PDA

View Full Version : 28 Squadron Spitfires Kai Tak 1949-1951

Mark22
2nd Nov 2006, 20:00
I am in the process of preparing drawings for the repaint of a certain Mk XVIII Spitfire at Duxford....no guesses.
The most probably scheme at this time is one representing a machine from 28 Squadron based at Kai Tak post WWII.
Just about every reference image so far accumulated has differing styles and positionals for the principal markings.
The attached cockpit image and insignia was certainly new to me and has much potential to be included in the scheme.
A request. Does anybody out there please have any further details on this particular machine, code letter, style of roundels etc or indeed any personal shots from this unit that they could share?
Many thanks
PeterA
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/Album%203/Spit18.jpg

chris keeping
4th Nov 2006, 04:44
Mark22. Hi there, I know your Spitfire very well, clambered all over it when it was a Royal Hong Kong Auxiliary Air Force gate guardian at Kai Tak. You may be interested to know that Ray Hanna was very interested in getting her airborne again when he was based in Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific, I believe he had actually sourced an engine, but nothing more came of the project, and she was later shipped off to Duxford. I thought that the agreement with Duxford was that she should remain in Hong Kong Auxiliary Air Force colours? I have to say I think that this would be appropriate since they were the last unit to fly the Spitfire operationally. Be that as it may are you sure this is a Mark18. I always understood that it was a Mark 24 that operated with 80 Squadron RAF, who then donated their Spitfires to the RHKAAF.

Mark22
4th Nov 2006, 10:14
Mark22. Hi there, I know your Spitfire very well, clambered all over it when it was a Royal Hong Kong Auxiliary Air Force gate guardian at Kai Tak. You may be interested to know that Ray Hanna was very interested in getting her airborne again when he was based in Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific, I believe he had actually sourced an engine, but nothing more came of the project, and she was later shipped off to Duxford. I thought that the agreement with Duxford was that she should remain in Hong Kong Auxiliary Air Force colours? I have to say I think that this would be appropriate since they were the last unit to fly the Spitfire operationally. Be that as it may are you sure this is a Mark18. I always understood that it was a Mark 24 that operated with 80 Squadron RAF, who then donated their Spitfires to the RHKAAF.
Chris,
Wrong Spitfire I am afraid.
VN485 the ex HKAAF Mk 24 is at Duxford and was recently statically refurbished in the silver livery of the HKAAF when at Kai Tak.
The Spitfire I am researching is for an airworthy Duxford based ex Indian Air Force Mk XVIII. The scheme being considered is for a 28 Squadron machine which were also based at Kai Tak. Although there is no guaranteed proof, it is a reasonable assumption that the image I posted, with the large 28 Squadron insignia ahead of the access door, is actually a serving 28 Squadron machine. It is further details and confirmation of this that I am trying to flesh out.
Best regards and thanks - PeterA

chris keeping
4th Nov 2006, 23:55
Peter. Well that's clarified the situation, I am relieved that the RHKAAF Mk 24, will remain in her Hong Kong colours. So far as your project is concerned I may be of some help. Drop Gordon Andreassand a line, he is a member of the Hong Kong Historical Aviation Society. His E mail is [email protected] If you can't make contact get back to me. Chris

NutLoose
5th Nov 2006, 22:51
Stupid question, but have you contacted the PRO @ 28 Sqdn, they may be able to help you.

For those mentioning it the 24 is shown here :)

http://briansspitfiregallery.fotopic.net/c865424.html

mafibacon
11th Nov 2006, 14:48
A bit of thread drift.

I was at Kai Tak with my Dad between 1948 and 1951 and remember sitting fishing watching the Spitfires coming in over Lion Rock.

I recall hearing from my dad about some Spitfires hitting the airport fence until a checkerboard - yellow and black was put on it.

I did once witness a Beaufighter overshoot and the subsequent rescue of the crew.

It was odd returning to Kai Tak many years later to work for CX!

Sorry about the drift - happy memories!

MB

LXXIV
17th Nov 2006, 10:14
Mark 22,
I have a photograph of Spitfire Mk XVIII TP 362, 'D-Dog', engine running, ready to taxi from the dispersal at Sek Kong in the New Territories, where 28 Squadron was operating in 1950. The picture was taken by me in late August or early September 1950. It shows markings: tail band, Squadron letter, etc.
I am pretty sure that the Squadron badge on the picture you show didn't appear on the aircraft during my time.
I don't know how to post the picture, so if you pm me, I can email it and another, poorer quality one which shows the port side of another aircraft, 'X-Ray' which lacks the badge you show.
LXXIV

Evileyes
17th Nov 2006, 17:43
How to post pictures:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=203481

Davidwootton
25th Mar 2012, 20:25
By chance I found this forum and saw the photo of the spitfire pilot in a 28 squadron Spitfire.
The pilot is my father, Bob Wootton who flew with 28 Sq. in Singapore, Kl and Penang in 1946-1948
sadly father died 9th Jan 2012

I wondered whether it is possible to get a copy of the photo. We have his photo album should you be interested of 28 sq. then.

My contact details are - David Wootton
[email protected] 01366 324346

Thank you

Wander00
28th Mar 2012, 07:59
Mark22 - please see pm

Cheers

W