PDA

View Full Version : American Carriers vs. CX

Chameleon161
6th Nov 2006, 21:21
I'm happy to say that I made it through the interview at CX, and am excited to start class soon! I have many friends and co-workers trying to get their foot in the door at several North American carriers, but all in all, it seems that CX is the place to be, is it not? I'm really hoping to get some insight into the life at CX...the major carriers in North America have poor pay (CAL starts you out at $26,000), you start on reserve, and the medical has been deteriorating...these are some of the main factors that I have come up with. The industry is a constant sine wave that hinges on contracts, fuel costs, handcuffing by management, and other variables. So, the options in North America are initially limited, but unfortunately one can't predict the long term effects. I've looked at all the options, and see CX as a great opportunity for a career. Just like at any other airline, there are hiccups. Training, not doing the job right, etc., can lead to a bad rap with the company. But, I was curious as to how CX would compare to the North American majors? Any insight would greatly be appreciated! Cheers! :ok:

Penske
6th Nov 2006, 21:33
My advice to you is to trust your instincts. If you base the biggest decision of your career on the negative babble on this forum, you will be making a mistake.

Cathay does expect alot out of you, but they offer in return a challenging and rewarding career with numerous options as to how that career plays out.

cpdude
7th Nov 2006, 00:07
I'm happy to say that I made it through the interview at CX, and am excited to start class soon! I have many friends and co-workers trying to get their foot in the door at several North American carriers, but all in all, it seems that CX is the place to be, is it not? I'm really hoping to get some insight into the life at CX...the major carriers in North America have poor pay (CAL starts you out at $26,000), you start on reserve, and the medical has been deteriorating...these are some of the main factors that I have come up with. The industry is a constant sine wave that hinges on contracts, fuel costs, handcuffing by management, and other variables. So, the options in North America are initially limited, but unfortunately one can't predict the long term effects. I've looked at all the options, and see CX as a great opportunity for a career. Just like at any other airline, there are hiccups. Training, not doing the job right, etc., can lead to a bad rap with the company. But, I was curious as to how CX would compare to the North American majors? Any insight would greatly be appreciated! Cheers! :ok:

Hmmmm...your first post and it's a huge sale's pitch!

I would say you have been employed on the 3rd floor for quite a while!!!!!!:}

Fliegenmong
7th Nov 2006, 00:14
QUOTE:
Hmmmm...your first post and it's a huge sale's pitch!

I would say you have been employed on the 3rd floor for quite a while!!!!!!

:D :D :}

Sike
7th Nov 2006, 02:06
I am off to my second interview at the end of this month and although I am not working for CX yet, I would have to say that I feel like the opportunity seems to be better than that offered by most American carriers. Look at the pay scales and QOL at the legacies now. Look at the fact that it will take you 2+ years at a legacy to make what you will make at CX your first year. Perhaps things will improve there in a few more years, but I don't want to spend 2-3 more years at a regional waiting for something that may never come along. I also feel like things are going to get shakier and shakier for the LCC's soon... possibly even SWA. They are going to be facing fierce competition from the dinosaurs who have returned to profitability and have expansive international networks. So, that leaves FEX and UPS... Well, good luck to anyone trying to get on with FEX. UPS looks nice, but I'm not sure I want to leave for 10-14 days at a time for many years of my life when I would eventually like to have a family.

My .02

sisyphos
7th Nov 2006, 10:09
looks like they really have a problem in the U.S.:ouch:

hey chameleon, gettin nervous in your cubicle on the third floor??:}

Chameleon161
8th Nov 2006, 02:55
Thanks for the input...third floor? :confused: Not likely....no sales pitch, no third floor...sorry if that was misintrepreted...

Numero Crunchero
9th Nov 2006, 02:50
Wow.....talk about paranoia!

I have been to the 3rd floor many times...usually cap in hand followed by a 'please explain' ;-)

Chameleon, welcome to CX. It isnt the airline it was a decade ago but nor are any others. I ahve many friends in many airlines and I know I made the right decision/was lucky to come here.

A lot of people like mouthing on PPRUNE. If CX was so bad they would have left! Or maybe pilots are just the biggest whingers on earth?

For all its past inept HR practices, CX is financially run very well. There is none of your touchy feely HR stuff happening here. We have an open door policy apparently...I think that is so they can kick you out faster! You can easily look up the financials on the net to see that it is as safe a bet as any airline can be. Even during SARS we managed to make a profit. They ended up making so much they had to give us half a 13th month to save embarrasment!

I have many friends in C+T...I still believe the system is fair. There is something we like to call the 'Star Chamber' where the final decision is made on upgrades...that is where the system seems to come unstuck.

Anyway, just do the job to the best of your ability, whinge like hell when in the cockpit and downroute and you will fit in just fine;-)