PDA

View Full Version : Gulfstream contract/ new trend?

BD-100
5th Nov 2006, 09:08
Saw this add recently:
A Malaysian company is looking for experienced Falcon 900 and Gulfstream IV commanders (Minimum 5000 hrs) to join their Kuala Lumpur based operation.
Duty period is 6 weeks on, 3 weeks off .

Is this what we can expect as the new norm? Sounds a bit much to me 6 on / 3 off (maybe if you are single it could work)

What do you think?

I am considering going for a "commuting" job but compared with what is on offer elsewhere doesn't sound like a good deal. (2 on 2 off Russia or 1 month on / 1 month off ( Middle east) I am wondering if this is where the industry is heading.Would hate to find myself on this kind of schedule a couple years down the road.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

LRdriver II
5th Nov 2006, 10:11
6 on/3 off...haha.. they can shove that job. Thats waaay to long to be away from home to have any semblance of "quality of life"

Not a question of where the industry is heading but up to us to prevent it going down the toilet like the Airlines are rapidly going. Besides nobody is forcing you to take a job like that, and everybody has the right to laugh in their faces, tear up the draft and walk out.

FLEXJET
5th Nov 2006, 16:09
Positions are for 9M-ABC (a 96' IV-SP)and HB-IFQ (a 92' 900B).

One of the requirements is to be a swiss citizen.

Good luck !

BD-100
5th Nov 2006, 17:51
Maybe I should clarify; I am not really interested in this particular job. The conditions are just wrong. However what if I take a nice 2 on / 2 off job and when that contract ends find out the norm has become 6 on/ 3 off. It would be a shame to give up a not so bad job to find myself holding the short end of the stick a couple of years down the road.

Nobody has a crystal ball, just seems I see more and more jobs with deteriorating conditions.

Itswindyout
5th Nov 2006, 17:54
I think you will find it is Malaysian Air Services, and perhaps the X Jet Club G4. as they were operating the ABC.

6/3 is not an unusual rotation, IJM from Vienna were on this as of a short while ago, but as there rotations are rather unpredicable, they might be 4/4.

6/3 actually does suit many people, and I have worked it many times.
I am not Swiss, neither do I speak many languages.

But until they publish a contact E mail address that works, I suggest send all CV,s to Jet Club Zurich.

Windy

Heartbraker
27th Dec 2006, 12:30
6 and 3 is not advisable for anyone trying to stay married.. and the 6 on may become 7 depending on operations wishes..I hear their salaries are not very competitive either..1 month on 1 month off is standard now, anything more needs some incentive I say. btw, if you read the ad, it is asking for Swiss nationals..can't imagine why, except for the languages.

Green Cactus
27th Dec 2006, 14:12
THis new contract is an improvement on the original one. The old one was 8 and 4.

Just so you know, training is done in your 3 off.....

Still compared to some operators (my previous one) it is a pretty good deal.

I am not working for them but I've looked at it.

Gulfstreamaviator
27th Dec 2006, 14:52
I am not Swiss, and only speak 10 languages, and 10,000 hrs on type.

Still 6 and 3 suits me.

But perhaps i will not bother to apply.

GlfA

4HolerPoler
27th Dec 2006, 18:07
FIG JAM alert. ;)

4HP

Itswindyout
28th Dec 2006, 11:12
can you take medication for FIG JAM.......is it curable....

Doodlebug
28th Dec 2006, 15:25
BD

I know more people with equal time on/ off schedules than with these 6 and 3, 8 and 4 gigs being mentioned here. Thought that was the trend now, not vice-versa? :confused:

Bug

FlyMD
28th Dec 2006, 17:05
I've worked for this MJS operation for 2 years on the F900B. Essentially, they are offering 2 very different jobs:

On the G4, you will fly mostly corporate people worlwide, with quite a few days off in Kuala Lumpur. You get decent accomodation in KL, so you should actually move the center of your life there.. Then the 3 weeks off after 6 weeks duty will seem more like holiday than time off..

On the F900, you will fly for the "big boss" himself, a self-made billionaire who spends about half his time in Europe, the other half in Southeast Asia with some occasional trips to Oz or some such... It can happen that the Falcon stays for up to 8 month in a row in Europe, while the boss actually airlines back to KL while his plane stays... So u never know when u leave KL if u will be back next week or next year.. The airplane does not exceed 350 hours per year, the destinations are ok (lots of time in southern France and Switzerland), but the lifestyle is definitely not for family guys...

Salary wise, the figures are rather low for the present market (roughly 110'000 US gross per year), but consider that the pay is completely tax free, and that accomodation is provided in KL.. i used to make it on my per diem (100 US per day when away for KL) and save my salary for leaner times..

While the guys at MJS are generally a fun bunch, the so-called "managing director" of the company is four feet of pure chinese poison. A rarely potent blend of arrogance and incompetence, this "lady" was the main reason i decided to call it quits after 2 years... she will actively try to make your life miserable, for example by nickel-and-diming the crew on hotel accomodations..

The principal customer has ordered a Falcon 7x, which should join the fleet anytime between the end of 2007 to the beginning of 2010.. What effect this fleet upgrade will have on the various crew involved is unclear..

All in all not the worst job in the world by far, if you go with open eyes and a sense of humor..

feel free to PM me with specific questions.

Gulfstreamaviator
29th Dec 2006, 14:35
so not considered suitable. never mind....

PicMas
29th Dec 2006, 16:55
Same M.D. that runs Malaysian Flying Academy??
If thats the case I'd stay well clear, the (in)ability to pick absolutely useless management is beyond explanation.

GTJDS
31st Dec 2006, 05:47
6 and 3, 8 and 4 is definately the way it is going like it or not.

Margarita
31st Dec 2006, 08:29
It's great that we live in the free world and therefore you can keep your job.

Doodlebug
31st Dec 2006, 13:37
Hear, hear! Tell 'em, Margharita! :}