PDA

View Full Version : Crew with kids

Head_in_clouds
9th Nov 2006, 08:16
Can I ask your advice. My friend has decided a career change is in order and wants to follow in the footsteps of her cabin crew friend (me):) . She is worried as she has two kids, so I told her I'd get on pprune and pick the other crew brains. If you are cabin crew with kids how do you arrange your childcare as the childminders and nurserys are not very flexible. For example, if your having a day off in the week and as we all know, you can't have the same day off every week, do you still pay your childminder and leave the kid there or keep them with you? (Her husband works 8-5 so her childminder would only be needed between these hours)

chipmunkj
9th Nov 2006, 15:25
I have flown for 32 years on both long and short haul with 3 kids.
During this time i have had a variety of childcare solutions.
If you are full time with little family support the best option is a live in trained Nanny, who has your days off.
If you are part time, or have some family support, you can put your Nanny/childminder on an annual hours/days contract---giving her a monthly salary based on the hours/days you think you will need her.
I never bothered with agencies, but advertised myself in The Lady, Nursery World and my local papers.
Never failed to find the right person, but it does take time and hard work.
Best of luck!

flybywire
9th Nov 2006, 15:54
I agree with chipmunkj. I do not know where your friend will be flying from, however I know that near Gatwick there are 24hrs nurseries created with airport workers in mind who take bookings on a daily basis, which is ideal for when you cannot organise childcare for nightstops, late airport standby's or even for when you get called out to do a flight and nobody can look after the child! :ok:

Head_in_clouds
9th Nov 2006, 19:33
Thats interesting. I'll let her know. That 24hr nursery sounds good. Should be more of these near airports

galley girl
17th Nov 2006, 11:41
If you have seniority, flying with children can work well but if not it can take a heavy toll on your family and personal life. I have just had to resign as I just couldn't work the weekends any more and be away from my kids. You really do miss a lot and they are only kids for such a short time. Things like, helping out with homework, after school activities, kissing them good night, being there when they are sick and just just want mum, weekend sport and family time rarely exits. The nanny was becoming the mother. I LOVED flying but my children will always come first. Good luck and I hope it can work for your friend.