PDA

View Full Version : Airline Fleets

BBriscoe
21st Apr 2003, 19:10
What routes do Thomas Cook fly their A330's on?

I'm at LGW tomorrow, and was hoping to catch a glimpse of one. Does anyone know where they are flying to, out of Gatwick tomorrow?

TULYAR
21st Apr 2003, 19:27
they fly out of south terminal.

i know one goes to Heraklion,also tenerife.

Psr777
22nd Apr 2003, 01:03
The A330's only fly to short haul destinations on an adhoc basis, for other carriers. They are used on a number of long haul destinations:

Mexico - Cancun
Dominican Republic - La Romana
Puerto Plata

Cuba - Varadero
Holguin
Ciego De Avilla
Cayo de Coco

Summer only - Canada - Vancouver
Calgary

Florida - Sanford

Also been flying to Tobago and Greneda through the winter for Monarch. One of the A330's was also based in Beirut from 25th Jan to 25th Feb operating Hajj flights for MEA.

:cool: :cool:

Hen Ddraig
23rd Apr 2003, 07:52
Thomas Cook A332s also operate MAN to YVR and YYC during the summer season. Hope to be on one on this route shortly.

Time to spare go by air.;)

rolandpull
25th Apr 2003, 03:40
Friday mornings from BHX to Sanford........

B767300ER
26th Apr 2003, 03:23
Who the heck wants to go to SFB (Sanford)? Its miles north of Orlando and the tourist traps, and the terminal is small, not to mention tight taxiways for WB aircraft and way too much primary flight training (Cessnas & Pipers) traffic for comfort.

Better to go to MCO-Orlando Intn'l.

ALLDAYDELI
9th Oct 2006, 11:46
Ex-British Airways B742 TF-ARG ferries from STN-Kemble today for scrapping, due out from STN 1315z, another classic airframe gone.

Wycombe
9th Oct 2006, 13:05
Wasn't this the aircraft that ran the South Atlantic airbridge for the MoD until recently?

When it wasn't being driven into that is!!

irishcc
9th Oct 2006, 17:15
Excel are disposing of two B757-200's before year end. G-VKNB and VKNC are leaving Excel, and apparently, going to FlyGlobespan.

WHBM
10th Oct 2006, 12:27
Very few 757s are likely to be scrapped in the near future as FedEx have recently said they are shopping for about 100 secondhand ones to replace their 727 fleet. Yes some of them look a bit tired now, but with the interiors stripped out they'll suit the Freight Dogs.

barit1
10th Oct 2006, 22:25
I have seen some remarkable rehabbing for freight work - total reskinning the belly, glass cockpit in a DC-9, etc. so nothing would surprise me if the price is right.

nclbase
19th Oct 2006, 11:18
Can anyone point me in the directiion of a website which lists aircraft by fleet type? The only ones I can find list by airlines but I need info sorted by aircraft type.

Cheers

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
19th Oct 2006, 11:22
Try this

http://members.chello.nl/s.c.verbrugge/main.html

Hope it`s what you want

G-I-B

BIG E
19th Oct 2006, 13:35
You could try G-INFO on the CAA website

nclbase
19th Oct 2006, 16:01
Thanks - I need carriers from around thw world, but thanks for that Big E

Cyrano
19th Oct 2006, 16:23
Check your PMs...

MATaxi
31st Oct 2006, 12:56
Sunday 29th saw the first new Boeing 737 transit through LHR on delivery. Can anyone confirm if any of the others on the order will follow the same route and when they might arrive.
Also , is there anywhere net-wise where you can pick up info. on delivery aircraft transitting LHR with dates or times.
Be grateful for any help - thanks.:ok:

hobie
31st Oct 2006, 14:10
I wonder why they would transit through LHR ? ...... :confused:

I would have thought it much easier and quicker to go via somewhere with a bit less traffic? ....

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
31st Oct 2006, 19:28
I wonder why they would transit through LHR ? ...... :confused:

I would have thought it much easier and quicker to go via somewhere with a bit less traffic? ....

Maybe they pick up pax at LHR for an extra 1 way service to at least make a little revenue on the delivery flight?

I think they sent their 777s through LHR previously.

Fried_Chicken
31st Oct 2006, 19:48
They go via Heathrow as Kenyan already have a 'station' at Heathrow due to having scheduled flights there. Therefore contracts are already in place for ground handling, fuel etc..

Kenyans B737-700's were also delivered via Heathrow. I can remember 5Y-KQG being delivered via the 'Row, I think it arrived as N715BA

Fried Chicken

MATaxi
1st Nov 2006, 12:21
Thanks for all the replies , i did think it was the case that Kenyan previously cleared LHR before with their last B737 batch and also i believe Ethiopian also did the same ; assumedly for the same reason of a station.
I'm not sure if any of these flights onward were direct revenue flights or not.Certainly Monday's fight on to Kenya via Cairo was empty.
It just would be nice to have an advanced notice of these sorts of thing dropping in to LHR.

goldeneye
4th Nov 2006, 22:23
Does anyone know when this is due for delivery, ive had a search on G-Info and Airbus but no info. Ive seen Jethros details but cant find anymore info. Is this still happening.

Fried_Chicken
4th Nov 2006, 23:48
its due to be delivered LFBO-EGCC on the 19/11 as TCX330P

Fried Chicken

scruggs
6th Nov 2006, 18:20
How many new TCX 330's are due?

This photo was taken at TLS on 30/10/06:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1134971&size=L&width=1400&height=950&sok=%20beqre%20ol%20cubgb_vq%20QRFP&photo_nr=82

Cheers for the info.

eP

lba2006
6th Nov 2006, 18:25
As far as i'm aware just the one.

scruggs
6th Nov 2006, 18:27
:ok: cheers mate.

UPS@EMA
6th Nov 2006, 18:36
Whens it being delivered?????? flying to CCC on Sunday

Any chance?????

Regards

Stu

scruggs
6th Nov 2006, 19:57
Just out of interest, when was this third 332 frame ordered? According to Airbus orders and deliveries, they only ever ordered 2.

goldeneye
6th Nov 2006, 20:14
Who the heck wants to go to SFB (Sanford)? Its miles north of Orlando and the tourist traps, and the terminal is small, not to mention tight taxiways for WB aircraft and way too much primary flight training (Cessnas & Pipers) traffic for comfort.

All the British Charter airlines (Thomas Cook, Thomsonfly, First Choice, Monarch, Excel/Travel City, MyTravel Airways who have flown here for the past 10 years or so) plus low-cost airline Flyglobespan and Scheduled carrier Icelandair.

goldeneye
6th Nov 2006, 20:19
Whens it being delivered?????? flying to CCC on Sunday
Any chance?????
Regards
Stu
Its due for delivery 19th November.

NEastMidlands
6th Nov 2006, 20:39
Is the interior any different? Please dont tell me they have put an out of date video loop system in this new a/c

BobbyK
7th Nov 2006, 12:43
Fairly self explanatory. I keep reading about companies buying x many aircraft with y options. Just wondering what the options part means?

Rob

WHBM
7th Nov 2006, 14:29
If you order an aircraft it is for a firm delivery date and you will negotiate hard and get say a 737, whose "list" price (in practice rarely paid) is $60m each, for a bargain price, say $50m for each one, all in a firm contract

Airlines like to have one type in their fleet. Now I have bought 10 737s to be delivered over the next year at $50m each. But maybe in 3, maybe 5 years time I will want some more, though not really certain yet if I do or how many I will want, or when.

But if you go back to Boeing in a couple of years time and say "how much", they know you are stuck with all the maintenance and training for the 737 and that changing to the A320 will cost you a bomb and is not what you want to do at all. So they can say "Well the list price has now gone up to $70m, in fact they're so popular we would like $75m each".

So you do an option with your initial order that says - well they all say different things. But maybe it says you can order up to another 12, anytime up to 5 years from now, for delivery within 12 months from then, at a price of $50m plus some inflation index percentage. So when you do go back in a few years time you can be confident that the order price will be say $53m.

So you are on the order books with an agreed price although you needn't take any at all. But you know what you could have if you want, and how much they will cost.

If things turn out bad for the manufacturer there is of course nothing to stop you from negotiating the price down further at that later date. But the manufacturer cannot stick you for more.

Manufacturers like options too because they give an indication of what could possibly be sold in the future and the figures often get misinterpreted as something as good as orders for the long term.

Down Three Greens
7th Nov 2006, 16:38

I have positioned through MCO and regularly operate an A330 into SFB. A copy of points

1. The taxiways are wide enough with no exceptionally tight turns.
2. The time taken to transit from the aircraft in SFB, clear imigration and pick up bags is a fraction of the time of the time at MCO.
3. The terminal is large enough to cope with 7 wide bodies at a time.

I do agree with your comments on the flying training though

BobbyK
7th Nov 2006, 19:18
Cheers WHBM, very clear answer! I was also wondering as I read that whats in it for the manufacturers (whether the airline has to put down a deposit or something) but I guess the interest is good enough for them!

WHBM
7th Nov 2006, 19:53
Cheers WHBM, very clear answer! I was also wondering as I read that whats in it for the manufacturers (whether the airline has to put down a deposit or something) but I guess the interest is good enough for them!
Yes, some options have deposits paid against them (though a nominal amount, others don't. It all depends what you negotiate.

In my day job I do options on cement and steel. If I am building Terminal 5 at Heathrow I say to RMC Concrete "how much for 500,000 cubic metres of concrete delivered to the site by the end of 2007. And they will quote £50 a cubic metre, and I place an option (we call it a "bulk order"). I don't pay anything initially and I don't have to take anything, but I know now that if I call them up and say I want 100 cubic metres next Monday, delivered to site, that it will cost me £5,000. It's the same concept. If they didn't trust I was serious about taking any (they can see I am doing the job) they wouldn't quote.

If they have to build a whole production unit to handle the job they may say "£5 million up front, then just £40 a cubic metre". It gets much more complicated than that but you get the idea. Airlines do the same sort of negotiations with manufacturers.

chornedsnorkack
14th Nov 2006, 10:55
Is Air India supposed to be the next Worldliner customer after PIA?

When are they supposed to get the planes?

Where would they fly?

What interior would they have? (Air India, unlike PIA, has first class in their 747-s.)

And when will the other Worldliner customers (Emirates, EVA, Air Canada, Delta... who else?) get their planes?

TCX69
3rd Dec 2006, 18:28
MyTravel A320 G-GTDL is departing BHX to FZO tmrw as MYT005, could this be for a repaint?

Be so good to see all the MYT fleet in the full colour scheme!

Talking on which does anyone know how it is possible to find out which A/C in an airlines fleet will be painted next and when?

crewboi83
3rd Dec 2006, 19:55
fingers x it finally is... only G-BYTH left now? oh and 1 767 to be finished off
G-ERAA is off back to SSV for winter, think that was the only other aircraft to not have the full livery

TCX69
4th Dec 2006, 18:02
Yeah just BYTH and ERAA when/if it comes back next year. And yeah also DAJC with that vile incomplete livery. We've got SMTJ at BHX at the mo so fingers crossed GTDL is still in the paint shop!

Wodrick
5th Dec 2006, 08:58
TH was painted last week at EMA

Captain Smithy
15th Dec 2006, 10:54
Hi guys. Thought I would check out this forum for a bit of help... no doubt someone will know. Apologies to everyone if this is a bit of a sad question...

I was wondering if G-BYAN was still in service with ThomsonFly, and where she is based? She was the aeroplane I had my first flight in (July 1996, if I recall correctly), Glasgow - Palma (Majorca), and it started off my lifelong fascination in flying. It was Britannia Airways back then... kind of amazing to think I was only 9 years old at the time. Seems so long ago!

Anyways, I am just interested... saw some old holiday snaps the other day and it got me thinking.

Cheers

Smithy

britannialad
15th Dec 2006, 11:22
Hi yes AN is still with us but where its based i dont know could be anywhere!

Gertcha
15th Dec 2006, 11:43
I fly on her just less than a month ago, LGW-FUE. i take it that doesn't mean she's based at LGW though.

Captain Smithy
15th Dec 2006, 16:49
Hi yes AN is still with us but where its based i dont know could be anywhere!

Thanks mate. Good to hear it's still in service. Is it still in good condition? Think it was only a couple of years old when I was on it.

P.S. With reference to the MyTravel question above... I flew on ERAA to Tenerife in October. Nice aeroplane, but I still prefer Boeings:ok:

Cheers

Capt S

londonmet
17th Dec 2006, 12:19
Hello all,

Could anyone that knows please tell me how Monarch have based their A320 and A321's for next year? (Between LGW, LTN, BHX, MAN).

Many thanks,

L Met

SAM-EMA
17th Dec 2006, 17:19
If this is any help, but I'm sure that BHX will be 4 A321's next summer.

SAM-EMA

londonmet
17th Dec 2006, 17:26
Thank you.

Anyone know about MAN?

L Met

tangocharlie
17th Dec 2006, 20:06
MAN - 3 x A321; 3 x A320. Bound to change though....

mmeteesside
17th Dec 2006, 20:40
Should be an A320 based in EDI again!?

Vicarious
17th Dec 2006, 20:41
:confused: How come you're so curious, LondonMet?

-V

Vicarious
17th Dec 2006, 20:47
Ah, capeesh!
Welcome to the team :)

Mr @ Spotty M
17th Dec 2006, 21:43
mmeteesside.
A320 on ZB routes, EDI will be a B757, as the B757s will all be back in charter config for the summer.:ok:

Mr @ Spotty M
18th Dec 2006, 17:34
londonmet
Here are the provisional main fleet listings for Monarch during Summer 07.
A320
3 in MAN, 2 in LTN & 1 in LGW.
A321
4 in BHX, 3 in MAN, 2 in LTN & 2 in LGW.
B757
5 in LGW, 1 in MAN & 1 in EDI.
Hope this helps.:ok:

lukeylad
18th Dec 2006, 17:43
londonmet
Here are the provisional main fleet listings for Monarch during Summer 07.
A320
3 in MAN, 2 in LTN & 1 in LGW.
A321
4 in BHX, 3 in MAN, 2 in LTN & 2 in LGW.
B757
5 in LGW, 1 in MAN & 1 in EDI.
Hope this helps.:ok:

i noticed that the Monarch 767 was diverted into NCL today from MME on a trooping charter how long has it been doing that for?

Mr @ Spotty M
18th Dec 2006, 21:14
lukeylad
The A300, A330 & B767 have been doing trooping charters on and off for the last two months.:ok:

gms1991
7th Jan 2007, 19:33
Does anybody know how many aircraft are operating for Manx2 at the moment. I think its 4.

Could anybody shead any light on this please? I think they are operating 2 J31s, 1 Let410 and 1 Metro. Not sure though.

skiddyiom
8th Jan 2007, 07:57
Does anybody know how many aircraft are operating for Manx2 at the moment. I think its 4.

Could anybody shead any light on this please? I think they are operating 2 J31s, 1 Let410 and 1 Metro. Not sure though.

Current fleet is:

G-CCPW - J31
G-PLAJ - J31
OK-UBA - Let 410
D-CLAS - Metro.

The Metro occasionally has been D-CNAG.

Hope that helps

skiddy

captainyonder
8th Jan 2007, 08:56
What routes are the J31s operating?

skiddyiom
8th Jan 2007, 09:08
Not sure, but I think it's a mix'n'match sort of thing. Whatever is available on the day. I'll make some surrepticious enquiries and find out :hmm:
skiddy

captainyonder
8th Jan 2007, 10:05
Thanks Skiddy!

I know G-PLAJ is doing the IOM-LBA run, I suspect G-CCPW is doing the BHD then? I know BHD aren't keen on certain aircraft types using their field, I seem to remember FlyKeen were told to change their aircraft type from a EMB 110 at the earliest opportunity as BHD didn't think it was doing much for the airports business image. I'd imagine they are the same about BPS and their LET410 and possibly even Metro.

skiddyiom
8th Jan 2007, 12:30
Further to my last, a little bird tells me another Let, OK-RDA, will arrive on the island tomorrow afternoon. Routing BRQ-LGG-IOM, it should arrive around 14.30.
skiddy

virginblue
8th Jan 2007, 14:29
I suppose that "D-CLAS" should read "D-CSAL" ? To the best of ky knowledge, there is no Metro "D-CLAS" on the German register.

Anyway, FLM used to operate two Metros on behalf of German regional airline Dauair which went bancrupt last summer. Good to see that they found a new long-term contract.

skiddyiom
8th Jan 2007, 14:41
I suppose that "D-CLAS" should read "D-CSAL" ? To the best of ky knowledge, there is no Metro "D-CLAS" on the German register.
Anyway, FLM used to operate two Metros on behalf of German regional airline Dauair which went bancrupt last summer. Good to see that they found a new long-term contract.

Ooops!! The dreaded dyslexia fairy strikes again! :} But, I am vindicated by "ky" ! ;)

They both have stickers saying they are operated by FLM Aviation.

skiddy

fredtheanorak
12th Jan 2007, 17:30
Definitly is CSAL. Flew in it myself out of BLK to IOM few days ago when L410 wasnt oparating for some reason. Grate flight and cheap, Realy nice leather interior , cute captain:ok: (no I'm not gay, it was a fraulein):D but you wouldnt want to be a trolley dolley on a Metro!Noooossirr:eek:

Cavallier
2nd Feb 2007, 00:34
I have just read that BA are in the process of scrapping the older A320-100 series. Anyone know the histories of G-BUSB and G-BUSD, the approx age of them, hours etc? Also I wonder why BA could not have sold them on? Any thoughts..............

Thanks,
The Cav:cool:

treadigraph
2nd Feb 2007, 06:42
Cor, the old British Caledonian A320s - they'll be getting on for 20 years old now, I didn't imagine BA would still have them!

silverelise
2nd Feb 2007, 11:53

Maybe MCO is better for you as a skipper but as SLF I'd choose SFB over MCO every time. Much quicker to get through the airport and get on your way
at Sanford then all the fannying about retrieving your baggage once only to have to send it off again whilst you get a transit across to the other side of the airport and retrieve your baggage all over again. It can take hours from touchdown to pulling out of the car park at Orlando International.

WHBM
2nd Feb 2007, 12:33
I have just read that BA are in the process of scrapping the older A320-100 series. Anyone know the histories of G-BUSB and G-BUSD, the approx age of them, hours etc? Also I wonder why BA could not have sold them on? Any thoughts..............
They first flew Nov 87 and Feb 88 respectively, so both getting on for 20 years old.

BA have sold them on - to a parts dealer. I am sure this was the highest price that was offered for them, otherwise someone else would have got them. I presume it was time for a D-check which would have cost more than they were worth to BA. They have lasted longer in the BA fleet than many of the 757s did.

Conor.P.M
5th Feb 2007, 13:32
I fly out of Heathrow every Monday morning. Last Monday (29th Jan) I noticed a 777 parked outside one of the BA hangers (No idea what the designation for the hanger is, it's the first one you pass on the Eastern Perimeter Road coming from the Roundabout outside Hatton Cross Station) Nothing particularly unusual about that. What did seem odd was that there appeared to be plastic covering a number of sections of the leading edge of the Starboard wing.

Being outside the maintenance Hanger I thought nothing more of it. However on my way home on Friday I noticed it was still parked there, and again today (5th Feb). It would surprise me if BA had an aircraft sitting around for week doing nothing. Does anyone know if there's a reason why it been sat there for a week?

apaddyinuk
5th Feb 2007, 14:02
Probably because that aircraft is affectionatly known as G-VILE by the crew who operate in it!!!! :}

Maybe they are finally about to give it the overhaul it needs!!!

flybywire
5th Feb 2007, 17:24
It would surprise me if BA had an aircraft sitting around for week doing nothing. Does anyone know if there's a reason why it been sat there for a week?

G-VIIL is a 777-200 powered by GE90 engines and is based at LGW. I could be wrong but if I remember right it's a 3-class aircraft.
As far as I am aware this aircraft is going through some overhauling and was rostered to be off the schedule for some time, in fact a LHR-based 777 has been sent to LGW to replace it in the meantime. This is not an unusual thing, it has happened a few times before.

If you need more info I believe the guys in the spotters' forum have more details.

FBW :)

apaddyinuk
5th Feb 2007, 18:13
Ah but FBW....G-VIIL has been operating a fair few flights up at LHR in the last year. I have actually been on it twice since I transferred from LGW to LHR!!! And its still in bits! hehe!

Globaliser
6th Feb 2007, 08:06
Not very scientific, but a quick search of the downloads from this site (http://www.lhr-lgw.co.uk/) suggests that G-VIIL has been operating regularly from LHR during October, November and December, but not from LGW.

Mind you, is this really SLF forum material? ;)

Conor.P.M
6th Feb 2007, 08:22
Well as much as I'd like to believe that the 90+ flights I take a year qualified me to sit at the pointy end of the Aircraft, it seemed that SLF (for that is what I am) was the best Forum.

I was wondering if the protective sheets on the wing might suggest that G-VIIL had bumped into something it shouldn't have, it would explain why it's been parked in the same place for over a week now.

apaddyinuk, are you saying the interior is in need of a refit or that the actual airframe isn't as reliable as other in the fleet?

Cheers,
anotherpaddyinuk.

TopBunk
6th Feb 2007, 09:22
paddy is cabin crew. He/she may have an interest in the pointy end, but is not qualified to comment on airworthiness issues, imho.

cirrus01
6th Feb 2007, 11:10
Probably find that parts have been "Robbed " from this aircraft to keep another ( or several others ) flying......if VIIL was on maintenance anyway it is a easy source of parts , rather than going AOG for them. Problems do mount up if the robberies get out of control........also the recording of which part is where is complicated ( BA has a awfull computer system called EWS which is commonly known as Engineering Without Spares ............:mad: )

Can even get to the "Rolling Robbery " situation where the next hangar input aircraft is robbed to make the last one serviceable, and so on........

flybywire
6th Feb 2007, 11:38
Ah but FBW....G-VIIL has been operating a fair few flights up at LHR in the last year. I have actually been on it twice since I transferred from LGW to LHR!!! And its still in bits! hehe!

Well....that's as far as I know (company crewlink messages over the last couple of months).
However as for aircraft in bits, I can sympathise. I did a research on some of our 737s and one of them in particular (which is so knackered that is actually annoying me now) is almost as old as me and always in pieces in the hangar at LGW :uhoh: So I know the feeling!!! We have nicknames for some of them too.....all of them x-rated though :}

flybywire
6th Feb 2007, 11:40
( BA has a awfull computer system called EWS which is commonly known as Engineering Without Spares ............ )

Hahahahahahaha!! Thanks for that!!! PMSL :E :ok:

apaddyinuk
6th Feb 2007, 14:15
Damn, the tongue in cheek on this website is totally lost on some people!!!:}

Let me explain...the plane is in bits...e.g...inside nothing works, ovens knackered, bev makers knackered, IFE failing all the time. Carpets lifting at the edges, draughty, A/C packs noisy, stinky loos etc etc! The planes totally airworthy Im sure, Id hardly get on it if I had doubts! :yuk:

But I have reason to believe that the V regs may not be with us for too much longer. The Z regs are already on the way out!

Skipness One Echo
6th Feb 2007, 14:32
G-VIIL is under ten years old.......the oldest of the G-ZZZs is a 1995 build machine. Considering that BA flew the classics B747-100s from 1970 almost through to the Millenium, so what I wonder has changed? Were theold Jumbos really quite bad at the end or have the Triples not been getting enough TLC from the Hangar Jockeys? Also, the LGW ( second hand LHR ) based B737-400 fleet dates from 1992 ( AD not BC )which ain't that old in my book.
Mind you I am trying to arrange a flight on an A320-100 on the Shuttle quite soon and I understand that one of them has already gone to the great airport in the sky.
Er.... ground surely.
..........Lasham for "parting out", which sounds uncomfortably close to "putting down" somehow......

TopBunk
6th Feb 2007, 17:17
Paddy

So, where in posts #62 and #64 are the tongue-in-cheek emoticons?:confused:

Globaliser
6th Feb 2007, 17:18
Well as much as I'd like to believe that the 90+ flights I take a year qualified me to sit at the pointy end of the Aircraft, it seemed that SLF (for that is what I am) was the best Forum.I was simply wondering whether you might be more likely to get answers in Questions (http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67) or Spectators Balcony (http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52) - which is where I see it's now landed.

southender
7th Feb 2007, 15:34
Understand the problem with G-VIIL is corrosion in the tracks that support the slats, a problem that neither BA or Boeing has encountered before and therefore neither has a fix.

Will probably need to be worked by hand as there are no capable machine programmes to rectify the problem.

Could be the parking space will be occupied for some time.

Cheers

Southender

Dash-7 lover
15th Feb 2007, 21:02
Just arrived on stand 21 @ BHX 2245z 15/02 with a rather fetching design - VT-AXP

Tonic Please
18th Feb 2007, 19:31
Rumour at EGLL that BA are looking into this aircraft since it can fly from London to Sydney non-stop :ooh:

"apparently" (professional pilots RUMOUR network), because it can cruise much higher than the current -400, and in a sense, glide down, thus saving fuel.

Bit far fetched to me, but if anyone has some banter about this, it would be appreciated.

Regards

tristar500
18th Feb 2007, 19:54
Just buy the A340-500, A350 or A380... Problemo solved - I think... :E

(Make sure you get cheap leases, range guarentees, as well as crew training, fuel subsidies and a second-to-none spares deal first though) :ok:

pintofstella
18th Feb 2007, 20:12
May be EK might do that on the A380 with 2 pilots ,4 cabin crew, 1 crew meal, 650 pax and min rest. Sounds about right to me

chornedsnorkack
19th Feb 2007, 11:16
9200 nm is the great circle distance.

Does anyone know what the air distance is? Downwind on London-Sydney. And eastward across Americas Sydney-London, still downwind...

LGS6753
21st Feb 2007, 21:53
Just seen on Teletext that BA have confirmed an order for 4 more 777s, "after a contest between Boeing and Airbus" in which 30-40 aircraft were being considered. Reason given was standardisation.

Is this new news?:confused:

Artificial Horizon
21st Feb 2007, 22:06
As I understand it these aircraft that were ordered today that consist of 4 orders and 4 options are 'bridging' aircraft to enable some limited network expansion whilst the main bulk order is sorted. Management said to us a few months ago when this aircraft competition was announced that the main fleet replacement would eventually be an order totalling 40ish aircraft made up of either a mix of 777/787/747-800 or A330/A350/A380. As part of this process it was also announced that an initial small order of up to 10 aircraft would be completed to enable immediate expansion on the move to T5. As part of the announcment this morning it was also announced that the main order would be announced later in the year. Signs are good for BA, this means an expansion of the longhaul timetable and with 14 airbus confirmed orders for A320's yet to be filled it will require a number of new pilots over the next 18 months. Soin summary this order today is minor in the grand scheme of things but clearly shows the initial timetable to be on track and a much bigger order should be expected in around 6 months.

AlphaCharlie
21st Feb 2007, 23:41
BA Airbus A320 Order (http://www.airbus.com/en/presscentre/pressreleases/pressreleases_items/07_02_21_BA_A320_EN.html)
Also seems that they have another 4 A320 on the way as well.

akerosid
22nd Feb 2007, 06:03
The four new 777s are for delivery from 2009; what is the position with the 8 777s they apparently had on option, for delivery in/from 2008?

keel beam
22nd Feb 2007, 11:10
I vote for G-NAPS as the reg for the first aircraft :eek:

BYALPHAINDIA
22nd Feb 2007, 19:58
Or, G WILY, G WLSH :ugh:

Bus429
2nd Mar 2007, 08:19
Bit of a spotter's question here: I worked on G-MONB the day it arrived in the UK and then at various times over the next 14 years. I remember a Boeing working team commenting on the hours/cycles the aircraft had accrued when they came over to work on it a year or so after its entry into service.
What hours/cycles has G-MONB accrued to date?

Fuel Crossfeed
2nd Mar 2007, 10:08
Last figures I heard of, back in January were 29667 cycles and 80496 hours!!

Bus429
2nd Mar 2007, 12:18
Thanks, Fuel Crossfeed.

MarkD
8th Mar 2007, 15:09
There are 10-15 year A320s and B737s gone to the scrappers - it's how hard they are used rather than anno domini is the criterion, especially if the parts are worth more than the net value of the airframe coming up to heavy check.

As for the ZZZs - as nonER they are an orphan fleet and being BA aircraft they are probably customer modded up the wazoo. I think the Varig ex BA ZZZ is up for scrapping as no-one wanted it?

yachtno1
8th Mar 2007, 23:28
SAP= Sod All Parts..:eek:

apaddyinuk
9th Mar 2007, 03:15
Does one really need emoticons when trying a bit of tongue in cheek? Mods help me our here? Have I missed something!!!

As for the V regs, it has come to my attention in a rather round about way that a number of them indeed are on leases that will expire in the coming years. Namely the aircraft which contain the GMIS (I hope I got that right) IFE system. Well at least the reason the company are giving for not upgrading these aircraft with AVOD is simply because they will not be with the company long enough to justify forking out the conversion from the GMIS system to the Rockwell Collins one!!!
Make of that what you will!

BOAC
9th Mar 2007, 07:43
Just to cool this down a tad:

Topbunk - 'paddy' is probably better qualified than the 'pointy end' to comment on those issues.

'Paddy' - yes, use them! Not only does cynicism/sarcasm/wacky humour often pass folk by, but it can annoy. Always play safe.

On with the game: new stadium:)

yellowdog
11th Mar 2007, 10:10
Paddy,

From what I understand by talking to the engineers on the GMIS aircraft, is that the system is too incompatable with the new AVOD system to make it cost effective to change.

Don't know anything about the leases however. G-VIIS(GMIS) is only eight years old and surely wouldn't need replacing for years yet.

From what I understand the new B777 are gonna be used to exand the LH ops from LHR and eventually to replace the older B747 on some routes.

Hopefully we'll all get the new ClubWorld refit though.

YD

tubby linton
12th Mar 2007, 23:33
I saw a Virgin Nigeria A330 in LGW the other day.Is it new or pre-owned?What has happened to the A340?

LB1985
13th Mar 2007, 00:05
Virgin Nigeria have an A330 on lease from bmi. I expect this was the one you saw, unless they have also leased others.

tubby linton
13th Mar 2007, 09:08
I saw it the other morning and I could not see the registration.Are they BM crews operating it or VK?

Skipness One Echo
13th Mar 2007, 09:45
It's the Star Alliance BMI A330, G-WWBD.

tubby linton
13th Mar 2007, 13:08
Thank you all for your replies,so where has the 340 gone then?

elbarno
13th Mar 2007, 14:13
Virgin Nigeria 340 has just been repainted into Air Comet colours at Filton by Air Livery

22/04
13th Mar 2007, 21:42
Believe that the repainted aircraft is the ex G-VBUS.

G-VSUN will return to Virgin Atlantic after being refitted with the Upper Class Suite

I think Virgin Nigeria will be getting B767s in due course

tubby linton
13th Mar 2007, 23:02
Judging by the check-in queue the load always looks quite healthy.Why the switch to Boeing?

SkyTrax2
25th Mar 2007, 13:58
Hi,

Saw Globepsan's new B757-200 (G-CEJM) at Glasgow yesterday, had just been delivered at 0200 hrs from Keflavik and was away at 1030 hrs to Sanford via Bangor but made it back to Glasgow direct!

Here is a picture of her at the following link.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1191629/M/ (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1191629/M/)

Shame it doesnt have the winglets or the G's on the tail, the winglets would be a good idea for them given the long sectors they are planning to do!

Cheers
Skytrax2

GW76
25th Mar 2007, 14:03
And fitted only with Business class equivalent and economy seats ( not with premium economy as suggested elsewhere)

ICING AOA
25th Mar 2007, 14:18
(http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1191629/M/)http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1191629/M/ (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1191629/M/)
(http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1191629/M/)

on my computer screen I can see it in red :confused: , and it should be in pink, right ?

GW76
25th Mar 2007, 16:08
"it should be in pink, right ?"
Wrong. Red is correct.

Durango
26th Mar 2007, 16:37
I know that Virgin bought Alitalia's 747-400's back in 2001 but rumour has it that they have a few more mothballed somewhere in the desert, can anyone verify this?

Durango :cool:

WHBM
26th Mar 2007, 17:05
A spotters thread methinks.

Virgin did buy the delivery slots for the Alitalia 747-400s some years back but this was before, before the aircraft had even been manufactured.

There are still some 747-400s stored in the US (but not as many as there used to be) but none are Virgin's, all of which are in daily use.

Torquelink
27th Mar 2007, 12:43
I believe that the last three stored 744s, all ex-UAL, have now been sold and are to be converted into freighters - allegedly for World Airways.

Whitehatter
27th Mar 2007, 23:29
You may be thinking of the 747-200s that Virgin has in the boneyard.

If they are still there, that is. The ones which came from the likes of Saudi Arabian and Air New Zealand, in fairly recent VS colours.

G-LOST
10th Apr 2007, 20:09
You will find that most if not all of the ex Virgin ex ANZ 747-200s are now with Transaero in Russia...

hampshireandy
12th Apr 2007, 11:35
Hi, im just getting back into spotting after many years and wondered which is the best register/spotting book for the worlds airliners? The jp one seems to be the bible, if the price is anything to go by anyway but are there any cheaper alternatives maybe by midland counties or air britain etc? Im basically looking for a register listing every commercial aircraft in the world. Hope some of you can help, many thanks.

VFR Transit
12th Apr 2007, 11:37
Try Airfleets.net i use that and is very good covers old and new :ok:

VFR

hampshireandy
12th Apr 2007, 11:40
Thanks, is that just internet based though or do they do a book too? Its a book im looking for really.

Rhys S. Negative
12th Apr 2007, 12:13
Air-Britain have just published their annual Airline Fleets book. There is also a 'quick reference' version which I find very useful - much smaller and cheaper. Not allowed to link to their website but I'm sure you can find it (don't forget the hyphen!)

Rhys.

MATaxi
12th Apr 2007, 12:38
Have always used Airliners series from TAHS and never really had any complaints.Always get the hard cover/loose-leaf version though.

maverfick
15th Apr 2007, 20:00
Strictly a whisper, but is it true? What News?

Throat
15th Apr 2007, 20:52
The A330 is there new longhaul aircraft, but that ain't news ?

BlueA330
26th Apr 2007, 13:06
Expect quite a surprise at Luton on friday because Monarch will unveil one of their 757's in Flykandi livery . As they are starting flights to Ibiza from most of there bases this is to advertise a club i believe.

The tail is taken up by a picture of a woman clubber and different livery down the side . It should be quite different for Monarch.:cool: :rolleyes:

flyer55
8th May 2007, 12:41
Any truth out their on GB taken over by XL !

Cyrano
8th May 2007, 13:38
flyer55:
"GB taken over" seems a misleadingly definite title (i.e. you're announcing GB HAS been taken over) if all you're asking is "is there any truth to this rumour?" :rolleyes:

apaddyinuk
8th May 2007, 13:47
This would not be an assumption based on the fact that they have leased a 737 from them?

Latman
8th May 2007, 16:02
GB has leased a 737 from XL for the summer season due to increased flights,
WHERE DO THESE IDIOTS HEAR THESE RUMOURS.:confused:

go_edw
8th May 2007, 17:14
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5971298

They just shouldn't have bothered! What a bodge job........:ugh:

Angus Meecoat
8th May 2007, 17:21
Your right about the bodge. Saw it on Sun in FAO and the British Airways letters were underneath the windows and the wrong size. Don't know how recent this picture is or if they've fixed it since Sunday.

Paint dimensions on the tail are all wrong as well. Cause a few stirs in brands when they see it I'm sure.

homer09001
9th May 2007, 10:42
2 of their aircraft hit troubles at NCL Yesterday (8th May)
G-THOO goes tech after take off returns to newcastle departs an hour later, exact cause unknown, was destined for Alicante i believe.

one of their 757's grounded for a week or so after Alpha Flight Catering apparently Put a nice new hole in the side of the aircraft, registration unknown will try to get it tonight, it is currently parked remote.

World of Tweed
9th May 2007, 13:31
Yeap... a rather bad day for Tech issues at ThomSonfly (no P). Clearly our marketeers have done a great job with the new branding!

Last week poor Thomas Cook got lumbered with our birdstirke and this week it would seem the Local phone book has started an airline ;)

6in gash in fuselage of G-BYAS I believe. Aircraft ferried from other stations in the UK to maintain program.

homer09001
9th May 2007, 13:56
well word is going round at work that its stranded at NCL for a couple of weeks at least, and we are just kicking into the summer time table, and i reckon once it gets in full swing were gonna need that extra parking space.

Mr A Tis
9th May 2007, 14:36
I believe there is also a TOM B733 stranded at Manchester for over a week after being bashed with an airbridge.
Not a good start to summer for them.
Isn't "oo" new to TOM ?

homer09001
9th May 2007, 14:48
Not sure? its a 737 what version im not sure wasent paying that much attention

homer09001
9th May 2007, 14:58
no no :S i drive the transfer coaches and was coaching the 737 when it arrived back at NCL.

Talking about work, better get going or ill be late :uhoh:

corfiotpilot
9th May 2007, 15:57
G-THOO, isnt this one of the 737 winglets maybe?

forget
9th May 2007, 16:02
Life history -

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?cnsearch=29335/3094&distinct_entry=true

homer09001
9th May 2007, 22:44
G-BYAS I believe
correct is still sittin in the same spot as yesterday drove round it today it can't be that bigga hole i failed to see it.

there have been Thomson service vehicles around it all so im guessing they wanna get it airbourne ASAP

homer09001
9th May 2007, 22:46
Who acctualy owns G-THOO?

do Thomson own it or do they lease it from SkyEurope?

Marra123
9th May 2007, 22:50
Isnt the A/C with a hole in the side of it G-BYAW the same aircraft which had the birdstrike at MAN last week?

Mr @ Spotty M
10th May 2007, 05:09
Thomson own very few aircraft if any.
G-THOO will be on lease from one of the many leasing companies, SkyEurope would have returned it before TUI leased it in.:ok:

homer09001
10th May 2007, 09:53
oooo make sense now

homer09001
10th May 2007, 09:56
Isnt the A/C with a hole in the side of it G-BYAW the same aircraft which had the birdstrike at MAN last week?

no the one at newcastle is G-BYAS

B757-200
10th May 2007, 20:47
A bit of a coincidence because on January 15th i flew from Luton to Madeira on G-BYAW. Which as you'll know suffered a major bird strike months after meaning that the no.2 engine had to be repaced. And then on the 22nd January G-BYAS was used on the return flight from Madeira which i have now found out had a nasty gash in the fuselage. It's strange knowing that both 757s i was on for the complete trip have experienced unfortunate incidents! Also when i landed at Madeira the captain announced that all the water from our plane (G-BYAW) the galley had leaked onto the ground!

homer09001
10th May 2007, 20:56
what even more of a coincidence is both them 2 aircraft are infact 757-200 and your name is B757-200

ITS YOU, your a jinx

im in work in the mornin shall find out what hapenin with "AS"

does it not worry you that 2 of the last few aircraft you have flown on are both the same type as your name and have both succome to somewhat serious problems??

homer09001
10th May 2007, 21:01
Jet 2 have 9 757s now *i think* with 5 at Leeds 3 at Manchester and one at NCL

one at NCL, on a busy night there are normaly about 3 if its gonna be a busy day the next day they tend to have about 4-5 a/c at NCL, obviously that include the BAE146 for the gatwick route

In trim
11th May 2007, 19:04
I think it used to be leased out with Miami Air. Not a bad job for a temporary lease with decals.....at least they've removed most of the gold stripe (except over the instrument areas) to create a "close-to" BA livery.

cabot
1st Aug 2007, 11:02
Can anyone settle a dispute between a co-worker and myself with regards to the above airline..the point in question is does Flyglobespan own ANY of its aircraft or are they all leased.I have been hunting around for a website to answer this and reckoned on you guys knowing the answer.

diesel36
1st Aug 2007, 12:01
I think GSM own the 737-600 which they bought from SAS

The others are leased mainly using ILFC

LN-KGL
1st Aug 2007, 18:26
All Globespan aircraft are leased according to UK CAA GINFO
http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1&mode=summary&owner=globespan

Kurt

Mr @ Spotty M
1st Aug 2007, 20:43
Kurt, what makes you think that they are all leased, from the CAA info?

LN-KGL
1st Aug 2007, 22:16
All Globespan aircraft are listed as:
"Ownership Status: Chartered", not "Ownership Status: Owned"

Mr @ Spotty M
2nd Aug 2007, 05:07
Kurt, l would not put too much credit to "Ownership Status: Chartered".
My Airline owns most of it's fleet, but all show "Chartered".
It might mean that an aircraft is owned by a sub company and then chartered to the main company, in this case the airline.

LN-KGL
2nd Aug 2007, 07:54
Mr @ Spotty M, that's one of the drawbacks of GINFO. Many other official registries name both owner and operator when they are two different entities.
A good example of this is the Swedish registry database
http://www.luftfartsstyrelsen.se/templates/LS_LuftFartyg_Sok____35109.aspx

goks
3rd Sep 2007, 21:59
Hi All,

I'm new here but nevertheless read this forum allot. I love flying and pilotting but am rather in an industry far from it, telecoms.

Okay, i fly allot, luterally living off the suitecase. Being a malaysian and frequent MAS and Sq user, i am keen to know if insiders can share any news on MAS's fleet expansion.

I've stopped wanting to fly MAS on regional and middle east routes as i hate the 737 and A330s that done come with AVOD's, let alone any entertainment. For these routes, i fly SQ.

Any news on when we can hear any fleet upgrades on MAS, i think i have practically flown almost all the 747's and 777's, i think :) Am keen to see something new on MAS.

This weekend, for the first time i will fly the LAX-SQ economy premium flight, looking forward for the comfort but not the distance ....

Carry on the good job in this site and continue to talk, pilot talk seems very amusing to read!

Cheers,
Goks

ZFT
4th Sep 2007, 08:55
MasWings (part of MAS) have just ordered 10 X ATR 72-212A for domestic operations.

afterdark
4th Sep 2007, 23:52
Chartered is also referred to whilst payments are ongoing relevant to the purchase to whatever financial orginisation the aggreement is with.

could be leased, lease purchase, hire purchase or ownership used for bond security against loans the company has taken out.

jethro15
28th Sep 2007, 14:58
With Ryanair taking delivery of their 7th B738-8AS EI-DWE 36074 / 2391 this month at Dublin today, is this the highest number of new build a/c of any type ever to be delivered to an individual airline in a month?

jethro
UK ans Ireland Airline Fleet Listings
http://www.jethros.i12.com

DL93
4th Nov 2007, 01:49
does any one know where EA and EB are at these days??
or does any one know where i can get some shots of them,

Saxon Ops
4th Nov 2007, 10:54
DL93

EA is at Lasham and EB is at Southend. Both undergoing C check and return off lease maintenance.

Regards

Saxon Ops

DL93
5th Nov 2007, 00:21
thanks for the info mate!

does anyone have any pics of them down there???

mattdking
22nd Nov 2007, 18:38
does anyone know of what aircraft type travel city direct will be using in 2008 , i know the 747's are being stopped in november 2007 and then they will use XL 767's. But on wikipedia it says that they will be recieving new planes in 2008 anyone know what type they are gonig to be?

perkin
22nd Nov 2007, 18:47
Try searching, I think this has been done on the forum already, but I cant think where... :)

TSR2
22nd Nov 2007, 21:36
A330's and B767's of XL Airways.

The AvgasDinosaur
23rd Nov 2007, 12:55
Quote from TSR2
A330's and B767's of XL Airways.
As far as I can tell B767 Q4/07-Q1/08 A330 Q2-Q3/08 After that its a bit unclear. I think XL France are in the pot somewhere.
Be lucky
David

Joetom
3rd Dec 2007, 11:56
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2007/11/30/219981/pictures-qatar-takes-delivery-of-first-14-boeing-777-300ers.html
They have only had the 346 about 1 or 2 years ???

oceancrosser
3rd Dec 2007, 15:13
With the superior economics, the 773ER seems to be sending A346 off the market. At least sales appear to have stagnated.

bjones4
3rd Dec 2007, 15:25
They have only had the 346 about 1 or 2 years ???
The oldest is barely 15 months old, two arrived in September last year, one at the end of November and the fourth last march.

They are all more capable A340-600Xs too, for which Qatar was actually the launch customer.

Going back to 2004/2005 and looking over various bits of PR when the aircraft was entering it's final assembly and early flight test, it's increased range, now higher than the 77W, it's increased MTOW, also now higher than the 77W, and its almost identical payload capability to the 77W, was pinned as being enough to turn the tide of orders that the standard aircraft was losing, or at least keep the current customers coming back for more.

206Fan
3rd Dec 2007, 16:40
http://www.flycav.com/SN/Qatar773ER.png

alexmcfire
3rd Dec 2007, 21:27
My guess is that the crews will be tuned into training for the A380.

A300Man
9th Dec 2007, 05:36
Only ten more weeks of flying, and then G-MONB is off to some desert location to be parted out. She was the aircraft that heralded the "new" era for the Charter Market back in '82/'83, when the 757 first arrived in Europe in the (then new) Monarch colours.

G-MONB looked incredible in the new scheme of the time (attached image) and, I for one, still think that livery is far better than the current wavy-gravy one!

I am sure many of us will wish November Bravo a fond farewell when the time comes to leave the fleet. She has served Monarch well and assisted to pioneer longer routes that were unthinkable in the stable of 737's that most operators had at the time. The 757, for me, is the sleekest and most beautiful aircraft ever built, and -NB's twin cheatlines made it look even more elegant.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=0302144&WxsIERv=Obrvat%20757-2G7&Wm=0&WdsYXMg=Zbanepu%20Nveyvarf&QtODMg=Sneb%20%28SNB%20%2F%20YCSE%29&ERDLTkt=Cbeghtny&ktODMp=Abirzore%202002&BP=0&WNEb25u=Cnhyb%20pneinyub&xsIERvdWdsY=T-ZBAO&MgTUQtODMgKE=&YXMgTUQtODMgKERD=426&NEb25uZWxs=2002-12-14%2000%3A00%3A00&ODJ9dvCE=&O89Dcjdg=22780%2F15&static=yes&width=1000&height=652&sok=JURER%20%20%28nvepensg_trarevp%20YVXR%20%27Obrvat%20757% 25%27%29%20NAQ%20%28nveyvar%20YVXR%20%27Zbanepu%20Nveyvarf%2 5%27%20BE%20nveyvar%20YVXR%20%27Hagvgyrq%20%28Zbanepu%20Nvey varf%29%25%27%20BE%20nveyvar%20YVXR%20%27Plcehf%20Nvejnlf%20 %28Zbanepu%20Nveyvarf%29%25%27%20BE%20nveyvar%20YVXR%20%27Pb zcnff%20Nveyvarf%20%28Zbanepu%20Nveyvarf%29%25%27%29%20%20be qre%20ol%20cubgb_vq%20QRFP&photo_nr=594&prev_id=0303591&next_id=0298846&size=L

qwertyuiop
9th Dec 2007, 05:49
We at Monarch have been told it will remain in the fleet till the end of summer 08.

akerosid
9th Dec 2007, 08:53
I recall that on its delivery flight, it landed at LGW at 07.57.

Just wondering how many hours that acft must have accumulated over its career; given its age (24 years) and charter utilisation (4k+ hrs per annum), it can't be far short of 100k, if not over it?

Bealzebub
9th Dec 2007, 09:02
I should have paid more attention when I filled the tech log in, but as of this weekend it was around 86k (I think). High mileage but one carefull owner.

( First I have heard about it leaving in 10 weeks time ! )

IcePack
9th Dec 2007, 10:34
1st UK etops a/c to boot. Modified by Boeing at the time to comply with the proposed requirements at the time. A pioneer you could say.

Mr @ Spotty M
9th Dec 2007, 11:03
Sorry "A300Man", but you are talking a load of B******s.
Some of us that work at Monarch have the latest info on what is going to happen to the old girl.
In late January it is going into the hangar at Luton for a "4C" check only to appear around March and go back into service.
Around October/November it will finish flying with Monarch and be returned back to the leasing company which has owned it for the last few years.
It will be converted into a freighter after it leaves Monarch, it might end up parked up in the desert for a short time, until it's booked time slot at where ever the conversion is due to take place .:{

A300Man
9th Dec 2007, 12:54
Gentlemen,

No need to be so harsh, if you don't mind. I was merely quoting from another "reputable" website and, if I got it wrong, I apologise sincerely. No mislead was intended. I literally quoted line for line.

It appears the intent and sincerity of my original post (i.e. to pay homage to a formidable pioneering aircraft, G-MONB) has all but been lost, due to the fact that some of you have decided to start throwing stones.

Not a load of "B******s", but a genuine mistake!!

Anyway, I still take my hat off to G-MONB.

Tempsford
9th Dec 2007, 13:59
A300 Man,
I agree with you that it is a shame that some on here insist on putting others down. It is hoped that they do not mean to do so. Mr @ Spotty M you are remarkably well informed (as always, I note), but please do not belittle those who aren't.
I was a 'Liney' at LTN working on Monarch 720 when NB landed at 07:57. It had flown direct from Boeing. When one saw that very sleek, modern aircraft alongside the 720 you realised that we had moved into the new age and for once, Monarch was up there with the leading the UK Charter Airlines. We had seen Britannia with the 737 and Court Line with the the Tristar. Now it was our turn.
The move to take the B757 was a major contributor to Monarch's survival in a very competitive market and a very shrewd one made when we still had Bristol Britannias!. We were also in the leading pack regarding EROPS. Overcoming the 'if it ain't got four engines...' school of thought was hard work, but look at the situation now, few even bat an eyelid when they board a two engined aicraft for a long flight (few know what EROPS is).
Well done Boeing for producing such a superb aircraft and well done Monarch for its usual understated involvement in operating G-MONB so successfully for so long.
Temps

brakedwell
9th Dec 2007, 14:16
GBKRM was Europe's first 757, arriving at the same time in early 83. I wonder where it is now.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/sedgwickjames/Tech%20Details/GBKRM1983.jpg

jethro15
9th Dec 2007, 15:37
Can I just take this opportunity to advise that due to severe bandwidth restrictions imposed at its last location, jethros UK and Ireland Airline Fleet Listings can now be found at its new home of:

http://www.jethros.dwsitech.com

jethro

Liffy 1M
9th Dec 2007, 16:15
GBKRM was Europe's first 757, arriving at the same time in early 83. I wonder where it is now.

It seems to be going strong as a sports charter aircraft. Here's a very recent picture:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6119935&nseq=0

brakedwell
9th Dec 2007, 17:39
Very smart. Looks like it still has the C engines.

Mr @ Spotty M
9th Dec 2007, 17:55
Sorry "A300Man" l did not mean to offend, if you had pointed out that you had read what you had posted, l would not have bit your head off.
I would have pointed out that you were ill informed, but it came over as you were informing us.
Once again sorry, you will have to wait for the parting out of some of Monarch's B757s with "NC & ND" due to be the first in the not to distant future.:sad:
Sorry "Liffy 1M" looks if your info is incorrect, checked two different sources and this is what l have found for delivery dates, these may be date left Boeing or into UK.
G-BIKB was the first in Europe on 25/01/83, followed by "KC" on the 31/01/83, then "KD" on 10/03/83, then good old "NB" on 22/03/83, then "KA" 28/03/83 and into 6th place what would have been "KE" but became G-BKRM on 30/03/83.:ok:

A300Man
9th Dec 2007, 18:03
No worries, Mr. @. Thanks for your explanation.

I believe you are indeed correct about the BA machine G-BIKB being the first 757 in Europe (proudly wearing the "British" titles, and named Dover Castle, was it?).

My first outing on a BA 757 was G-BIKK. Will never forget how it soared like a rocket when compared to the 732, with which I had had more experience up until then.

I love the 757.

brakedwell
9th Dec 2007, 18:13
I flew GBKRM at Moses Lake on the 31st March 1983 (1179), the first time it had been flown by Air Europe pilots. We returned to UK in it on the 6th of April.
GBIKF was operated by AE during the 1983 summer season.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/sedgwickjames/Tech%20Details/GBIKF.jpg

Liffy 1M
9th Dec 2007, 18:51
Sorry "Liffy 1M" looks if your info is incorrect, checked two different sources and this is what l have found for delivery dates, these may be date left Boeing or into UK.
G-BIKB was the first in Europe on 25/01/83, followed by "KC" on the 31/01/83, then "KD" on 10/03/83, then good old "NB" on 22/03/83, then "KA" 28/03/83 and into 6th place what would have been "KE" but became G-BKRM on 30/03/83.

Mr @ Spotty M, I didn't post information about delivery dates!

f27bmaw
10th Dec 2007, 13:52
Hello

I have fond memories of both KA and NB from my days plane spotting around the Midlands in the early 80s.

My first visit to Heathrow was early in April 1983. By public transport it was a long (and expensive journey) and I remember rushing up and onto the Queen's Building roof to be amazed at the large numbers of exotic aircraft in front of me, There were two that immediately caught my eye as they queued for take off - an Aeroflot IL-62 and then a rather strangely shaped BA machine, G-BIKA, which took off after the Ilyushin. I had only just developed my interest in aircraft then, and this machine intruiged me - I didn't see it again, although I was at the airport all day (I thought when the 757 was first introduced it was used on the domestic routes), and there were no other similar aircraft present.

About a month later, one Sunday morning I visited East Midlands, my usual haunt. Bad weather in the South East meant that as well as Monarch 1-11 G-AWWZ the apron was also graced by G-MONB. Although it wasn't as much graced by NB as dominated by it, as it was much bigger than anything else that was around, and it gave me my first opportunity to appreciate the what I thought were very futuristic looks of the 757.

Both the 1-11 and the 757 later positioned back to Luton. I will never forget how the NB seemed to use hardly any runway at all and it was virtually silent compared to WZ.

It was a good visit that day because, as well as the two Monarchs, a BA 1-11 rolled in on a charter flight (back then a Birmingham based 1-11 was used on charters out of East Midlands during the weekend), while Orion also sent 737-300 G-BLKB which was the first -300 I saw and which, later that summer, was to become the first aircraft I ever flew on.

Whenever I see a Monarch 757 I now hope it is NB, and it always reminds me of those heady days back at East Midlands.

compton3bravo
10th Dec 2007, 17:53
I think you will find that it landed at Monarch’s headquarters at Luton in March 1984 with Operations Director Don McAngus at the helm. I know because I was there!

Mr @ Spotty M
10th Dec 2007, 17:57
Typo "compton3bravo", should read 1983.

red 5
10th Dec 2007, 19:34
I would just like to add a few corrections to some of the statements ref NB, the aircraft was delivered on the 23rd March 1983 to luton landing at 07.57 as stated by Mr Tempsford. I like everyone else in the company were standing outside of the hangar that morning waiting anxiously for the aircraft to arrive, and what a magnificent site it was. Of course the most exciting part of the day was trying to see if it would fit in hangar 7/8, although technically they measured it should fit it wasn't till we tried it that we could see how tight it was and still is. Also reference the first ETOPS aircraft, in fact out of the 6 757 aircraft that Monarch converted to ER config, NJ,NK,KE,JB & NE. NB was not the first choice, G-DRJC was the logical choice but the owner ILFC did not want it altered, therefore as the company had already commited to a very heavy Orlando programme and needed six aircraft NB reluctantly became the next aircraft to be converted. The reason the company did not want to convert NB to ETOPS standard was due to the fact that being such an earlier build aircraft, the amount of modifications involved including major changes to the equipement cooling system was far more extensive than later build aircraft. However the task was completed and it has been a far better aircraft compared to NC (my initials) & ND. Although i do not work for Monarch anymore, i spent a very happy and memorable 16 years working and flying many times on NB and all the others in the fleet and it will be a sad day when those old ones are laid to rest. They certainly made me and the company a lot of money.

GAZIN
10th Dec 2007, 21:32
I have always thought that the 757 is a rather strange looking plane, but it is undoubtedly a very good aeroplane.
I think G-MONB has a special status among British registered 75's. It's old & was the first of a type that really transformed the reputation of the holiday charter airlines.
Because of this I was moved to take picture of MB on a rescent visit to Man. I now have two pics of MB the first was taken in 1984.

http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/2a00Iwf6Uevw6Y5Ks2oxCKRs1lNsrgJTePmjv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

BYALPHAINDIA
11th Dec 2007, 21:13
Yes it will be a very sad day when MONB retires from MON.:sad:

I grew up watching MONB.

Still, I would be happy to think that she will still be flying, Even if not in the UK, Rather than being doomed to dust.:=

I wouldn't have thought she had a large amount of Airlife left??

I wonder how many PMI's she has done in 24 years??:D

Ill tell you what, When she does however get doomed to dust, I wouldn't mind a piece of her for my collection.:D

BYALPHAINDIA
11th Dec 2007, 21:15
I just hope MON will do a pleasure flight when she retires.

You can count me in.:ok:

OEIHP
14th Dec 2007, 18:29
I believe Jets DC-8 is being scrapped in the States.Ferry may have been today?Sad to see this bird go!

tintintin
3rd Feb 2008, 14:36
LTU and Air Berlin have merged in a new company. Today the first A330 in a new c/s arrived at DUS. Former LTU a/c is still wearing his previous registration.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1323911&size=L

Looks good! :ok:

TCX69
3rd Feb 2008, 22:43
LTU have also painted a first A321 into the new Air Berlin colours.
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6164279

TCX69
5th Feb 2008, 00:02
Have noticed that some of the ex-Maersk a/c have been repainted into Sterling livery. However now carry Sterling.eu titles on the tail also and not the 2 hearts. The most recent a/c to be painted OY-MRJ has Sterling.com titles. Does anyone know what is going on with their livery?

They have a/c with Sterling.eu, Sterling.com, Sterling.dk and Sterlingticket.com!

Seems like an identity crisis!

IRISHPILOT
16th Feb 2008, 18:38
OK-FAN, OK-FUN

The aircraft had been parked since 10/05 in PRG, have been towed away now. For what? any ideas? Maybe for the Seagle Air operation out of PRG?

cheers IP.

mathers_wales_uk
2nd Mar 2008, 14:20
Does anyone know if a 146 is operating on behalf of Aer Arann? A m8 said he spotted a 146 operating the ORK from BRS.

CorkEICK
2nd Mar 2008, 15:07
Yes Its spanish registered

eirbus06
2nd Mar 2008, 15:13
Ec-jvj. Bae 146-300

EI-BUD
2nd Mar 2008, 16:13
It's operated by a spanish company from Madrid called orionair, web addresd orionair.es

I flew Kerry/Dublin last Tuesday morning on board this machine. In the WC it had Ansett Australia branding! So that tells a tail about where its been. It was a nice plane but there was limited leg room!

Overall they were good. The crew were all Spanish (or from Orionair except 1 cabin crew who was Aer Arann employed). THere was at least 80 on board the flight, and Re were using a bigger plane due to the demand that was as a result of a conference in Killarney on the previous day. Well that was part of it!

Going down it on the Sunday (last Sunday) was an ATR72 which was full.

I think Kerry Dublin does ok, not surprising Ryanair want onto the route!

mathers_wales_uk
2nd Mar 2008, 18:15
Thank you very much for all your info. Does anybody know how long it is to be wet leased for?

How many a/c do RE have wet leased at the moment? Is this due to technical issues as well as leasing EIREL to a finnish carrier?

mw744
3rd Mar 2008, 13:20
Can someone tell me about the bmi mainline fleet:
How many A319s A320s and A321s there are?
How come the repainting of the BMED planes takes so long?
Is it right that the A321s that were on order for BMED will still
be taken on by bmi when they are ready?

Just curious, Thanks for info !

jedigtr
3rd Mar 2008, 15:35
From memory we have the following;

A321 7
A320 13
A319 11
A330 3

The ex BMED a/c will be painted as and when they go in for maintenance (normally C checks)

And yes, the a/c on order for BMED will be taken on by bmi

en2r
10th Mar 2008, 00:19
Aer Arann seem to have swopped the aircraft on Lease in Finland. EI-REM left Cork for Helsinki on Saturday Afternoon while EI-REL arrived back in Cork from Helsinki on Saturday night.

db7
10th Mar 2008, 22:20
Was on EI-REL on Friday and the cabin crew mentioned that the plane would be swapped on Saturday. Crew seemed to be enjoying flying the internal Finnish flights.

tintintin
14th Mar 2008, 19:16
First B767 in full TCX c/s has left paintshop today at MST (Netherlands). On saturday 15/03 the a/c is heading MAN.
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Thomas-Cook-Airlines/Boeing-767-31K-ER/1336187/L/ (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Thomas-Cook-Airlines/Boeing-767-31K-ER/1336187/L/)

:ok:

Cheers,