PDA

View Full Version : Telephone oddity

frostbite
4th Nov 2006, 14:27
My apologies, SD, if this doesn't belong in here.

I discovered, by chance, that dialling my home number, it rang another unknown number. Even dialling the number on my home phone resulted in ring tone instead of the engaged tone which should have been heard,

On contacting BT, I was told "there was a call divert on there, we've taken it off".

No idea why this happened or how long it's been in place. Should I be worried?

ShyTorque
4th Nov 2006, 16:31
I had a similar thing a few years ago when my house was let to tenants whilst I lived abroad.

I came back to the UK and needed to speak to the new tenants who had a problem with a failing built-in freezer. I rang my "home" telephone number on my mobile and had a conversation with the tenant, no problem.

However, I rang again a week later, only to get a "number unobtainable" tone. I got BT to investigate and they advised me that my previous tenant, on moving out over a year before, had cancelled the line (and nicked the phone, which I owned). A new number had been put on the line when the new tenant moved in, at his expense.

What was and still is, completely unexplained, is that I had no idea about this and the original number worked in the first instance! BT said it wasn't theoretically possible, but it certainly happened.

Saab Dastard
4th Nov 2006, 16:46
No idea why this happened or how long it's been in place. Should I be worried?

I would be more worried about your social life if you don't know how long it's been going on! :p

My wife gets twitchy if no-one has called her for half a day!

Do BT have any record of when it was done, by whom and from where? Presumably they can tell you the number to which it was diverted?

SD

frostbite
4th Nov 2006, 16:52
Do BT have any record of when it was done, by whom and from where? Presumably they can tell you the number to which it was diverted?
SD

No, no, and no!

Only spoken to the 151 operator, who managed to switch the diversion off from his computer, and in fact he asked me what number it was going to!

Don't know whether to complain further or just forget it.

airborne_artist
5th Nov 2006, 19:34
Can't answer you problem, but imagine my surprise when after our BT line had been literally ploughed up by Farmer Giles, we were not getting any calls, nor could I access 1571 from my home office line. Calls out went fine, and I made a few lengthy calls to the US that evening.

Following day BT told me the pairs had all been muddled up on repairing them - so I'd mad about £10 of calls on my neighbour's line and bill. :E

Moral - dial 17070 after a repair by BT, and the auto-voice will tell you the line number.