PDA

View Full Version : A lesson

Mac the Knife
5th Nov 2006, 16:55
A lesson. Commissioning a new PC (well, actually, putting one together out of odds&sods from spares box for someone new at work). Load up SuSE 10 (despite the fact that Novell's chumming up with M$ makes me nervous). Set up account, email, update system, etc. - all well. Idly stick in audio CD, KsCD starts and seems to be playing, but no sound. Aaaaaargggh! Check ALSA, OSS etc. - all seems fine. Plays MP3s from HDD.

Am about to plunge into the software bowels of the beast when small voice of sanity speaks - is CD audio output plugged in? Open case - yes, but there are two sockets on mobo. Change cable to other socket and reboot.

Oh yes! Here's Curtis Mayfield at full stretch mmmmmm hmmmmmmm!

Yup folks, been there, done that, got the T-shirt - so when something don't work that should, check your hardware before you start rippin' into the system.

:ok:

gingernut
7th Nov 2006, 12:37
so when something don't work that should, check your hardware before you start rippin' into the system

Bit like medicine vs surgery perhaps Mac?:)

planecrazy.eu
7th Nov 2006, 15:24
I;v been there too, just under slightly more embarrasing situations, infront of people who have paid me =)

" aren't you ment to know what your doing? "

In one answer "yes", but the truth is closer to "yes i should know, but no i dont know"

I always start with Hardware now, and then onto the software, makes sense really...

Cheerio
8th Nov 2006, 22:00
Load up SuSE 10 (despite the fact that Novell's chumming up with M$ makes me nervous).

That was news to me, but sure enough there it is on http://www.novell.com/linux/microsoft/openletter.html

Is Bill going soft in his dotage or......?