PDA

View Full Version : Medical Question

Ranger5
2nd Nov 2006, 14:36
I have passed a few aircrew medicals already, and I am waiting to go onto IOT at the end of uni and on as a pilot. I was wondering what the A G Z stood for in the medical results e.g. A1 G1 Z1. And what it means if there is a higher number e.g. A3 G1 Z1?
Can anyone help me?
Another quick question, at what point will eyesight falling below 6/6 not have u chucked out of the service, but prescribed aircrew glasses? I.e when do they feel they have spent enough money on you to warrent not chopping you!?

charliegolf
2nd Nov 2006, 14:43
A1 G1 Z1: Good question.

When I asked the question 25 years ago, the wise sages on the squadron assured me they stood for:

Air; Ground and Zone. Or, are you fit enough for Aircrew, Ground trades, and are there Zones where you can't work?

Younger, newer old sages will soon confirm or deny this.

CG

GipsyMagpie
2nd Nov 2006, 15:40
Spot on.

A3 is not as good as A1. That's about it.

k3k3
2nd Nov 2006, 15:40
Ground tradesmen who are fully fit usually have an A4 G1 Z1, so Charlies logic holds water.

From another old sage.

TMJ
2nd Nov 2006, 15:58
I have passed a few aircrew medicals already, and I am waiting to go onto IOT at the end of uni and on as a pilot. I was wondering what the A G Z stood for in the medical results e.g. A1 G1 Z1. And what it means if there is a higher number e.g. A3 G1 Z1?
Can anyone help me?

A = Air
G = Ground
Z = Zone
The lower the number the better.

(a) Factor ‘A’.
(i) A1 - fit for full flying duties of his branch/trade or restricted employability only because of anthropometric limitations.
(ii) A2 - fit for full flying duties of his branch/trade, but awarded to aircrew who would be A1 but for refractive error or a hearing standard reduced to H2.
(iii) A3 - fit for limited flying duties (limitations to be stated).
(iv) A4 - fit to fly as a passenger in a normal passenger carrying aircraft or as a patient on an aeromedical evacuation flight.
(v) A5 - unfit to be taken into the air.
(b) Factor ‘G’.
(i) G1 - fit for full ground duties of his branch/trade, including all general service duties and meets the minimum PULHHEEMS profile for his branch trade as detailed in AP1269A (RAF Manual – Assessment of Medical Fitness).
(ii) G2 - fit for full ground duties of his branch/trade, including all general service duties, but requires a medical marker, or does not meet the minimum PULHHEEMS profile for G1 in his branch/trade as detailed in AP1269A (RAF Manual – Assessment of Medical Fitness) or has a limitation to a non-essential duty.
(iii) G3 - fit for full ground duties of his branch/trade but fit for limited essential general service duties only.
(iv) G4 - fit for limited ground duties of his branch/trade (limitation to be stated).
(v) G5 - unfit for all ground duties.
(c) Factor ‘Z’.
(i) Z1 - fit to serve anywhere in the world with no climatic restriction.
(ii) Z2 - fit to serve anywhere in the world except in environments of low temperature.
(iii) Z3 - fit to serve anywhere in the world except in environments of high temperature and/or humidity.
(iv) Z4 - fit to serve in temperate climates only.
(v) Z5 - fit to serve in the UK only.

Ranger5
4th Nov 2006, 11:53
Thankyou very much all.