PDA

View Full Version : AP Mechanic looking for a career change..please give me some input folks!

Turbo Travis
5th Nov 2006, 20:08
Hey fellow Airman:

My name is Travis Moore, and I have been a AP mechanic for about 8 years with military, commercial, corporate and general aviation experiance. Unfortunetly I broke my neck 2 years ago, and the surgery required for me to live my life somewhat normal causes me pain that is only get to worse (before you ask, the neck problems will not cause me to fail a first class phyiscal).

I've had some time off recently, and put some thoughts into a career change. I've looked into, and spoke with some flight schools over the last week or so (most notably Regional Airline Academy in Phoenix). I was quite suprized that you could basically go to school with no previous flight training (although they did make mention that my experience is a nice step in the door), and have the required licenses/ratings to fly for a regional carrier less then 2 years later. I'm fairly confident that I could do well at the school, and although it is expensive to attend, I have the financing in order. From what they say, I could basically easily get a job with a regional carrier after school, and go though the first year or so of low pay and then quickly be on the right track to earning much more the being a mechanic. I'm really excited about the idea, and I would like some input from some folks that aren't counting on my money to keep there school in buisness.

I'd really appreciate some honest inputs and opnions. Thanks so much!

Travis Moore
A&P