PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Air or Aer Lingus/Emirates First Class to Sydney Opinion

toolonggone
8th Nov 2006, 13:54
Hi all,

Have to go to SYD next month for a business meeting and options are GF from DUB-BAH-SYD or EI/EK DUB-DXB-SYD in First Class. Favouring GF option as better connections and extras e.g. limo pick-ups.

From site, GF looks to offer an excellent first class product. Just wondering if anyone had experienced GF first class and what it is like compared to EK.

Thanks again. Cheers.

heidelberg
13th Nov 2006, 18:40
I am travelling Business class DUB to SYD (Return) in Feb 2007.

Lingus Premier fare DUB to DXB return was more expensive than Gulf's DUB to SYD return Business class!!!
Plus the limo perks and put up in 5 star hotel on return leg in BAH because of 16 hour stopover.

If I used EI to DXB I would have used Emirates to SYD.

It's very strange there is no code sharing agreement between Emirates and Lingus - more especially the fact the EI Chief Exec came from Emirates!

Lingus and Emirates must be losing out on business through not having a codes sharing agreement in place?

Right now Gulf wins hands down.

Globaliser
13th Nov 2006, 19:50
It's very strange there is no code sharing agreement between Emirates and Lingus - more especially the fact the EI Chief Exec came from Emirates!Why is that strange? They're competitors. Once airline start codesharing, some of the competitive element is taken away. Moreover, Aer Lingus remains (for the moment) a member of the oneworld alliance. It doesn't bar external codesharing, but it is more unusual.

Flip Flop Flyer
15th Nov 2006, 17:14
I flew on GF LHR-BAH 4 days ago in First. You will not be disappointed. Whilst I personally couldn't care less for limo pick-ups, the seats onboard and the service provided was the best I have ever experienced. You do have to be careful, however, as the new First seats are not rolled out throughout the fleet. The only type where you're guaranteed the new seat is on the A330. Seating is only 4 across, and there's only 8 seats in total in First. You'll be served by a crew of 2.5 (FA and the Chef + the CSD will check on you ever so often). The old seat was 6 across, and whilst it did recline to almost-flat, well, it's not of the pod type and and therefore not up to current standards. Not a bad seat, not by a long shot, just not up there with the best. The new First seats, however, are.

I'm flying back to FRA in a few hours, supposedly on an A340 which may have the old seats.

I've tried EK in Business, and was honestly not impressed by the seat. Service was fine, but very impersonal and delivered in a very robotic fashion by what looked like crew who didn't really give a toss. Sure, they smiled nicely, but there was no warmth. Perhaps they had a collective day off, who knows.

I've flown GF several times in both Business and First. The service is of a consistenly high standard, with my latest experience on GF2 the pinnacle. Very fine food was offered too, prepared by the onboard chef (I kid you not).

Only downside is a slightly antiquated IFE system, so bring your lappy and a few DVDs if you wish to be able to stop/start/pause/wind at your leisure. But if I have the choice between and all singin and dancing IFE and the finest level of service available, then I'm going for the service.

So, for me it would be GF.

toolonggone
15th Nov 2006, 23:04
Thanks for all the helpful comments. Have booked GF DUB-BAH-SYD next month in First for just under £2,300 all in, which is superb compared to other carriers to Oz! Flew EI last week to JFK in Premier and it really needs a revamp URGENTLY! Not a patch on BA etc...

Cheers, TLG

Seat1APlease
16th Nov 2006, 08:50
I think EI have really lost the plot. Whilst their product is going low cost their prices aren't.

A friend was looking up DUB-FRA-DUB for a trip in a couple of weeks time.

LH are about £110 return (160 euro) whereas Ei wanted £930 (about 1400 euro) for a 2 hour flight, and that is in economy where they no doubt have to pay extra for a cup of coffee!

heidelberg
16th Nov 2006, 09:12
I priced Aer Lingus Premier DUB/DXB/DUB at 3400 Euro.
I was thinking of using EK from DXB to SYD.

On checking Gulf Business class I got it for
3200 Euro DUB/SYD/DUB (via BAH)!!!!

And AL Premier is NOT a patch on GF Business.

The CEO of AL - Derek Mannion - came from EK; one would have thought he would do a code share with EK. (Maybe EK are not interested?).
AL and EK do NOT compete DUB/DXB.

Anyway GF should become very popular for PAX from DUB to Middle and Far East and OZ/NZ.
Big Bonus? One avoids using LHR!!!!

Flip Flop Flyer
16th Nov 2006, 11:09
Just FYI, the A340 what brought me back to cold and windy Europe did indeed have the new F seats. Only downside was that I simply cannot sleep on aeroplanes, no matter how comfy the seat, unless I inhale some sort of drugs to put me out. Had none for this trip. Bummer.

Enjoy BAH, if you need a few pointers for your lay-over let me know. Several nice watering holes worth visiting :ok:

Nice price you got there btw. My outfit spent around EUR 2.800 LHR-BAH-FRA!

johnrizzo2000
18th Nov 2006, 16:58
EK and EI announced they would be code-sharing months ago, but nothing happened. Maybe next year when EI leaves oneworld...........

knobbygb
19th Nov 2006, 11:30
Slightly off the original topic, but can any of you regulars tell me what the GF service and IFE is like in the back? Doing ATH-BAH-BKK/SIN-BAH-ATH in a few weeks, supposedly on an A340 on the 2 long sectors (it says 343 out and 342 back but they don't have 340-200's do they?)

Also, I have 4 hours at BAH - any reccomendations on where to eat and drink? Anything potential problems I should look out for with transfers etc?

Thanks.

itsinthebox
23rd Nov 2006, 18:39
We flew with EK LGW DXB SYD / SYD DXB LHR last year and carefully planned it to use the 345 on the DXB SYD DXB legs. In first class, a fantastic product, meal service, crew pleasantness, a fantastic experience. Managed to get 2 return fares of £2500 each, though i have been looking for these fares again, but no joy! LGW DXB sector on a 330, still great service, only let down was the DXB LHR service, though that could have been because i was a little tired after the SYD leg.