PDA

View Full Version : Sixth Form Scholarship

Wng Cdr Pez
4th Nov 2006, 18:59
Hey guys,
I have wanted to fly in the RAF since the age of 4. Living near Scampton the Red Arrows are really proving to be an inspiration and everyday I seem more eager. With not long to go till I apply for my Scholarship I was wondering whether there are any tips from any one. All would be much appreciated.

(And has anyone got the dvd on how2become because someone told me it was a dodgy site sooo.....)

Cheers

GipsyMagpie
4th Nov 2006, 21:18
Read a broadsheet newspaper, know what the training is, know how much you'll earn, now how to do speed distance time off the top of your head, have superb sense of humour (v important).

Chugalug2
4th Nov 2006, 22:59
Hi WCP!
Like GMP I too was lucky enough to get one, vital in my case for without it I would have had to leave school and forget about being a pilot. So many years ago that I remember little, and little of that would, no doubt, be relevant today. I do remember that I was asked if I had a hero, and who it was, also if I did become an officer what rank I would hope to reach. Strangely I remember my answers, Douglas Bader and Group Captain ( I made Flt Lt, but they weren't to know that!). I failed the selection but was invited to try again next time, I did and passed. If you live and breathe flying and the RAF, know its history, have read up every news story, can be yourself, but show your passion to become an RAF officer, and want this more than anything, then you will succeed. Good luck with your application and your career!

Roadster280
5th Nov 2006, 00:37
Can only second the advice re current affairs, service history etc. I got the Army Scholarship (it was 20 years ago mind). I recall being asked "draw me a sketch map of Israel and its borders. Mark the major cities."

Some advice:. 1. Stick to your guns at interview, no matter how daunting it may be. I was grilled by a crusty old brigadier at Old College, Sandhurst on the merits of women in the military, and how I would have reacted had I been in the Wehrmacht, and given an illegal order in WW2. If the Board president makes it clear you are talking bollox though, let it go.

2. If you pass, (in my time, the odds against this were ridiculously high, I'm sorry to say), then repay the RAF with dedication to your studies. I didn't, and preferred to wallow in the misery of my parents' divorce. My Scholarship was withdrawn in light of poor school reports. Cheers Mum & Dad. Do not be deterred, in a mere two years time, you will break the apron strings and enter Cranwell. I didnt have what it took then, but looking back, what wouldnt I give to be in your shoes again!

3. If you don't pass, then don't take it to heart and abandon all hope. I joined up as a soldier, and had a fulfilling 10 years, and left 5 years ago. My military experience got me a great job, and I am (salary wise) far better off than if I had retained my Scholarship and been commissioned.

Good luck, and don't let them grind you down.

scottyhs
5th Nov 2006, 10:35
Hiya mate,

I got a scholarship last year for My current school year (year 13) and have got to go back to cranwell soon for DE selection. If you give me a PM i will email you some info i collected.

Scott

will fly for food 06
5th Nov 2006, 10:48
I was awarded a 6th form and flying scholership. Good luck and just make sure you want a career in the RAF from such a young age.

Pontius Navigator
5th Nov 2006, 20:46
GMP, are these the missing messages? Curious that Wng Cdr Pez posted on two threads. Also, given the usual sytle we get I note the punctuation and capitalization is quite good and only a couple of apostrophes missing in the first post.

The first post at 1948 on 4 Nov was:

Hey guys,
I have wanted to fly since the age of 4 and have got about 10 months until I apply for my sixth form scholarship. I have just started to go running on a morning and am working really hard in school. Any tips would be much appreciated as im already really nervous about it.

Ive started some research into what happens but the RAF never give you the proper insight into things. They always leave some stuff out.

The second post at 1959 was:

I have wanted to fly in the RAF since the age of 4. Living near Scampton the Red Arrows are really proving to be an inspiration and everyday I seem more eager. With not long to go till I apply for my Scholarship I was wondering whether there are any tips from any one. All would be much appreciated.

(And has anyone got the dvd on how2become because someone told me it was a dodgy site sooo.....)

Fish anyone?

Professor Plum
6th Nov 2006, 08:27
I don't think he's fishing.

I think the first post was posted in the Interviews and jobs forum. It looks like the mods moved it here (have a look in the interviews and jobs forum). He then (by the looks of things) posted on this forum too.

I also don't understand why someone would go fishing with regards to tips for OASC.

scroggs
6th Nov 2006, 15:56
One of the two threads has now been deleted; I hadn't noticed that it had been duplicated.

Scroggs

JAG3
6th Nov 2006, 17:14
Good Luck and show your passion.:ok: