PDA

View Full Version : Email Client

FunFlyin
6th Nov 2006, 12:59
Hey people - great if any of you can help me

I use the Mac windows client on my laptop to send and receive emails.
They go via my website address but are redirected to a yahoo account.

Up until the last couple of days i have always been able to reply via yahoo but with the from address shown as my website email address. I now seem no longer able to do this as it comes back with a message saying 'Address Unverified'

Now of course it is unveriefied because i doesnt exist. People can send emails too it. And i can (until recently) reply from it via yahoo. I use this email address for business work etc and this is causing me no end of problems.

Anyone any ideas how i can sort this out? :rolleyes:

Gertrude the Wombat
6th Nov 2006, 17:10
Anyone any ideas how i can sort this out? :rolleyes:
Your post isn't entirely clear, but I'm guessing that you have

(1) Bought yourself a domain name.

(2) Bought web site hosting for that domain.

(3) Bought an email service with that domain that allows redirection but doesn't allow direct POP or IMAP access.

(4) Redirected mail sent to your domain to a yahoo address.

(5) Read your incoming mail from your yahoo via some email client.

This is where it becomes unclear. Because normally, if you're using an email client rather than a web interface, your incoming and outgoing mail is handled completely separately, so there's no concept of your outgoing mail being sent "via" your incoming mail account - your outgoing mail is normally sent via the SMTP server provided by your connectivity supplier, who does not necessarily have anything to do with any of your email suppliers.

Now, some ISPs do, and some don't, let you put whatever you like in the From: and/or Reply-to: fields in your emails. Some are getting stroppy about this, and beginning to insist that your From: and/or Reply-to: addresses are addresses in their domain (eg the ones that came free with the connectivity), in a (probably misguided) attempt to cut down on spam. And some do this even if you think you're connecting to your email provider's SMTP server, because they "transparently" hijack any attempt to make an outgoing connection on port 25 and redirect it to their own server, again in an attempt to stop you spamming anonymously.

So, really you'll have to give some more information, in particular the SMTP server to which you are connecting to send mail, and the ISP you are using for connectivity (whether dial-up or broadband). Then it's a question of finding out whether that ISP's policy has changed recently and, if so, you'll probably have to switch to a different ISP.