PDA

View Full Version : Running rules in Outlook 2003

Bus429
7th Nov 2006, 16:34
I'm trying to run rules for emails received from certain people to be moved into a certain folder. I've tried running rules wizard but it leaves a copy in the main inbox and does not apply the rules to emails already in the inbox before the rule was applied.
I've ticked all the necessary boxes to no avail.:ugh:

Mac the Knife
7th Nov 2006, 17:12
When you've finished making a new rule, at the end of the process ["Finish Rule setup"], there are two little checkboxes that say, ""Run this Rule now on messages already in 'Inbox'?" and "Turn on this Rule?".

Check 'em and finish.

:ok:

Bus429
7th Nov 2006, 17:48
Done that but every new message lodges both in the main inbox and the designated folder.
In fact, sent items also appear in "Sent" folder and my designated folder.

Mac the Knife
7th Nov 2006, 18:57
Edit the Rule and step through Conditions, Actions and Exceptions and look at all the checkboxes carefully - for example, perhaps you have checked "Move a copy to the specified folder" as well as or instead of "Move it to the specified folder".

I think there is a limit of 32K characters per account for all rules - so if you have a lot of Rules some may not work.

The "Rules" are not a proper regex and I don't know how OL stores 'em so I don't have any other suggestions.