PDA

View Full Version : EBay - Selling

Jimmy Macintosh
3rd Nov 2006, 22:07
I've a quick question about selling on ebay, I've put something up for sale for about $250, and have received 3 e-mails saying that they would buy the item for $500! I'm at a loss as to why they would do this. Some are saying they'll pay through Western Union Money transfer, and others are asking to pay to my paypal account. The english is a bit ropey in each of the e-mails. My head is screaming 419 scammers!!! but I don't know am I being paranoid?

A V 8
3rd Nov 2006, 22:17
I would say that you're quite right to be cautious.

It could be perfectly innocent in that what you're selling is in short supply and/or that it is worth twice your starting price. But it could be malicious.

My advice would be to continue with the auction as normal. If your item is worth $500 then I'm sure it'll reach that, if not more, once the auction ends. Do not enter into any transaction outside ebay (i think that's contrary to Ebay's Ts and Cs) and wait until the payment has cleared before dispatching the item.

Hope that helps,

AV8

planecrazy.eu
3rd Nov 2006, 22:49
There are some classic tricks with paypal and wester union. western union more so. My advice, stick inside ebay rules, which is dont accept and bids unless they are official, that way you are protected...

I have been stung by both a Western Union and PayPal scam, and its just to easy, and means i accepted it outside ebay t's n c's, they didnt care or didnt want to help...

They always offer stupid high figures too, and always come from foreign countries. If it looks to good to be true, ie $500 for an item that usually sells at $200, then it usually is to good...

Tips when sending, always use recorded delivery so it can be traced, and always get the cash firm untill you send. With PayPal this is easy, with western union, make sure you collect the cash, rather than dispatcing when you get the payment note.

Jimmy Macintosh
3rd Nov 2006, 23:02
Thanks so far, they are helpful suggestions. I don't want to work outside ebay rules and I have a couple of the items available.

If I give someone my paypal ID is there any way that they can get into my account?

But the gist is, after the auction, highest bidder gets it. If I want to sell the others outside of e-bay make sure the money is in my account before I dispatch. Once someone has sent a payment by western union or paypal is there any way that they can revoke payment?

Sorry for these questions but I've never used ebay before today and I'm paranoid that everyone is just trying to bleed me dry :uhoh: Maybe I'm of too nervous a disposition...

M.Mouse
4th Nov 2006, 00:58
Classic scam, I forget the details but the buyer overpays, you send the goods and the excess payment back. The whole lot turns out to be fraudulent and you end having the original payment rescinded. You are therefore out of pocket due to sending the goods and some of your money and receiving nothing in return.

I forget the intricacies but they tempt people by appealing to the greedier side of human nature.

Take a step back why would somebody offer far more than the current price? If you need to think about that you should question whther you should be using e-bay at all.

Golden Flyer
4th Nov 2006, 01:34
Jimmy Macintosh? I've lost $350 from the same scam....

CHEERS....

IO540
4th Nov 2006, 07:18
May I offer some tips from a seasoned Ebay seller & buyer with 100% good feedback :)

Ignore these "will you accept £XXXX for it NOW" offers. Perhaps some are bogus but in every case I have had that or more in the auction. Just reply with "please bid that amount in the auction".

If selling, never give feedback until the buyer has given you his. If it is good, you can give him good feedback (basically, for prompt payment). He will also know this; he will know that if he gives you bad feedback you will do the same to him ;)

Always describe the item very fully, with a number of close-up pictures, write well and avoid spelling mistakes, and make it clear which items you are not sure about. That way, it makes it very hard for somebody to dispute something. A lot of Ebay sellers are close to illiterate and they leave themselves open to somebody claiming the description was false.

Recorded Delivery is traceable but only if the postman bothered to collect a signature. Often, lazy postmen chuck the package in with the rest of the mail, especially on Saturdays. Then, the PO can't trace it... because nobody accepted it. Special Delivery is much better and is tracked all the way. The postman can still lose it but they rarely do.

Paypal is not guaranteed payment. It can be revoked, even months after the transaction, and Paypal are known to be extremely arrogant when it comes to handling complaints. They are basically not interested. This is what a lot of scammers use; they buy something, and (if it arrives without a signature) then claim they never got it. This scam is very common.

If buying, try to resolve a dispute by private comms before giving negative feedback, otherwise you will get the same from him.

Jet II
4th Nov 2006, 07:34
Paypal is not guaranteed payment. It can be revoked, even months after the transaction, and Paypal are known to be extremely arrogant when it comes to handling complaints.

very true - I have positive feedback of over 100 and I always move any funds out of my Paypal account as soon as they arrive, then if there is any dispute I am in the driving seat.

airborne_artist
4th Nov 2006, 11:58
Jet - however, moving funds out of PayPal might not be enough, as if PayPal have a DD/CC authority they could surely call funds in from your bank account/card?

PPRuNe Pop
4th Nov 2006, 12:29
Treat it as a scam pure and simple.

Let it ride is the safetest way for you to keep your item secure from those who wish to part you from it - and pay nothing.

PPP