hands and feet, but he was talked out of continuing after having climbed only 20 feet. The next day he successfully scaled the nearby 21-story Equitable Building in downtown St. Louis.
On 14 September (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_14) 1992 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992) it was rumored that John C. Vincent of New Orleans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans%2C_Louisiana) successfully scaled the outside of the Arch with suction cups during the night, and performed a BASE jump (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASE_jumping) from the top with a parachute (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachute) at 7 a.m. No evidence surfaced to support his claim, and it was speculated by Rangers at the Arch that Vincent was lowered from a helicopter onto the top of the Arch, from which he parachuted off. He spent three months in jail for the stunt.[3] (http://www.stuffmagazine.com/articles/index.aspx?id=288)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_National_Expansion_Memorial

AR1
2nd Oct 2007, 17:50
400th anniversary of the Canberra about Jan 1982/1 - Westward TV send Gus Honeybun to do an OB on the venerable 7 Sqn bird, which goes tits up, so they have to settle for a fast taxi..the venerable bird goes tits up again and runs off the taxi way and descends into the grass up to its belly.

Anyway thats how it was told to me..;)

XT661
2nd Oct 2007, 22:00
AR1,

Thanks for the memory jog!!
The TT18 only went off the end of the runway by about 20 or 30 yards on to the grass. It sank into the ground for 6 or 7 inches, as I recall, and after being towed back to the line and a change of brake units was flying a few days later.
The (experienced) pilot had a temporary mental glitch about EMBS which earned him b******ings from the Stn Cdr and the AOC and put a severe dent in his pride! :O
How do I know this?
I am the half-wit who took the Canberra on the half-hearted ploughing expedition and learned about flying and TV cameras from that!! :\

AR1
2nd Oct 2007, 22:44
XT661 - wonderful. - The old bird gave some great performances, this was one of them.. "went off the end of the runway by about 20 or 30 yards on to the grass. It sank into the ground for 6 or 7 inches"

About 100 yards and 6ft in from my view..

My memory wasn't too far off the mark. I 'think' I was posted out whilst it was still in the grass... I recall it lodged there during my Eval commute.

Factually it couldn't possibly have been Gus Honeybun doing the OB as he was westward and thinking about it, the franchise had gone to TSW in '81 and Kerry Swain was the presenter. (Short Skirts) I did at some point during '80 meet a rather less bulky and rather georgeous Fern Britton on the gate once when she was doing some stuff on 42. - Top drawer.

Beeayeate
2nd Oct 2007, 23:10
AR1
400th anniversary of the Canberra about Jan 1982/1
400th! The Canberra is venerable - but not that venerable. ;)

AR1
2nd Oct 2007, 23:13
Yeah but it was close..ish. It was in service and no less vintage that the vintage pair.

Lower Hangar
3rd Oct 2007, 06:57
Sometime in late 1960's, RNAS Lossiemouth Air day , an AEW3 does a low pass in front of the tower with 1 engine shutdown .....ostensibly to demonstrate flying on 1 engine while starting #2....but instead shuts down #1 ....and proceeds along the short runway, in front of the crowd., on its APS20 radome.....oops....I didn't see it but it was related to me on my return from deployment on Hermes -801......so it must have been 1968'ish. :):):)

Union Jack
3rd Oct 2007, 18:54
I didn't see it but ....

If you look at Post # 13 on this thread you'll see some more about what appears to be the same incident.

Jack

lc_aerobatics
3rd Oct 2007, 19:26
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCbwRzgJLhk

I was one of pole holders, really nice weekend.

621andy
3rd Oct 2007, 21:00
Just watched the merlin display vid....ooops:}

Mark B. used to be an instructor at Weston super Mud ATC gliding school(621)
When he was displaying the Chinook, he came and gave us a private display on his way back from a display at St. Athan.
We didn't need the radio really as we could hear him coming almost as soon as he was finished with his official display;)

He did his full show(over WSM, which was very much a Westlands town!) over the airfield, landed and climbed out grinning. He then took a few of the cadets up for a wazz round.
What amazed me at the time was his 'company' Mini Metro and pushbike strapped down in the back for the entire display:ok:

Bloody brilliant:}

'Chuffer' Dandridge
3rd Oct 2007, 22:17
Just seen that Will Curtis inverted limbo run at Fairford for the first time on video.

How close does that tail come to the runway as he disappears stage right?????? No wonder he has never performed the same stunt again...............:eek:

Airborne Aircrew
3rd Oct 2007, 22:19
No wonder he has never performed the same stunt again...

Awww... C'mon... Slip on a bone dome and it looks pretty easy... :eek:

lc_aerobatics
4th Oct 2007, 08:51
"How close does that tail come to the runway as he disappears stage right?????? No wonder he has never performed the same stunt again...............:eek:"

He actually has performed it again at Al Ain airshow few monts later.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0888225/M/ (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0888225/M/) bloke taking picture is .... wait for it.... ME :E
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0937416/M/ (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0937416/M/)

'Chuffer' Dandridge
4th Oct 2007, 09:43
He actually has performed it again at Al Ain airshow few monts later.

My apologies, I should have said ".....in the UK"

Max Shutterspeed
4th Oct 2007, 20:47
His name is Steve Johnson, but you were close. The Reds were operating from Biggin and Steve returned there later the same day apparently none the worse for wear. Mind you, he may have had a bad head the following morning!I didn't realise it was Steve Johnson who hit the yacht. I flew 20 minutes as a passenger out of Finningley with him when he was with the Toyota Team in a Pitts. Absolute top bloke and loved every second of it. I climbed out absolutely buzzing, couldn't believe the 20 minutes had passed.

Thanks, Steve.

GasFitter
19th Oct 2007, 01:01
Any good stories to report? Or was it a quiet one?

slimjock
26th Nov 2007, 09:36
Have posted yesterday a reply to this giving a overview of events as I was the pairs leader. Unfortunately I cannot find it posted anywhere! SLM

Gainesy
26th Nov 2007, 09:43
Jock, I think that when you are new here, the moderators vet your replies before they are published.

Or maybe you pressed the wrong button.:)

slimjock
26th Nov 2007, 09:47
Thanks for advice Gainesy

I may re-submit if there is any interest.

Background Noise
26th Nov 2007, 09:52
SLM - Hopefully the grumpy face is due to the lost post - or was I out of order? :(

I didn't realise it was Steve Johnson who hit the yacht. I flew 20 minutes as a passenger out of Finningley with him when he was with the Toyota Team in a Pitts. Absolute top bloke and loved every second of it. I climbed out absolutely buzzing, couldn't believe the 20 minutes had passed.
Thanks, Steve.

Wasn't that a different Steve Johnson?

Gainesy
26th Nov 2007, 10:10
I may re-submit if there is any interest.

There's always interest.:)

slimjock
26th Nov 2007, 12:08
No it was just about the post.

I have tried to send again but no result - I wonder if it is being blocked by the mediator.

slimjock
26th Nov 2007, 12:38
I try again.

The day after the Open Day I briefed the pair to return to Leuchars. ATC had asked us to do a flyby but as it was Sunday (noise) elected to do a pairs t/o rather than 2 singletons. (yes I know it would still be noisy....)

At around 100 kts my excellent nav (GH) called "He's going off". I turned to see the No 2 nav (PH) riding a flame-tube and the F4 roasting the grass.

It was heading for the Red Arrows' Hercules and the pilot (DH) elected to get airborne. There would have been carnage otherwise.

An airborne inspection revealed wires and debris trailing behind the aircraft. I - erroneously as it turned out - told him to jettison his apparently damaged drag 'chute assembly and we proceeded to Lyneham for a cable engagement. It was DH's first - he was a JP fresh out the OCU - and he did it just fine.

On landing I swapped GH for DH and we went off to Leuchars for a beer withthe Boss (CCC).

PH ( volunteered from 43 Sqn to crew the spare for a w/e away) ended up in hospital but with no lasting injuries. He has probably lived out on the perils of volunteering to fly with 111.

REASON Leuchars operated the ex-FAA F4K. After the winding down of FAA 892 Sqn their ac were transferred to the RAF. This mark had different Nose Gear and Nose Wheel Steering for carrier operation than the RAF F4M. A problem was Pilot Induced Oscillation (PIO) caused by the higher NWS gearing for pilots only used to the RAF F4M. This was never flagged up as a potential problem by either MoDPE (Boscombe Down); the RAF (228 OCU) or the FAA PTF. As a result several pilots fresh out the OCU (F4M) and indeed more experienced F4M drivers were caught out. The above was not the only 'off rw' incident.

I hope this clarifies the day. Others initialled abovemay have their comments to make.

proplover
26th Nov 2007, 16:56
2001 (?) Harrier Display lands at sleepy Shropshire airfield for afternoon display, he also has nearby display\flybys to do.

1st take off is half way down the runway (mainly used for light aircraft but approved for this Harrier display) and lifts into a vertical departure, it is noticed by most that several areas of the tarmac adjacent to the licenced part of the runway are "fluttering". Harrier returns and lands, pilot is told that due to the tarmac in certain areas moving could he extend his take off run and have a more flat departure.

Display time arrives, Harrier hurtles down runway aaaaaand lifts off in exactly the same place. This time some 30 odd square meters of tarmac are blasted off the ground and sent spinning through the air. Pilot does display and departs for some event returning 15mins later. In the meantime loads of airshow staff out collecting lumps of tarmac and sweeping debris scattered all over the active part of the runway. Luckly the licenced part of the runway is still intact. Harier pilot warned of situation (well we all heard it) but carries out landing, turns and then taxi's through damaged area and aircraft is covered in dust and cr@p. Aggravated pilot, over RT 'when did that happen and why wasnt he told' Reply from Control was basically 'you were and its your mess'.
MOD Insurance I believe covered the cost of runway repair but very lucky no FOD to aircraft. Final departure, long and flat.

Also saw the Chinnock at Abingdon, the funny bit was as they reversed up the display line you could see the crew spot the wheel in the middle of the runway - you could see the thought bubble "Hey! doesnt that look just like a Chinnock rear wheel ........arrr cr@p!"

What is it about UASF, navigation and airfield identification. Was at a Duxford show many many years ago, lowish cloud around 1500ft and around 7-8k vis and was looking forward to my first site of an F15. However come the time no aircraft although we could faintly hear one - heard later that apparently the chaps at Cambridge were quite surpised as a grey blurr hurtled down their runway. I do remember the fantastic Lightning display at the same event though, 99% on afterburner and in view the whole time which was unfortunetly quite short! Something about fuel critical some 5 mins after arriving!

Dick Whittingham
26th Nov 2007, 18:30
This one happened in 1961 at a secret French base near Bourges.Vautour display ending as we sat waiting. Vautour appears descending rapidly toward runway, full up control applied and leaving great clawmarks in the sky. Bounces out of ground cushion, goes up and does it again. This time he levels out at zero feet, and breaks left. He has to climb to avoid decapitating large section of crowd and disappears.Pause. Reappears on finals, still at zero feet, 60dg bank, 200yds out and 45deg of turn still needed to line up. Boom wheel begins scattering approach ligts in all directions. Makes centre line still with 45deg bank, levels, slams it down, pops chute, cloud of smoke, turns off at the first intersection.

Later, at post-display dinner he stands up, makes impassioned but unintelligble speech in French and passes out. I met an old mate later that year, CO of a Vautour Sqn at Senlis. Yes, he said, one of mine. It was his last flight in the Service so we told him to enjoy himself.

Dick W

LFT
26th Nov 2007, 19:43
The pics below certainly not "cock-up's" by any matter of means but these guy's certainly brought a smile to my face, their departure took me back to circa 1977 when 9 F-4's departed in stream in the same direction in full 'burner, kept low, turned left over Guard bridge, and did a teardrop, and just as number 9 had turned left number 1 came in at 0.95 warp then pulled into the vertical at the mid-point closely followed by the other 8, marvellous :ok:
Excuse the quality gents as the shots are into sun.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/788/glajan2006085hp4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/1121/glajan2006086taxyts8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3642/glajan2006087oe1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Exrigger
26th Nov 2007, 20:04
LFT thanks for those pictures, reminds of three incidents:

Honington early 90s Tornado GR1 took off, pre-selected U/C as per your F3 picce, aircraft dropped and then developed PIO, quite frightening but recovered well (could not believe that the pilot was supposed to let go of the stick and let the computers sort it out).

Honington again, 9 Sqn had a display for a film crew when they went operational, had it all set up for a few explosions, Tornado came screaming over the airfield towards the HAS site and waiting film crews, explosions duly went off, pilot must of looked where he was going and pulled up sharply to avoid HAS roof, again a case of PIO and some distance out instead of the expected parachutes
he managed to recover and land shortly after.

St Athan was the next one with a 15 Sqn crew who came to pick up a 17 Sqn aircraft post 16 FI wing change, Saints had banned fly bys and fancy take offs (mainly because of the VC10 maintenance hangar personnel), but these guys decided they would show us an impressive take off, they taxied onto the runway kept rolling, in came reheat, pre selected U/C as per the first guys, aircraft dropped (no PIO this time), only just cleared the fence at the golf club end of runway and some distance out was seen to climb and arrived back at Bruggen for a one sided chat with the boss apparently as Saints ATC had complained.

Quite impressive even though they are not stricly display c*ck ups.

A A Gruntpuddock
26th Nov 2007, 22:57
Re Porrohmans comments, I had been going to Leuchars since I was about 8 years old and had seen many aircraft display there including the Vulcan.
I was there that day and the plane did the usual swing out over Guardbridge before turning North to get back to the runway but seemed to have left it a bit late. It took a slow, very tight turn then came back dropping all the way. As it headed back in I remember thinking 'It has stalled' and looked round to see where my family were. They were too far away to reach so I just turned back and took what I expected to be my last photo as it came sinking down over the crowd under full power. Just after that the announcer said that the display was being curtailed and it landed. It neither looked or felt safe to me and it was shortly after that I heard that it was being withdrawn from the display circuit. I have never been to a display after that.

gibbo568
27th Nov 2007, 00:58
"This mark had different Nose Gear and Nose Wheel Steering for carrier operation"

This caught the above mentioned pilot out, in , if I remember correctly, late '83
Squadron was 43, operating mainly ex-navy F4K, not the later F4M's
The above person was our 'new' CO, and would take a twin sticker, XT875 I think, for a last flight before joining the APC in Cyprus. I was line NCO, and saw the plane out. A few mins later, I heard the reheat being selected, and shortly after an horrendous screech and two bangs!
The pilot, (no names!) had got caught out by the 'slow' NWS, and put the plane sideways down the runway at about 100kts, blowing the tyres and writing off two mainwheels and brake units, and stressing the landing gear!
F720 entry read something like "NWS runaway"............

Mikhail Sharpowicz
27th Nov 2007, 01:15
Not so much a C:mad: up as an awesome airshow photo!!!

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1025605/L/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1025605/L/

Exrigger
27th Nov 2007, 05:41
Remember a Vulcan practice at Marham mid 80s, I was recovering a Tornado from the end of the runway and watched the practice display as I slowly trundled back, the pilot bought it low down the runway, banked left over 27's HAS site and then started side slipping, we thought he had lost it. Thankfully he straightened out and with full power managed to miss the HAS roofs, boy was it close, at this point some of the guys commented on how impressive and agile the Vulcan was.

foxbat68
27th Nov 2007, 10:15
Hmmm. I suspect a bit of the ol' Photoshop chop there possibly for the above SU-27. No heat haze for one. :hmm:
Might be wrong though..if so, kudos:ok:

hobbit1983
27th Nov 2007, 10:47
Also - is that the AAR probe out?

Kitbag
27th Nov 2007, 11:33
is that the AAR probe out?

Yup, he was probably formating on the tanker from which the photo was taken, I think you can just see the wing tip at the extreme far right of the pic. This is from a different point of view so must definitely be photoshopped:hmm:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1032835/M/

effects
27th Nov 2007, 11:37
"Also - is that the AAR probe out?"

Yes I noticed some a/c deploy them during display routines.:ugh:

Kitbag
27th Nov 2007, 12:01
Well with all that photoshopping going on I am convinced there must be a conspiracy to show how good computer software is... or maybe...

those funny people in the East may just have got an aircraft they feel confident in to pull a stunt like that :ooh:

hobbit1983
27th Nov 2007, 13:17
OK, fair enough, those last two don't look fake at all.

Out of curiosity - why display with the probe out?

cliver029
27th Nov 2007, 16:40
..Also correct me if I am wrong but the white centreline stops on the top of the canopy and does not continue through........:hmm:??

spanners123
27th Nov 2007, 17:11
would the white centreline that stops at the top of the canopy be the runway edge by any chance??

XV277
27th Nov 2007, 21:02
..Also correct me if I am wrong but the white centreline stops on the top of the canopy and does not continue through........:hmm:??

You're wrong - look at the sides of the canopy (both front and back seater) you can see the distorted white line

John Farley
28th Nov 2007, 14:04
Kitbag and effects

I am not familiar with the Su-27 family but it would not surprise me that when the probe was out the FBW controls automatically changed into a lower gain more stable mode. Just what you want for flying very low.

JF

mustpost
2nd Dec 2007, 12:01
Absolutely not military person but fond memories of Rosyth Navy Day cock-up in the late seventies (forgive my lack of correct terminology as we go thru' this). As a radio presenter at the time, I was to give a live commentary to the local radio station where I worked during a simulated rescue from a dinghy pegged down on the centre of the football field. This bit at least was correct (the pegging down bit). I am suited up, helmeted, mic-ed and accompanied out to the dinghy by an officer whose rank I am not now sure of, but he did carry a lot of responsiblity (and notes, of which more later). Obviously he is in radio communication - few minutes later Sea King becomes visible over Forth Bridge from Turnhouse area. To add drama and guide my rescuers in, my new-found friend holds aloft a flare and lights it - upside down..:eek: Much burning of uniform, not to say skin, and he does a very good job of inverting the burning flare without intemperate language (gritted teeth etc.) - heroically refusing assistance. Helo now in hover, winchman descends to pluck me from my watery grave - me commentating live on-air, but as I am helped aboard and plugged in, disaster no 2 befalls my officer. With a painful and obviously weakened arm, as we put the nose down to make off, the downdraft reaches him and dispatches the contents of his loose-leaf folder to the four corners of the field - yes it was the entire instructions for Rosyth Navy Day. Looked like about 250 pages to me - rather like confetti. Much abuse from the pilot "told him not to bring anything loose onto the field - bloody fool" etc. but sadly after we landed I did not see him again. Hope he was OK - maybe he uses this forum... Anyway it was all around thirty years ago..:O

After careful thought I edit this by saying this is in no way to discredit or humiliate the person involved - accidents are accidents and I've had more than most people - I learn a lot from this website. :)

Green Flash
2nd Dec 2007, 17:41
lights it - upside down:E
Sorry, couldn't help having a quick snigger.

And hands up all you liars who havn't done something equaly as daft and (potentially) dangerous! I have.:\

charliegolf
2nd Dec 2007, 17:58
Cue navigator Pyro Pete from old Mountbatten town!

CG

thermick
4th Dec 2007, 21:10
The U.S.A.F. seem to have problems identifying display locations in the UK. the bomber display at Blackbushe instead of Farnborough being a recent example.
I remember an air display at Elmdon (now Birmingham International) airport back in the 1950's. The highlight was breaking the sound barrier by three F86 Sabres of the U.S.A.F. At the appointed time the Tannoy was switched into the team leaders radio transmission, we could hear that they were commencing their dive, speed increasing and now breaking the sound barrier! the hushed crowd then heard three muffled double bangs similar to distant field gun fire and wondered what all the fuss over supersonic bangs was about. Meanwhile a few miles away at Hockley Heath, where there was a disused wartime glider training airfield, all hell broke loose when three sonic bangs were aimed straight at the unsuspecting village.
Back at the show we stood around for a while before the three Sabres came flashing across the airfield at a very impressive speed.

On another occasion, at a Battle Of Britain air display at Gaydon, there was to be a flight refuelling demonstration by the U.S.A.F. at three o'clock. At the scheduled time we were told that the next item was the flight refuelling display, we stood around searching the sky and did not see a thing.
Later I cycled back to my home, which was near Honily airfield, to be told by my mother that two big aeroplanes had been going around the area at three o'clock with one "towing" the other one.:ooh:

Geezers of Nazareth
4th Dec 2007, 23:04
Another USAF one, from the 70's.

An air display, possibly Cranwell or Syerston, was due to have a flypast by a USAF F-111 from RAF Upper Heyford. At the appointed hour the aircraft did the flypast - but not at the correct airfield!
The parachutists gently floating to the ground at Langar were not impressed :eek:.

The message by 'mustpost' about the radio commentary reminds me of one from just a few years ago ... the 'crash' landing of the Italian G.222 at the RIAT at RAF Fairford.
At the time I was in the press enclosure, and was watching some people from the local BBC radio (BBC Radio Gloucs or Wilts, or such) preparing for a 'live insert' into their news program. I was also listening to them and their talkback frequency on my scanner :8, so I heard the cue messages and knew it was 'live'. The reporter was facing away from the runway, telling everybody about the air display, how everything was running smoothly, people enjoying themselves, blah, blah. Behind her (and she was completely oblivious to the event ... ) the G.222 nose-wheel collapsed and the aircraft skidded down the runway.
She 'signed off' from the live broadcast, looked at the sound-man as if to say 'how was that?', and then saw everybody gawping at the carnage on the runway. :)

MAINJAFAD
7th Dec 2007, 00:34
RAF Bishops Court, Northern Ireland, Aug 1989. While bulling up the insides of a HF200 height finding Radar for a CO's inspection one Saturday afternoon, I hear the distinctive whine of turbofan engines. I turn to my colleague and state ‘That sounds like an A-10, what the hell is it doing over here?’ Run outside the radar to see a pair of them do two circuits around the airfield, much to the surprise of the local VGS Venture glider that was in the circuit at the time. The Warthogs were actually supposed to be displaying in the Ulster Airshow at Newtownards 20 miles to the north.

Gainesy
7th Dec 2007, 13:52
[QUOTE][While bulling up the insides of a HF200 height finding Radar/QUOTE]

= Mopping up hyd fluid? Bloody things.

Yours Aye,
Disgusted of Boulmer.

Auster Fan
7th Dec 2007, 15:43
IIRC, he used to fly some lovely tight pairs formation aeros with the late Guy Bancroft-Wilson in a P-40 and P-39 respectively at Flying Legends displays.

scarecrow450
7th Dec 2007, 20:14
I was part of the emergency services team at IAT 93 and remember giving a thumbs up to a Puma as he taxied from North side and their was'nt a lot of space between the blades and the top of some engineering guys discovery. I then ran bout 1/2 mile to get keys and move it. Which for me,then and now, is a very long way. At the time the fireries thought they were looking for a dead Mig pilot!! A few beers were sunk that night!!

Igloowhite
9th Dec 2007, 16:53
Not really and air show as such but, back in around 86 -87 I was in Dubai and there was a bit of a shindig at the airport for Shiekh Mohammed. Then Defence Minister, now Ruler.

The airport was undergoing expansion and a new parallel runway was just complete, but not yet open, to the east (Sharjah side) of the original runway, 36/18 I think.

The Abu Dhabi Air Force (uncomfortable allies in the Dubai Air Wing in the UAE AF), sent three Mirages (can't remember of they were IIIs or Vs). They did the standard run and break and ships 1 & 2 landed, as expected on the "old" 36L runway. Ship 3 however lands on the new 36R. Only snag, taxiways from 36R not yet compete. Jet emabarrassingly stranded in mid field for rest of ceremony!

Unfathomable as (you'd hope) ship 3 must have had 1 & 2 in sight throughout run, break, downwind finals?

asdaasbo
27th Dec 2007, 18:47
Was involved in near miss during a red arrows display near Bristol. RN Merlin carrying full pasenger load flies through restricted air space during arrows display. Apparently red one had tried several times to contact merlin on radio so broadcast on emergency frequency. Next thing nine red hawks fly straight infront of merlin in formation resulting in evasive maneuveur. needless to say everyone in the back needed new underwear and a rather large pineapple was concealed in one of the flight commanders cavities. :eek:

Raven30
27th Dec 2007, 20:22
Red Ten
Was involved in near miss during a red arrows display near Bristol.Think you'll find it was Croyde Bay, North Devon - a fair way from Bristol. And since it was during the display, don't think Red 10 would have been involved.
Less of an air display c*ck up, more of an airspace infringement.:hmm:

JEM60
27th Dec 2007, 21:08
Just to set the record straight. The aircraft that mistook Cambridge for Duxford was neither an F.15, or aTornado, but was,in fact, a U,S,A,F RF4C from, either Lakenheath, or Alconbury. It did, in fact, turn up and display 20 mins late, and cited unserviceable nav. equipment as a reason for the error!!!?????? Been very interesting, reading this thread. Brought back many memories, not all good ones. Saw my 11th Airshow accident at Oshkosh Wisconsin this year, sadly fatal. Hope it is the last.

asdaasbo
27th Dec 2007, 23:05
My bad. Red ten new term of endearment for merlin pilot.

GasFitter
2nd Jul 2008, 14:56
... any to report?

ShyTorque
2nd Jul 2008, 15:40
I was part of the emergency services team at IAT 93 and remember giving a thumbs up to a Puma as he taxied from North side and their was'nt a lot of space between the blades and the top of some engineering guys discovery. I then ran bout 1/2 mile to get keys and move it. Which for me,then and now, is a very long way. At the time the fireries thought they were looking for a dead Mig pilot!! A few beers were sunk that night!!

I think I was the only Puma pilot there that year; we launched out of the static park on 24th July in response to the mid-air collision of the two Mig 29s. So it might have been me. Very lucky the mid-air didn't result in a major disaster. I recall Red 1 complaining bitterly on the tower frequency about a SARBE warbling on 243.0 as they taxied out to display shortly afterwards. It was from one of the the Russian ejector seats.......

Nothing seen this year, thankfully.

taxydual
2nd Jul 2008, 17:05
'Wait, Out'

But I hope not.

ABX
22nd Dec 2009, 11:46
There must have been some more 'incidents' since last post here. Anyone got a story to tell?

:ok:

hum
23rd Dec 2009, 01:13
Gib air display many moons ago; the heavens open and most of the crowd runs for cover just as Harrier gets airborne... A strong wind whips up coming from around the rock to the South; our BonaJet Hero commences a minicircuit (basically a very tight mostly jetborne circuit flown at around 30Kt IAS). As soon as he goes out of wind he starts to drop like a stone in massive sink... I'll never forget the image in my mind of the Aircraft descending, pitched up sharply with the jet efflux turned distinctly black (max wellie). 40 Kt tailwind = exits stage right towards Spain descending all the way...bottoms out behind the Officers' Mess and appears again behind the crowd; wisely abandons the rest of the display and lands.
Must have been a very strong localised gust back there - fortunately out of sight of most of the crowd - blew most of the slates off an unoccupied MQ.... :eek::eek:

astir 8
23rd Dec 2009, 08:34
A story from Somalia many years back - when Somalia was still a country and the USSR still existed - and the two countries were best buddies.

Half a dozen of the local pilots went off to the USSR to learn to fly Mig 21's (I think that's what they were). Anyway, something supersonic but very low fuel endurance at full chat.

They duly came back with their new toys (on a ship) and were told to do a flyby over the independence day parade - and to demonstrate the new prowess of the Somali airforce they were to do it low and as fast as possible.

Unfortunately Mogadishu is on the coast and the flight line over the parade was straight out to sea...................:sad:

Only two made it back.

grobace
10th Jan 2010, 09:37
I've only just come across this thread and thoroughly enjoyed reading some of the tales. This may not be classed as a 'cock-up', as, IIRC, both incidents were a result of technical failure. Nevertheless, the Battle of Britain At Home Day held at RAF Coltishall in 1970 did not go according to plan. A Lightning T4 ended in a smoking hole just outside the MATZ - both pilots ejecting successfully - and a Mk1A engaged the barrier on landing following a brake malfunction.
Coltishall had witnessed a worse incident earlier that year, but the display was not a public one, just a bit of showing off for the AOC which rapidly went to worms.

JEM60
10th Jan 2010, 15:28
I've been to Oshkosh Airventure six times in the last ten years. Seen everything from an F4U Corsair cartwheeling to destruction, been chased across the grass by an out of control Beech Bonanza landing, numerous broken undercarriages, everything in between, and culminating in a fatal collision between two P.51s two years ago, one a new build. I had the misfortune to film this one. NTSB can I have the video tape back please?.
By the way, we Brits who go regularly there find the Emergency Teams response, particulary the Fire Crews, EXTREMELY SLOW in comparison to British Airshow teams. Any body else find the same?Most days at Airshows are fine, some can be very sad.

TorqueOfTheDevil
10th Jan 2010, 15:35
Not strictly an airshow, but close enough perhaps...

April '98, Cottesmore, AOC 1 Group is visiting to view the display routines by 'his' aircraft before signing the crews off to display for the forthcoming season. I was holding at Cottesmore, working for the GR1 display crew as jack of few trades, master of none, and it had been my job to film the display practices; on this day, I was to film all three displays (GR1, Jag and Harrier).

Unlike previous days, when I'd had the flat roof outside ATC to myself during the filming, lots of people had gathered to watch proceedings, from the AOC and his flunkies down through all 3 relevant stn cdrs, sqn bosses, hangers on etc etc. The weather was reasonable, but with a fair breeze blowing across the runway. The Harrier taxies out and lines up, just as the door from the VCR opens and another holding bloke appears carrying a large tray with refreshments for the throng. On his tray are teacups, saucers, teapot, milk jug, sugar bowl, teaspoons, biccies...and about 50 pristine serviettes. He takes two steps across the flat roof when the wind catches the serviettes and instantly creats a snowstorm heading rapidly for said Harrier.

Cue banging on window of VCR and pointing at snowstorm to make them hold the Harrier on the ground while the BCU et al dash all over the airfield trying to gather up all the serviettes. Fortunately the Harrier still had enough fuel to launch into his display even after 10-15 mins of holding. Having been something of a sh1t magnet during my hold, I was delighted that someone else had made a faux pas for once...

206Fan
10th Jan 2010, 16:15
cg5xRMy3x5Y

ghostie
10th Jan 2010, 19:37
'Back in the day', when I used to attend RIAT as part of the Emergency Services, we, in the Wiltshire Ambulance Service got ourselves a new Chief Exec.

He was most interested in our volunteering for such a high profile event , and vowed to give those of us attending all the help he could. So, far from previous years, when we made our own way to Fairford in shared cars with no kit, this year, (95 or 96?) we were given a brand new Ambulance, fully kitted to take and use. This was the day when ambulances were white, with a green chequered stripe down the side. How proud we were to turn up and offer our new vehicle for use.

We were tasked with being part of the 'column', and one of our standby points at various times of the day, was to drive in convoy and park on the grass, next to the taxiway, near the far end of the runway. This was a great spot, being only metres from taxying aircraft and almost directly underneath the display line.

On the last day, weather conditions were almost perfect, and we were treated to the Reds displaying literally feet over our heads, particularly the syncro pair. We were bathed continuously with smoke, i recall particularly red smoke.

When we turned round at the end of the display, it was to be greeted with a lovely PINK ambulance, and I mean, visibly pink. It did not wash off, it had to be T cutted and polished.

I know, it was me that had to do it, and the Chief Exec? He lost interest and gave bugger all help after that. Not much of a tale, but its the only one I've got, and it took me hours to make it white again.

GrumpyGramps
12th Jan 2010, 13:03
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauldav/4269025728/The brand new Harrier was to be demonstrated at Farnborough, and two Wessex from 72 Sqn were going to ‘resuply’ the Harrier in the field. One carried an underslung netted load simulating ammunition, and the other carried an underslung APFC (aka bollock) full of Avtur for the Harrier. On the show preview day laid on for the press I was crewman of the fuel carrier, and as the pair of Wessex hover taxied along Farnborough’s disused runway my pilot transmitted a radio call on the cargo release button!
The APFC fell clear but no problem, these APFCs are designed to be air dropped … but not cluttered with chains and slings … and it burst scattering some 500 gallons of Avtur on the runway.
The display was being watched by AOC 38 Group, Micky Martin of Dambusters fame. Quite naturally he expressed a desire to speak to the crew of the offending Wessex and suggested we used two 8 foot strops in parallel for safety! When we explained this wouldn’t work he suggested we filled the APFC with water instead of Avtur. Too heavy, even with Avtur the Wessex was struggling, so for the remaining display days we used an APFC part filled with water then blown into shape with compressed air.
After an interview with the AOC and a bollicking from our Squadron Commander we thought that was the end of it, until it became apparent that the tarmac we had destroyed was some special stuff they had laid for braking trials, and the damage ran into tens of thousands of pounds. The enquiry was reopened and when asked what I had said on the intercom when the load fell off, “Fuggin’ ‘ell, Ronnie!” was transcribed as “I informed my pilot that the load had inadvertently released”.
The icing on the cake came when a friend told me he had been taking a photo of the two Wessex just as the APFC fell off. The APFC can be seen under the leading Wessex, and if you look really close you can see the 8 foot strop still attached.

Captain Sensible
13th Jan 2010, 18:39
Well, the 1st Bahrain International Air Show takes place next week here in the desert playground, and I hope I have nothing untoward to report from there by the end of the show!

Ivan Rogov
13th Jan 2010, 19:11
At BZN in the mid 90s there was a display arranged for the RAF Aux Regiment, a mock attack involving Chinook, Herk, Wessex and a few Gunners. There was a nice row of 12 man tents for all the expected VIPs connected with one side rolled up, all went well during the practice until the Chinook turned up and the tents took off like Mary Poppins brolly. All went well on the big day except for the pucker factor when the Wessex landed and rolled much further than before, still it stopped before it got us :ok:

Soon after we were at Waddington doing the ground assault for the Air Day, that went much better even though the Jet Ranger doing pleasure flights decided to land right in the middle of us, I guess DPM does work! Never did like helicopters after that :} Always wondered if anyone got a good photo of it and whether the pilot got in the poo?

boguing
13th Jan 2010, 22:51
Many years ago I went to an airshow in the Northern Hemisphere.

There was a Herc on static display. Towbar attached.

As we left said show, the Herc passed overhead with gear down and said towbar still attached - albeit not pointing forwards.

It then flew by the tower with gear up and no towbar.

Presume it didn't fall off anywhere important.

If the crew would like to buy me a coffee, I'll be at the same show this year!

Motleycallsign
14th Jan 2010, 11:25
Circa '74, I was part of an 18 Sqn Wessex SAR demo crew at a small German airstrip down in the Rhineland. Bergneustadt-Auf-Dem-Dumpel was an undulating grass strip sat on the side of a hill. Weather not too good, Reds were only able to do a 'low' display and the 'Falcs' unable to display at all. Enter the mighty Vulcan for his alloted time; due to the gap in the programme that had appeared the Vulcan capt was asked if he could extend his display to cover, he obliged with a couple of fast flybys and then a low/slow approach with everything dangling, a roller was the result followed by the retraction of gear etc and a gate climb to disappear thru' the cloud, to rapturous applause from a very impressed gathering. I believe the capt later had a hat on, no tea one-way chat with C-in-C RAFG.

SASless
14th Jan 2010, 12:12
At my home town airshow many many Moons ago....USN S-2 "Stoof" taxiing for takeoff at the end of the show. Tower cleared him to depart RWY 15 which originates at the main Ramp. The Tannoy carrying the radio chat went like this (more or less).....

Navy 123 cleared for takeoff runway 15 (6500 feet long x 150 wide), contact Greensboro Approach 118.x after takeoff, maintain 3,000 until further advised.

Navy 123....affirms the instructions.....

Loud application of power to the two big Recips on the Stoof...

Tower.... Navy 123.... You do have the Fairchild-Hiller Factory in sight at your Twelve O'Clock don't you?

Navy 123.... Fairchild Hiller Factory....Where?

Tower..... I cleared you for 15...the Main Runway....you are on Old 18....which is not used since they built that large red brick building on it!

Instant silence.....both from the Tannoy and the two big Recips....and squealing sound of brakes/tires and smell of burning rubber in the air!

dead_pan
14th Jan 2010, 12:30
I recall a fairly eventful show at Prestwick in the 90s. A Sea Fury had a problem with its undercarriage (one up, one down). Despite the best efforts of the pilot nothing could be done to rectify the problem so the decision was taken to ditch in the Forth of Clyde. Almost immediately this drama had played out a BA 747 enroute to the 'states had a suspected fire on-board and performed an emergency landing at the field. Realised that the airshow gods were against them, the organisers decided to cancel the rest of the show :(

Anyone heard the apocryphal story of a B1 tearing up the runway at Blackbushe, having mistaken it for Farnborough?

Gainesy
14th Jan 2010, 13:48
Yep. And B-52. Not apocryphal, Yanks, not Greeks.

BEagle
14th Jan 2010, 14:57
Initially, everyone thought 'tee hee, dumb spams have the wrong aerodrome'. However, I read somewhere that what actually happened was that the Buff crew arrived on time at the planned position, but the show was running late. ATC then made them hold at a location from which they could not safely haul the Buff around to conduct their planned display, so after a couple of holds they left the area in righteous disgust at the ineptitude of the display manager.....

effects
14th Jan 2010, 19:53
As I understand it- the a/c had just flown over direct from Minot AFB it flew over Odiham and proceeded downwind to the south of Farnborough when cleared in to display he was asked if he was visual with the field to which he replied yes, when all realised it was Blackbushe he had identified it was then too late to turn in, as this was a trade day I suspect the display was running on time.

Man-on-the-fence
14th Jan 2010, 20:37
Having listened to it on the Radio at Farnborough, Beagle has got it just about how I heard it. The B52 (operating from Fairford post RIAT) was asked to make a turn that he had no chance of making, so decided to leave. IIRC he made a call that he was passing over Blackbushe so he knew where he was.

andybeau
14th Jan 2010, 21:42
Picture below shows the "Goose" not exactly going to plan at Biggin Hill last year!

http://www.pbase.com/andrewbeaumont/image/115863428/original.jpg

Brian Abraham
16th Jan 2010, 02:18
Question asked of SR-71 pilot Brian Suhl, USAF retired, "What was the slowest you ever flew the Blackbird?"

As a former SR-71 pilot, and a professional keynote speaker, the question I'm most often asked is "How fast would that SR-71 fly?" I can be assured of hearing that question several times at any event I attend. It's an interesting question, given the aircraft's proclivity for speed, but there really isn’t one number to give, as the jet would always give you a little more speed if you wanted it to. It was common to see 35 miles a minute. Because we flew a programmed Mach number on most missions, and never wanted to harm the plane in any way, we never let it run out to any limits of temperature or speed. Thus, each SR-71 pilot had his own individual “high” speed that he saw at some point on some mission. I saw mine over Libya when Khadafy fired two missiles my way, and max power was in order. Let’s just say that the plane truly loved speed and effortlessly took us to Mach numbers we hadn’t previously seen.

So it was with great surprise, when at the end of one of my presentations, someone asked, “what was the slowest you ever flew the Blackbird?” This was a first. After giving it some thought, I was reminded of a story that I had never shared before, and relayed the following.

I was flying the SR-71 out of RAF Mildenhall, England, with my back-seater, Walt Watson; we were returning from a mission over Europe and the Iron Curtain when we received a radio transmission from home base. As we scooted across Denmark in three minutes, we learned that a small RAF base in the English countryside had requested an SR-71 fly-past. The air cadet commander there was a former Blackbird pilot, and thought it would be a motivating moment for the young lads to see the mighty SR-71 perform a low approach. No problem, we were happy to do it. After a quick aerial refueling over the North Sea, we proceeded to find the small airfield.

Walter had a myriad of sophisticated navigation equipment in the back seat, and began to vector me toward the field. Descending to subsonic speeds, we found ourselves over a densely wooded area in a slight haze. Like most former WWII British airfields, the one we were looking for had a small tower and little surrounding infrastructure. Walter told me we were close and that I should be able to see the field, but I saw nothing. Nothing but trees as far as I could see in the haze. We got a little lower, and I pulled the throttles back from 325 knots we were at. With the gear up, anything under 275 was just uncomfortable. Walt said we were practically over the field—yet; there was nothing in my windscreen. I banked the jet and started a gentle circling maneuver in hopes of picking up anything that looked like a field. Meanwhile, below, the cadet commander had taken the cadets up on the catwalk of the tower in order to get a prime view of the fly-past. It was a quiet, still day with no wind and partial gray overcast.

Walter continued to give me indications that the field should be below us but in the overcast and haze, I couldn’t see it. The longer we continued to peer out the window and circle, the slower we got. With our power back, the awaiting cadets heard nothing. I must have had good instructors in my flying career, as something told me I better cross-check the gauges. As I noticed the airspeed indicator slide below 160 knots, my heart stopped and my adrenalin-filled left hand pushed two throttles full forward. At this point we weren’t really flying, but were falling in a slight bank. Just at the moment that both afterburners lit with a thunderous roar of flame (and what a joyous feeling that was) the aircraft fell into full view of the shocked observers on the tower. Shattering the still quiet of that morning, they now had 107 feet of fire-breathing titanium in their face as the plane leveled and accelerated, in full burner, on the tower side of the infield, closer than expected, maintaining what could only be described as some sort of ultimate knife-edge pass.

Quickly reaching the field boundary, we proceeded back to Mildenhall without incident. We didn’t say a word for those next 14 minutes.

After landing, our commander greeted us, and we were both certain he was reaching for our wings. Instead, he heartily shook our hands and said the commander had told him it was the greatest SR-71 fly-past he had ever seen, especially how we had surprised them with such a precise maneuver that could only be described as breathtaking. He said that some of the cadet’s hats were blown off and the sight of the plate form of the plane in full afterburner dropping right in front of them was unbelievable. Walt and I both understood the concept of “breathtaking” very well that morning, and sheepishly replied that they were just excited to see our low approach.

As we retired to the equipment room to change from space suits to flight suits, we just sat there-we hadn’t spoken a word since “the pass.” Finally, Walter looked at me and said, “One hundred fifty-six knots. What did you see?” Trying to find my voice, I stammered, “One hundred fifty-two.” We sat in silence for a moment. Then Walt said, “Don’t ever do that to me again!” And I never did.

A year later, Walter and I were having lunch in the Mildenhall Officer’s club, and overheard an officer talking to some cadets about an SR-71 fly-past that he had seen one day. Of course, by now the story included kids falling off the tower and screaming as the heat of the jet singed their eyebrows. Noticing our HABU patches, as we stood there with lunch trays in our hands, he asked us to verify to the cadets that such a thing had occurred. Walt just shook his head and said, “It was probably just a routine low approach; they’re pretty impressive in that plane. Impressive indeed.

Little did I realize after relaying this experience to my audience that day that it would become one of the most popular and most requested stories. It’s ironic that people are interested in how slow the world’s fastest jet can fly. Regardless of your speed, however, it’s always a good idea to keep that cross-check up…and keep your Mach up, too.

Wonder what Cirrus on another thread would make of this elementary "mistake". ;)

H Peacock
16th Jan 2010, 06:52
As we left said show, the Herc passed overhead with gear down and said towbar still attached - albeit not pointing forwards.

It then flew by the tower with gear up and no towbar.

I can understand the odd pin being missed, but a towbar - surely not!

:D

cornish-stormrider
16th Jan 2010, 09:11
That Blackbird story - Now that is a story. It hath bought a grin, big and shiny to an otherwise pants morning at work.