PDA

View Full Version : Angel Flight founder honoured

Flying Lawyer
4th Nov 2006, 09:05
http://www.gapan.org/images/guild.gif

The Australian Bi-Centennial Award
Established by the Guild as an ongoing commemoration of the Australian Bi-Centenary, is to recognise an outstanding individual contribution to Australian aviation.

Awarded to: BILL BRISTOW

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/FlyingLawyer/BillBristow.jpg
Bill Bristow receives his award from Lord Stevens

Citation:

In a country the size of Australia, light aircraft are still the only effective means of reaching those people who live in the remote areas, a fact recognised in the 1920s with the founding of the Royal Flying Doctor Service to provide medical evacuation for seriously ill patients and to enable doctors to treat less critical patients in their areas where there were no medical services. Angel Flight extends this concept and fills a gap for the transport of people who are not critically ill whose access to medical facilities or need for other compassionate travel cannot be met by other means.

From stories told by his friends living in remote areas, and through his association with the Royal Flying Doctor Service, Bill Bristow was acutely aware of the extreme hardship experienced by rural communities and the potential risk placed on their health when living away from the major metropolitan centres. In 2003, Bill established Angel Flight as a not-for-profit operation to co-ordinate non-emergency flights for patients and families around Australia in medical and financial need. The operation is highly regarded and demonstrates a socially responsible use of light aircraft for charity work. Angel Flight services are entirely free to patients and carers.

Angel Flight pilots donate their time, their skills and the bulk of their aircraft costs for each flight. The volunteer pilots and aircraft owners’ flight credentials meet the requirements of CASA and the aircraft meet specified CASA and insurance minimums. The pilots do not carry aeromedical staff or medical equipment and do not act as an alternative to the Royal Flying Doctor Service or Air Ambulance in that capacity.

Since 2003 the number of volunteer pilots registered with Angel flight has increased from 88 to nearly 1,300 nationwide. Very soon 1,100 flights will have been completed, helping over 700 patients, carers and family members, receive non-emergency medical or humanitarian help. To date around 35% of flights have taken place from rural New South Wales, 30% Victoria, 25% Queensland, 5% South Australia, 3% Western Australia and 1% in Tasmania and Northern Territory.

For his outstanding individual contribution to Australian aviation, Bill Bristow is awarded the Australian Bi-Centennial Award.

The Award was presented at a ceremony in London last week, attended by more than 500 pilots from all over the world.
More details here: Trophies & Awards Banquet (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=249880)

Other awards here: Awards (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=250869)

Link: Guild of Air Pilots (http://www.gapan.org/)

Tudor Owen

tail wheel
4th Nov 2006, 09:30
One has to live in rural Australia to truly appreciate the services provided by the RFDS, Angel Flight and the Air Ambulance services.

Very worthy recognition of a wonderful humanitarian organisation! :ok:

fulmar
4th Nov 2006, 10:05
I had the pleasure of sitting next to Bill and his lovely wife at the RVAC 80th birthday bash last August. The RVAC raised, I think, around $10,000 for Angelflight. An absolutely fascinating story as to how he came to get Angelflight up and running. Founder of a highly successful ad agency and a keen pilot (PC12 owner) Bill one day realized that he could use his skills and his aircraft for a better purpose.
Just so all of you understand how much Angelflight has grown, Moorabbin handles around 4-5 flights a week now and I think Essendon does the same or more. Not as much as the RFDS (or MAS for Victorians) but getting pretty close at times. Mostly from based pilots but several visitors as well. They are not emergency cases but by god they are important. Mostly trips for long term treatment of serious diseases, the Angelflight operations mean that patients can get to and from Melbourne in an easy day, rather than enduring endless road travel.
Well done Bill, and well done all the volunteer angels!
Phil

Inbound On Descent
5th Nov 2006, 00:30
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ::D

Couldn't agree more. My better half is a "Ground Angel" which basically means she drives the patient / family from the aerodrome to the hospital or vice versa. I've seen and heard first hand how invaluable this service is.

Congratulations Mr Bristow and all involved, and thanks FL for bringing it to our attention !

Inbound :ok:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
6th Nov 2006, 11:31
Angel Flights.....

A means of 'putting something back' into the community / industry in our 'retirement'....and gives a certain amount of pleasure / satisfaction...:D :D

No 1 son is an "Earth Angel' - i.e picks up client from medical centre = surface transport,

Then I fly 'client' home, and when 'NO 1' achieves the required number of hours, he will be able to participate fully as well.

'Tis a very good thing Bill,:ok:

And to all the organisers...Mission Coordinators...:D :D :D

Cheers and Best Regards to all...:ok: :ok:

Kris Lovell
6th Nov 2006, 12:01
I've had the pleasure of flying with Bill and I could not think of a better airman to receive this award.

Someone who has given the weekend warrior and airline pilot alike a very fulfilling reason to go flying.

Well done Bill, and I hope Angel Flight keeps on growing.

PS: Well done to all pilots and ground angels who contribute too!

Kris
:D :D :D :D :D :D

maxgrad
6th Nov 2006, 12:01
Something truly worthy of donations.
Congratulations and well deserved