PDA

View Full Version : Russian Pilot License?

EchoMike
2nd Nov 2006, 20:07
I may have to go to St. Petersburg next spring (on business) and I think I'd like to bring home a Russian Pilot License as a rather unique remembrance.

I have an FAA private pilot license (ASEL) and I'm an AGI (Advanced Ground School Instructor), so if there is any reciprocity (as in FAA < > CAA) I figure I just might be able to take a test or two and get the license.

What's involved in a Russian-issue PPL? Of course, I don't want to trade in my FAA stuff because I need it here. Do they honor my present license or would I be expected to start cold at zero hours?

Written tests? Flight test? Language? Costs? Is this even possible?

Best Regards,

Echo Mike

VFR-Seek and Destroy
2nd Nov 2006, 20:48
Hopefully someone on this forum can help you.

I pretty certain you've helped many of them of realising their dream in obtaining a UK pilot's license/certificate.

wbryce
2nd Nov 2006, 21:29
I may be wrong but I had a friend who stayed in Russia for a while - he wished to do his PPL(H) and I can remember him telling me the hurdle which stopped him is you must speak Russian to go solo...I dont know if its true or not.

EchoMike
3rd Nov 2006, 01:32
Hopefully someone on this forum can help you.

I pretty certain you've helped many of them of realising their dream in obtaining a UK pilot's license/certificate.

You are too kind. ;-)

I have to tell you that I really, really do want ALL my students to be successful, and I get a great kick when they come over to me on the last day with a huge grin and say "Hey, I got my license!!!" I know how much I treasure mine, and I am honored to be able to pass this along.

Best Regards,

Echo Mike

crap pilot
3rd Nov 2006, 08:45
I seem to remember reading that you either need to speak russian or that you need to hire a russian navigator. I looked into this myself a few years ago, but decided it was a non starter. Cant remember why though, sorry.

Ive just realised that this isnt very helpfull at all, sorry.