PDA

View Full Version : B-2 Bomb Test Run

SkyHawk-N
3rd Nov 2006, 20:58
This is impressive, an EIGHTY 500-lb smart bomb drop from 40,000 feet!

http://das.wisc.edu/~bhp/Pictures/Movies/B-2_with_JDAMs.asx

chiglet
3rd Nov 2006, 21:48
AFAIK.....which ain't much, the 500lb bomb is NOT guided...:uhoh:
Looking at the "video", I think that I would want my money back.....:eek:
watp,iktch

SkyHawk-N
3rd Nov 2006, 21:54
AFAIK.....which ain't much, the 500lb bomb is NOT guided...:uhoh:
Looking at the "video", I think that I would want my money back.....:eek:
watp,iktch

I think those were guided GBU-30 Mk.82 JDAM.

Loki
4th Nov 2006, 10:43
A pity really with all that desert available, that a more realistic airfield target could not have been devised. Don`t think Ive ever seen an airfield layout such as that simulated, with buildings and dispersals etc only a few meters from the runway centreline.....perhaps hitting all the targets on a real site would have been impossible. If so what was the point of the exercise?

ORAC
4th Nov 2006, 15:47
I'd disagree,

The weapon obviously has few aerodynamic surfaces, so it's manouvreability is limited.

Next. look at the launch sequence. There are obviously pauses and the drops can be tied to the target concentrations, and remember that opening the bomb bay destroys the B-2 stealth signature so, if they could, they would have dropped a single concentrated stick.

The above demonstrates to me a limited off-axis capability - and a tactic, a la Serbia, of having a slightly off axis, high -speed, SAM, with an antenna pointing straight up. (and I hope they got around the problem of the EW Tx jamming the GPS receivers so they had to be turned off at exactly ther time of the drop..)

r supwoods
4th Nov 2006, 16:44
Just need the yanks to update the map so that it doesn't go through the Chinese Embassy := .... or for that matter get the right country :oh:

SASless
25th Nov 2006, 01:54
I found this video a bit interesting.....most times they feel lucky to hit the same country.
http://das.wisc.edu/~bhp/Pictures/Movies/B-2_with_JDAMs.asx

Edit: The link doesn't work!

PPRuNeUser0211
25th Nov 2006, 08:26
can anyone explain exactly what percentage of the rifraf would be required to put that many bombs on target? And when do we invest in B2s....?

Tourist
25th Nov 2006, 11:12
Interested to know whether it took 4 days to program them all, or whether it is just point and click with a mouse over a picture.

green granite
25th Nov 2006, 12:22
That takes me back to younger days on weapon trials at Larkhill. the best we could manage were 21 x 1000 pounders out of a Vulcan :{

As pba_target says, when do we invest in B2s

gar170
25th Nov 2006, 12:35
Now all they have to do is spend just as much in identifying the targets correctly.
A 45 ft ISO dos not leave relatives.

Skua'd
25th Nov 2006, 16:21
A 10-13 metre CEP (50% within of bombs within that range) is a pretty good level of accuracy compared to some of the weapons out there. I suspect unlike us Brits, the yanks do have better IT with which to do the targetting...