PDA

View Full Version : logon to private wi-fi using macbook

daedalus
8th Nov 2006, 14:39
Staying at small hotel with wi-fi, protected to prevent neighbours from logging on.
Macbook normally detects wi-fi and asks if I want to log on. In this case, the manager needed to add my laptop details to his list of those allowed access. he did this using what he refers to as the "Mac" number (I don't think this has anything to do with Apple Mac.)
In any case, we found this 12-digit number in my Mac details and he entered it into his sytem.
Despite this, my Macbook still will not log on, and tells me that I must ask the administrator to include my Mac on his list.
We tried this a couple times, but still no luck.
<
Any ideas?:ugh:

Saab Dastard
8th Nov 2006, 17:35
Daedalus,

There are a number of ways of securing a wifi network.

One is to only allow connections from network cards with a MAC (Media Access Control) address (the 12 digit number) that is on a pre-approved list.

In addition to this, access to the network may require the provision of a "key" - this is what WEP and WPA require.

The key can be provided either as the 64, 128 or 256 bit string, or more normally as a passphrase that generates the key when hashed.

Another way to prevent access to a WiFi network is to turn off the network ID broadcast (SSID). In this case you have to tell your network device what the SSID is before you can connect.

It is further possible to limit the number of IP addresses given out by the DHCP server on the WiFi network - when used with address reservation this can prevent you from using the network even if all three above are in place.

All the above is at the MAC or IP layers - layer 2 & 3 controls.

Then there are networks to which access is controlled by an authentication service - application level control - such as BT Openzone or similar commercial wifi "hotspots". Here you need to register and pay in some way for the service.

It is possible to operate this kind of authentication requirement WITHOUT requiring payment I should add - in which case you still need to have some form of account ID and possibly password given to you.

HTH

SD

luoto
8th Nov 2006, 17:39
Mac address is a network address to the network card (PCs have them to).

In Tiger Apple Menu/System Preferences/Network/ select to show the network port in quesiton i,e, airport or fixed Ethernet, fifth tab to right hand side "Ethernet" and the ethernet ID is then the number you want.

But that hotel has a very odd way /labour intensive way of setting up net access for guests. Most use some proxy and a temporary ID.

AppleMacster
8th Nov 2006, 21:06
Is it possible that the wireless network needs you to put in a WEP key as well? For a Mac(intosh), this needs to be a 128 Bit key, and you will need to enter the whole 26 character hexadecimal string.

Applemacster

vapilot2004
9th Nov 2006, 05:51
Your Mac probably has 2 MACs. :)

One for the Ethernet adaptor and the other for the wireless unit. They are not the same.

When you attempt to logon to the access control enabled WIFI network, the access point or router would authenticate you VIA your wireless adaptor's MAC address and not the ethernet one. If the incorrect ID is used, the network would refuse your connection.

You may also discover the needed numbers in the settings area of the Airport application on the computer. Look for the Airport ID.

Good Luck!

AppleMacster
9th Nov 2006, 06:49
Vapilot is correct.

In System Profiler, you have to make sure that the "Airport Card" line is highlighted. Scroll down to the bottom in the lower field where the information is contained. Confusingly, the MAC number comes under a sub-section called "Ethernet". This is the Airport MAC number. If you clicked on "Built-in Ethernet" at the top, the MAC number would be different. Just make sure you're clicking the right network connection in the top field on System Profiler>Network.

Applemacster